Thread: Steelers defense vs Tight Ends

Steelers defense vs Tight Ends

Through 8 games the Steelers are giving up on average 72.9 yards a game and 4 touchdowns over the course of 8 games to Tight Ends.

Using this data, that would equate to 1,166.40 yards surrendered and 8 touchdowns for the season. A high number that looks like we are playing Pro Bowl TE's.
    This is something the coaches need to figure out quickly, much of it is situational football. Bostic and Williams are easy pickings. Fort is better in coverage. How much remains to be seen. Can any of our safeties help out?

Our top AFC rivals, New England and Kanas City have good tight ends.
    Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 11 seasons, and most of those came early.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Through 8 games the Steelers are giving up on average 72.9 yards a game and 4 touchdowns over the course of 8 games to Tight Ends.

Using this data, that would equate to 1,166.40 yards surrendered and 8 touchdowns for the season. A high number that looks like we are playing Pro Bowl TE's.
    This is something the coaches need to figure out quickly, much of it is situational football. Bostic and Williams are easy pickings. Fort is better in coverage. How much remains to be seen. Can any of our safeties help out?

Our top AFC rivals, New England and Kanas City have good tight ends.
    D has steadily improved the last month. I am sure they are working on it as I know Fort and Burnett are in there a significant amount of time.

Just a process.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    D has steadily improved the last month. I am sure they are working on it as I know Fort and Burnett are in there a significant amount of time.

Just a process.
    While I agree, Fort could have been used much sooner. Burnett did not look that good. Maybe he's still on the mend or rusty? Edmunds with his size and speed could match up with tight ends, if he's ready. And of course we have rookie Matt Thomas, who has the height and speed to do it at well. Thomas was actually given a look in the nickel in the pre-season and looked good in coverage.

I think out of all the players, Thomas upside for this role is the best.

We'll see which combination the coaches decide on. Williams better not be in the nickel, or on the field on obvious passing down, neither should Bostic

O
    Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 11 seasons, and most of those came early.

While I agree, Fort could have been used much sooner. Burnett did not look that good. Maybe he's still on the mend or rusty? Edmunds with his size and speed could match up with tight ends, if he's ready. And of course we have rookie Matt Thomas, who has the height and speed to do it at well. Thomas was actually given a look in the nickel in the pre-season and looked good in coverage.

I think out of all the players, Thomas upside for this role is the best.

We'll see which combination the coaches decide on. Williams better not be in the nickel, or on the field on obvious passing down, neither should Bostic

O
    I am sure it is just rust for Burnett, he missed a decent amount of time...............

Stacking Wins!!!!!!

I am sure it is just rust for Burnett, he missed a decent amount of time...............
    Honestly, I'd rather have Marcus Allen in there than Burnett. bigger, faster, hits harder.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather have Marcus Allen in there than Burnett. bigger, faster, hits harder.
    Cope,

What do you mean by faster? Allen ran a 4.60 at his pro day. That is below average speed for a safety. What is Burnett's speed?

When I checked Allen's college production, I noticed in 49 games ( 4 seasons worth ) he had just 10 passes defensed, and 1 interception. That's it.

His ball skills to me are questionable, and yes I did see him play in full games. I see a special teams guy with less coverage ability than say Golden.

Stacking Wins!!!!!!

Cope,

What do you mean by faster? Allen ran a 4.60 at his pro day. That is below average speed for a safety. What is Burnett's speed?

When I checked Allen's college production, I noticed in 49 games ( 4 seasons worth ) he had just 10 passes defensed, and 1 interception. That's it.

His ball skills to me are questionable, and yes I did see him play in full games. I see a special teams guy with less coverage ability than say Golden.
    There ain't a lot of difference between a 4.6 and a 4.5, that most fast safeties run. On film, he covers ground better than his time, and this preseason, he was everywhere in the 4th preseason game. And in the pros (albiet preseason against college all stars) 11 tackles 1 INT 1 FF. Much like Thomas, who I agree with you, should be on the field in some capacity, both were making splash plays in the pre season.

Every defensive scheme has a hole. They could probably do something to combat this issue, but it would only create another issue. They bring a lot of pressure and when it doesn't get home there will always be a crease in the middle in front of the safety.

The middle on third and long is our bad spot, especially against big TE'S

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Allen does intrigue me. I think he just hasn't earned their trust yet. And with this season at the half way point. I think his opportunity to see the field is closing quickly.

Stacking Wins!!!!!!

Allen does intrigue me. I think he just hasn't earned their trust yet. And with this season at the half way point. I think his opportunity to see the field is closing quickly.
    I agree, the team feels that way, I just wanted to see him get a chance, and he can't do worse than a Burnett trying to get up to Weed 9 game speed after not playing for half a year.

The tight end position has really evolved over the past decade or so. There are many more freakishly big, fast, athletic TEs than in years past. I'd be willing to bet most teams would have similar season-long numbers to the ones you posted. It's just the mismatches they create. I think many of us argued for years that we wished the Steelers would utilize Heath Miller more as a pass catcher. But we always had good receivers. Who are NE's or KCs great receivers? I think it's one or the other...there's only so many balls to go around.

Allen was projected as a rnd 3 pick running a 4.6 which is like OLB/MLB 40 time could be why he fell to the 5th. vs the Pats, Saints I want to see a combination of Fort Edmunds going where ever gronk and Watson go goes.
    Steelers fan since 1997
    Toronto maple Leaf fan since 1989
    Toronto Raptors fan since day 1 1995
    Toronto Blue Jays fan since 1989

Tight ends have been eating our lunch for years and have and will this year. If I’m a tightend I’d be hoping to play this defense. Every since Troy retired and they started flagging rough tackling we have been easy prey for tight ends. You would think the powers that be would make defending gronk a priority, if you can defend him you can probably defend the rest but noooooooo.... maybe they hope gronk gets ran over on his way to the stadium... because that’s the only way this defense will stop him!

Seems to be a weak spot covering the TE'S especially over the middle. How many times on third down that has been the play that has kept the defense from getting off the field.

Which team is best at defensing TE's and what is their record? Seems like I see a lot of TE catches.

Stacking Wins!!!!!!

Greg Olsen 4 catches 40yds 0TDs...