Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com2019 NHL Stadium Series Gear Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dead Horse Beaten: Talking Heads were right about Bell

Connor being injured really fucked it up. They had an amount they were prepared to pay Bell. He wouldn't sign for that. Talking about him playing out this year is conjecture and fantasy. He didn't want to play for fear of injury. What was the FO supposed to do. Besides they average a shade under 28 points per game. Unless they planned to use Bell as a playmaking DB he doesn't fix the problem. Maybe they make the playoffs but that just masks the real stench.

Bell had no interest in coming back, period. So why kick ourselves over something that had no chance of happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers1356 View Post
    Bell had no interest in coming back, period. So why kick ourselves over something that had no chance of happening?
    Yeah, I don't get why some don't understand this. You don't decide to pass up all of that money and sit out a majority of the season only to come back for the final stretch where a potential injury could possibly make you miss a second straight season. Made zero sense from Bell's perspective to return.

Quote Originally Posted by FSF View Post

But the moment Conner began struggling and got hurt, the Steelers began struggling. Losing 4 games with leads in the 4th quarter.....
    I agree, ever since Conner could not suit up for the Defense, they have been giving up enough points to lose games.

Conner played great, Better than anyone could have imagined, until Tomlin ran him into the ground, but he is no Le'Veon Bell Every 4th quarter lead that was given up could have been a win with Bell.
    You hold 4th quarter leads by moving the chains and bleeding the clock with a solid running game.
    Steelers are 31'st in the league rushing, despite having arguably the best O-line in football.

You can spin that all you want but the numbers don't lie

Not to mention the loss of Bell hurts the WR position due to how defenses do not have to account for a guy like Bell

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Who is this Bell you speak of?

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MT~Forged View Post
    I agree, ever since Conner could not suit up for the Defense, they have been giving up enough points to lose games.
    You could say that;

Or you could recognize that successfully running the ball helps keep the defense off the field as well as fresher.

You know, like the way the Steelers have won for the better part of 40 years

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

A stupid post. Bell wouldn’t have made a difference. He’s usually hurt this time of year anyway. JaySam played great ball. Numbers comparable to Bell this time of year as well. Jump off this stupid over played Cris Carter train.

Fuck Bell and anyone who’s on his dick. Stupid dribble of a thread.

What if Franco comes back? Huh?!? Not gonna happen, not worth the bandwidth and neither is MeVeon ring that quitters Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by awboatguy View Post
    A stupid post. Bell wouldn’t have made a difference. He’s usually hurt this time of year anyway. JaySam played great ball. Numbers comparable to Bell this time of year as well. Jump off this stupid over played Cris Carter train.

Fuck Bell and anyone who’s on his dick. Stupid dribble of a thread.

What if Franco comes back? Huh?!? Not gonna happen, not worth the bandwidth and neither is MeVeon ring that quitters Bell.

Curious as to his “usually being hurt this time of year” influence you too call something stupid.

How would he be injured? He hadn’t played!

The Franco comparison defies any semblance of logic. Was Harris in town to sign his franchise tender or in conversation with the team to return the final 6 games?

It’s not personal, it’s business. It would have been best for business if he were reserve for Conner down stretch run.

As for “stupid”, I’m betting you never ran a business so won’t try to relate that sense to you.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers1356 View Post
    Have to disagree, why else would he come to Pittsburgh that final week.

They just couldn’t agree to transition tag, money etc.

Like said I wasn’t in building but it’s well reported both sides talked

Have to disagree, why else would he come to Pittsburgh that final week.

They just couldn’t agree to transition tag, money etc.

Like said I wasn’t in building but it’s well reported both sides talked

There was nothing to negotiate. There is a deadline in the offseason for signing franchise tagged players to long term deals and it passed. The steelers made a big offer and Bell himself said that the steelers offer was good and they negotiated in good faith, he just wanted more.

After that date passed, there was no negotiation. Bell gets the franchise tag amount. Some pointed out that the steelers could choose to pay him more but why the hell would they do that? It still would not be a long term deal and then how would they ever negotiate with anybody again?

Everybody would then expect special treatment. Sure the CBA says you pay me X but I demand Y because you did that for Bell and i'm better than him.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tapeANaspirin2it View Post
    There was nothing to negotiate. There is a deadline in the offseason for signing franchise tagged players to long term deals and it passed. The steelers made a big offer and Bell himself said that the steelers offer was good and they negotiated in good faith, he just wanted more.

After that date passed, there was no negotiation. Bell gets the franchise tag amount. Some pointed out that the steelers could choose to pay him more but why the hell would they do that? It still would not be a long term deal and then how would they ever negotiate with anybody again?

Everybody would then expect special treatment. Sure the CBA says you pay me X but I demand Y because you did that for Bell and i'm better than him.
    They reportedly did try to talk contract going forward; not just this year.

And the point over the transition tag was discussed; Bell didn’t want it applied and Steelers wouldn’t agree.

Bells contract situation is unprecedented and will be you to some kind of arbitration

Esteemed Throbbing Member

I believe he was in town that last week as a show of good faith. He was hopeful something could happen, but I don't truly believe his heart is in the game. I think he's got a case of Rasharditis and would rather do something else than run his body into bigger dudes and be sore/injured for a year. With this year off, I can't see it benefitting him in any way. He was never the fastest guy on the field, and his style of running wasn't always on full display until he cut weight. Now he's a year older - though still in his athletic prime - and also a year older to that RB cliff. Which, due to his layoff, could be expedited.

the point over the transition tag... Bell didn’t want it applied and Steelers wouldn’t agree.
    So all they had to do is agree no tag again and we would be sitting on a bye week, brilliant

Stupid stubborn arrogant living in the 80s negotiating cost us the season, just like i perdicted!

Lifetime

Blog Entries
    The offense in general and not having Bell in particular weren't the main problems this year. Main problem is the defense and ST's.
    "It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a disposition to drunkenness among the common people; but that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776

You could say that;

Or you could recognize that successfully running the ball helps keep the defense off the field as well as fresher.

You know, like the way the Steelers have won for the better part of 40 years

I agree that you can say that, you could also say that the D could stop teams at least a few times. There are any number of ways to win games, any of them would have made a difference.

The Steeler's front office had to make a stand with Bell. They did it in the business interests of the league instead of giving the best back on the planet his money and sacrificed this season in the process.

They knew that it might come to that from the get go, the fans as usual don't get it.

With Bell we would have cruised into the playoffs, no one.. not Conner, or anyone else they can bring in can do what Bell can do when he lines up on the LOS. Just on the issue of ball security...we would be talking playoff seeding right now instead of praying for the Clowns to save us.

Gotta give Bell credit too for being a smart cat. He knew the Steelers were going to tag him, try to run the wheels off him then dump him. Wasn't having any of it, more power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    The offense in general and not having Bell in particular weren't the main problems this year. Main problem is the defense and ST's.
    and coaching

Lifetime

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BLITZ View Post
    and coaching
    Obviously.
    "It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a disposition to drunkenness among the common people; but that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776

No Bell isn't the reason we'll miss the playoffs.

Bell has been on the decline carrying the Ball, see his yards per carry last year. He hasn't been a move the chains by handoff, or mive the chains when the run is obviously coming guy in a long time.

Conner/Samuels have been 70% as effective as him, and will do better with more seasoning next year.

Only a dumbass franchise pays Meveon next year, I don't see the eagles or colts touching him, he'll waste away on the jets/redskins/raiders/insert other stupid team