Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some of the Media in Pgh.Continue to back Tomlin

Some of the Media in Pgh.Continue to back Tomlin

Listening to 93.7 The Fan Ron Cook continues to support Tomlin and always always asks the callers, "well who would you replace him with?" Throws out his regular season win loss record but never talks about his piss poor playoff record. The callers are not selecting possible coaching candidates so he puts them on the spot but I wish someone would throw out Munchack just once to shut his mouth. This guy is rude to callers that don't agree with his views ad who criticize Tomlin. Ed Bouchette is another one like Cook. I'm done listening to this clown and will tune in to Stan Savaran on ESPN. At least he's more objective and allows his callers to be objective and voice their opinions without chastising them.

The question that needs to be asked to these talk show hosts is this: Why do the Steelers seem to put their best foot forward against the better teams like the Pats and Saints but show no such effort against weaker opponents like the Broncos, Browns and Raiders. Thats on the coach and the mental attitude and preparation and game plan. Then the other question is how do you blow a 16 point half time lead against the Chargers and continue covering their best receiver with a LBer? Ask these questions to Cook.
    Last edited by steelhurt; 12-24-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Fuck Ron Cook.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I miss Stan and Guy.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Some of the Media in Pgh.Continue to back Tomlin

If there was a sure fire “better” option we could all agree upon ahead of time with no psychic powers, that person would not be available as they would be someone’s head coach right now

Did anyone consider “Mike Tomlin” a viable HC candidate during Cowher’s last season? Who would have said “well Cowher is leaving.. thank god we are going to be able to replace him with Mike Tomlin!” Were fans of bad teams clamoring for future coaching superstars “Matt Nagy” and “Sean McVay” before their HC gigs began?

No.. we as fans (and even media) aren’t always privy to the hype in coaching circles around certain guys. Just because we don’t know who someone is at this moment in time doesn’t mean it’s impossible for them to be an upgrade over Tomlin. None of us knew who Tomlin was before we interviewed him either. This is the absolute lamest cop out of all time. Had you told me after the AFC championship game against the Jets (2010 season) that we would not beat the Packers in the SB, and would only win 3 more playoff games by the end of 2018 (not including a SB), then I’d say that is not up to the standard. It is currently not up to the standard. So “who would you replace him with?” is an invalid question because he is not doing a good enough job, period. Just because he is in that spot and we “know” him doesn’t make him better for the job than the hypothetical next Matt Nagy or Sean McVay. Doesn’t make him worse either, but we’ll never know if we continue to be satisfied with mediocrity just because we are familiar with this brand of mediocrity. Fuck off Cook

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

I posted about this in the other thread.

Apparently these Tomlin apologists expect present day Steeler fans to play it safe and accept underachieving mediocrity.

Ron Cook's only retort is, "who is better than MT and who do you replace him with?" The problem, most of the yinzer listeners mention Mike McCarthy or Mike Munchak and he jumps all over them. Ron Cook has the media ego working OT today. I had to turn the station because he was screaming at a caller and seems very unhinged.

And Cook never fails to say we Steeler fans act like its our birthright that we be in the super bowl every year and that Tomlin has the Steelers in the hunt for the playoffs every season. We as Steeler fans are spoiled. He completely misses the point that the team is loaded with talent every year therefore should be in the hunt but thats about all it ever amounts to, in the hunt. We get in the playoffs and the hunt is over.

Aggie brings up a great point about coaches that we don't know about that could be better fits than Tomlin whom we never heard of until he walked into Dan's office 12 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhurt View Post
    And Cook never fails to say we Steeler fans act like its our birthright that we be in the super bowl every year and that Tomlin has the Steelers in the hunt for the playoffs every season. We as Steeler fans are spoiled. He completely misses the point that the team is loaded with talent every year therefore should be in the hunt but thats about all it ever amounts to, in the hunt. We get in the playoffs and the hunt is over.

Aggie brings up a great point about coaches that we don't know about that could be better fits than Tomlin whom we never heard of until he walked into Dan's office 12 years ago.
    Exactly. “In the hunt for the playoffs” is not a good enough measuring stick when your team is *loaded with talent*

The Tennessee Titans are ahead of us in the standings and I can’t name more than a handful of guys on that roster. I’m not sure they have a single perennial Pro Bowler or HOF player.

The Rats are about to win the division over us playing Flacco at QB half the year and a rookie who can’t pass for the other half. Their receivers are Crabtree, John Brown, and Willie Snead. Ours are HOFer Antonio Brown, and possibly future HOFer JuJu. We have the best pass protecting o line in the league - they don’t. Their running back’s name is “Gus Edwards”.

Sure their defense is on point but name me 5 guys on that defense. Their front 7 is swarming people but I don’t know who they are. John Harbaugh wins and creates competitiveness with whoever he has. Even Vrabel is over there getting something out of the guys in Tennessee. More than we’re getting out of a top 3 (maybe even best) roster in the NFL.

It is a god damn embarrassment and a testament to Tomlin’s mediocrity that “in the hunt for the playoffs” is satisfying to anyone with a roster built for CHAMPIONSHIPS

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 9 Users Like This Post:

I replace him with the best available candidate that will be lining up at the door and the line will be fucking long with the job security this organization offers. I would be interested in Munch. Frankly I would take a big pass on McCarthy. But there will be 32 OC's and another 32 DC's who will be drooling over this job. And honestly nearly all of them will have way more experience then Tomlin came with. The better question is what are you afraid of. They had a HOF QB, top offensive line the best WR in the league and up until this year the best running back. Do you honestly believe that anyone of competence couldn't at least duplicate what they have done for the past 5 years with that. C'mon. give me a break.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I miss Stan and Guy.
    Loved the show......

Not even in the hunt, now they are on the outside looking in. So bad of a year that only the browns can help us get in.

Yeah that bad.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

We don't need a recycled head coach.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Stan Savran is the only older host that will call out coaches, including the HC. Except for Tim Benz, all the other radio personalities are apologists. I use to listen to Tunch & Wolf but their act is old. They twist themselves into pretzels making excuses for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Ballin View Post
    Stan Savran is the only older host that will call out coaches, including the HC. Except for Tim Benz, all the other radio personalities are apologists. I use to listen to Tunch & Wolf but their act is old. They twist themselves into pretzels making excuses for this team.
    Tunch and Wolf most definitely the most knowledgeable of the media with their playing experience but they're not going against Steeler brass by criticizing the affirmative action hire, no way. It will be interesting if we here any comments negatively from the minority owners this time around.

Given a HOF bound QB, just about every fan on this board could have them in the hunt every year.

In the hunt just means they are slightly above average.

Blog Entries
    Pittsburgh media has no balls it sounds like.

Blog Entries
    Tunch and Wolf most definitely the most knowledgeable of the media with their playing experience but they're not going against Steeler brass by criticizing the affirmative action hire, no way. It will be interesting if we here any comments negatively from the minority owners this time around.
    Aren't Tunch & Wolf on the Steelers payroll?
    Could be the reason why

There was some pressure after the Oak game but they went back to worshipping him after the * game.

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Aren't Tunch & Wolf on the Steelers payroll?
    Could be the reason why
    If they are I'm unaware of it. Don't really know who they are employed by.

Blog Entries
    If they are I'm unaware of it. Don't really know who they are employed by.
    They make appearances on the official Steelers website. I just assumed