Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Irving made a point?

  1. #1

    Irving made a point?

    He said conner is getting the numbers because teams donít load the box to stop him as they do for LeíVeon. Thoughts ?

  2. #2
    Found this -
    But Conner’s season is more than just the product of a strong environment. He has accrued those stats despite opposing defenses putting eight or more defenders in the box on 30.5 percent of his snaps this season, the eighth-highest figure in the league and 1.5 times as often as Bell faced a stacked box in 2017.
    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1...rs-leveon-bell

    The Following 8 Users Like This Post:



  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDavenport View Post
    I found something similar on another site, but it was using some % lik 54% of the time for Conner, which seemed unlikely.

  4. #4
    Member SteelBuckeye's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    6,002
    Rep Power
    176
    So, the percentages/stats tell us that Irvin didn't do his homework before making his statement.
    Elfiero: ... Bill Bellichick has been to 6? SB's and won 4 . Does he act like a 14 year old?

    Litos: 14 year old kids like to cheat

  5. #5
    Member Omar10213245's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SW OHIO
    Posts
    5,302
    Rep Power
    162
    Who the fuck is Irving? Irving Fryar?

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  6. #6
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    584
    Rep Power
    51
    Mike must be hitting the pipe again.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  7. #7
    Well then which is it. Cause if they aren't loading the box and Ben is ripping them up. Then he is an MVP candidate. Reality, as good as Bell is he didn't gash teams for 25 plus yards at near the rate Connor has. And let's say Bell is a better player. He sure as fuck is not 16 or 17 million dollars better.

  8. #8
    Member Drink IRON City's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    between $2 short & ten buck two
    Posts
    9,472
    Rep Power
    245
    It seems the talking heads are trying to get MEon "his" money. I think they feel if the STEELERS pay him then they'd be in "CAP" hell and thus put a lesser team on the field. I have always felt what ever the talking heads are leaning / steering to that the STEELERS should do the opposite. So many iof these talking heads have been beaten by the STEELERS and continue to demise revenge. BELL needs to be gone, end of story.

    JAMES CONNER is averaging near 8yards a game MORE than the player who isn't here, it's NOT James Connor's fault what or who he faces so this stat like example is just a way of twisting the number to make the absentee look / value better.

    Who Ride?????? JAMES CONNOR RIDES..!!!!!!!!


    OH and PS,.......how many TDs did bell have last year full season????? How many CONNOR have this PART SEASON???????


    Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

    The Following 6 Users Like This Post:



  9. #9
    Maybe but teams are double and triple covering AB now just like they did when Bell was in there. So, I am not sure how much stacking the box they were really doing against us before. It was pick your poison then and it is pick your poison now the more they realize how good Conner is. If he wouldn't have gotten the concussion in the first half (and should have never been allowed back on the field), he would have easily had another 100+ from scrimmage last night.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampYINZ View Post
    He said conner is getting the numbers because teams donít load the box to stop him as they do for LeíVeon. Thoughts ?
    LeVeon had Ben, JuJu, and AB for opposing defenses to contend with just as Connor has. I doubt defenses changed there schemes because James Washington replaced Martavius Bryant.

  11. #11
    Member thesteelcity's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,353
    Rep Power
    183
    Conner is producing and is HERE. I don't care why he is doing well. He IS making a lot of fans forget about Bell. It's a team game and all the parts have to work well together.

    The Following 4 Users Like This Post:



  12. #12
    So teams aren't loading the box, I guess Ben is having a horrible season since everyone is playing coverage

    Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  13. #13
    Yea that is the reason, does Irving watch anything but himself on TV?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSask View Post
    Well then which is it. Cause if they aren't loading the box and Ben is ripping them up. Then he is an MVP candidate. Reality, as good as Bell is he didn't gash teams for 25 plus yards at near the rate Connor has. And let's say Bell is a better player. He sure as fuck is not 16 or 17 million dollars better.
    Clear that Michael Irving talks out of ass b/c teams do in fact load the box, and in a big way for Conner. Yet still Conner has found a way.

    Your point about Bell not being $17M better skill-wise than Conner might be true. Then again teams pay the left tackle tens of millions of dollars not because they are multiples better physical blockers than say their guards, but because the left tackle protects the quarterback by slowing down the fiercest of the rush from the blind side. We might indeed see that teams start dramatically backing off the LOS when Conner is in there. However, it is was never mentioned and I think it's worth considering that the reason that Bell commands so much more money is not only because he's also a dangerous receiver, but because Bell protects the quarterback by making the front seven back off of: blitzes, gap shooting, unbalanced/ outside rushes and lane assignment departures. Conner may very well prove to fill exactly that role, but for some reason no one acknowledges that about Bell -- he is much more than just a running back. The more Conner keeps laying a beat down on good defenses, the more HE becomes more than just a running back.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampYINZ View Post
    He said conner is getting the numbers because teams don’t load the box to stop him as they do for Le’Veon. Thoughts ?
    Bell had the same weapons on the outside teams doubled.

  16. #16
    The next valid point MIchael Irving makes will be his first.

    The Following 3 Users Like This Post:



  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneuno View Post
    The next valid point MIchael Irving makes will be his first.
    He should just stick to coke and whores.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

    The Following 3 Users Like This Post:



  18. #18
    Time 4 Real Football!!!
    Cope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Section 228
    Posts
    10,840
    Rep Power
    272
    And what's the problem with running against a 7 man front? It's called good coaching, good scheming, and every team in the league does it. You put 8 in the box? Play action TD to JuJu. Going deep safeties? Conner up the middle for 8.

    You take what they give you, and Fichner has proven this season, he's smart enough to do the opposite of what the defense is set for. Ben is making excellent reads in this regard as well.

    The Following 4 Users Like This Post:



  19. #19
    That's exactly the problem I have with former jocks as analysts. These guys never watch all of the games and have no clue what's going on. Irvin states something that's completely false and then you get people buying into it. There are tons of talented writers out there who'd be outstanding on pregame shows. They actually sit and watch game tape and break teams down. Would love to get those types of voices on TV.

  20. #20
    Member Hines57's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,331
    Rep Power
    122
    Irvin was out at the titty bar making it rain Wednesday night in the Burgh. Must have snorted a little too much coke
    Fire Mikey Cool Shades

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Follow @SteeIerNation