Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keith Butler thing Eifert will be tough to cover (Hes on IR Keith)

Keith Butler thing Eifert will be tough to cover (Hes on IR Keith)

Keith Butler Says Tyler Eifert Will Be A Problem For Us To Cover (Eifert Is On Injured Reserve)

By Alex Kozora
    December 28, 2018 at 7:30 am
    Keith Butler says Tyler Eifert will be a challenge for the Pittsburgh Steelers this Sunday.

I have good news for Butler. Eifert is on injured reserve with a broken ankle. Challenge accepted.

Its another frustrating moment for the Steelers defensive coordinator, who made the comments in his sitdown with Bob Labriola on this weeks Coordinators Corner. Most of the interview was fine. Short, sweet, the generalities weve heard from the coaching staff all season. Theres improvement, we still gotta get better, nothing counts unless we win. Inoffensive, predictable, all that boring jazz.

Until the last question.

I think hes very good, Butler said on Eifert. Hes up there. He can get deep on you. He does a good job of catching the ball downfield. So hes going to be a problem for us to cover.

To be fair, Butler was asked about Eifert, he didnt bring him up on his own. Still. Cmon Keith. Know who the opponent has. Im not asking for much.

The Bengals tight end hasnt played since September 30th. Eifert suffered a brutal ankle injury that day. Heres the video if you dare to check it out but seriously, it isnt pretty. Evidently, his rehab is on the right track, hes out of his walking boot, and will hopefully be close to a full recovery by the time he hits free agency this offseason.

But no, hes not suiting up on Sunday.

Its a Freudian slip. A gaffe. I get it. Butler isnt a dummy and he gave some answers in the interview that had Sean McVay said it, ESPN would get weak in the knees. Butler pointed out one of QBs Jeff Driskel runs came on a designed power on 3rd and 4, a 100% true statement that happened last weekend. He knew that Tyler Boyds status was uncertain coming off a knee injury.

But. Gahhhhhh. This is the stuff thats frustrating. Eiferts been out for a long time, he went down before the first Steelers/Bengals matchup and even me a self-admitted idiot knew C.J. Uzomah is their starting tight end.

Its another piece from our outside view that makes it hard to have faith in Butler. Theres been good moments, there are things hes done well as a defensive coordinator, but then theresthis. Where you just shake your head and wonder what the heck is going on. A very relevant question to ask about this entire team should they miss out on the playoffs.
    Why does this guy still ha e a job?

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

After the 2016, AFCCG one of the defenders, maybe Dupree said they never saw NE run the flea flicker they used in that game, when NE ran it 5 or 6 weeks earlier vs Baltimore. I think it was Heyward that said their up tempo pace caught us off guard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Huckleberry Butler at it again.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Take the D keys off Tomlin and bring a real D Coordinator with free reigns

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Litos View Post
    Take the D keys off Tomlin and bring a real D Coordinator with free reigns

Yep, we all know the Rooney's won't get rid of Tomlin. Maybe that is the most we can hope for. New DC with total control of the defense. Doubt it happens though.... :(
    Quote Originally Posted by stillwright View Post
    Wait...are you talking about yourself or paperclip?

Super Dave: I am a(Super) contributor with an up to date subscription. I just never whined about the tag.

You should stick to talking football........

Anyone remember when Tomlin benched Rashard Mendenhall for not being up on his details?

What a joke. Laughing stock of the league.

Maybe Butler would have a point.. if it were Burns covering an injured eifert

Quote Originally Posted by Atlsteelers View Post
    Why does this guy still ha e a job?
    And we wonder why!!!!!! As the great American jurist, Judge Judy said, " Beauty is fleeting but stupid is forever."

He probably doesn't keep up with other teams because he knows he isn't in control of the defense anyway. Why spend hours watching film when the HC is going to be calling the plays anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    He probably doesn't keep up with other teams because he knows he isn't in control of the defense anyway. Why spend hours watching film when the HC is going to be calling the plays anyway?
    Self respect?

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Litos View Post
    Self respect?

I didn't say it was right.

So when was this interview done? Yesterday? They haven't watched game film on the Bengals from last week yet?

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

"Alex Kozora -

I have good news for Butler. Eifert is on injured reserve with a broken ankle."

Butler will put his best man on him nevertheless.

Just when I think it cant possibly get any worse then this crap. Where do they find these fucking mental midgets?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    So when was this interview done? Yesterday? They haven't watched game film on the Bengals from last week yet?
    The video is no longer on Steelers.com and from what I could see from the old link, it was dated December 27th. Simply stunning that a DC wouldn't know that one of the top offensive weapons from a division opponent has been out since September.

Time for a new DC. And I wouldn't stop there. I'd push for dismissing the entire defensive coaching staff, top to bottom. A fundamental re-boot is required at this stage. We need a clean, fresh start, the sooner the better, to prep for the draft, FA's et al.

In Butler's defense, it was a stupid, irrelevant question by Labriola to bring-up Eifert's name at the end of an interview discussing this week's game. Listening to the flow of the discussion, I could see how Butler let his attention slip a bit. I doubt he doesn't know Eifert's been on IR since Sept, just had a Freudian slip in responding to a truly dumb question.

But that's besides the point. Butler should be fired for what's transpired on the field all year, along with his schemes, gameplans and play-calling. It's simply time to move on and try a different approach with a new DC.
    Last edited by Tibs; 12-28-2018 at 02:28 PM.

The Following 8 Users Like This Post:

Barring a miracle this weekend, Butler can personally cover Eifert, watching the playoffs from the same couch.

SMH at this train wreck of a coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Time for a new DC. And I wouldn't stop there. I'd push for dismissing the entire defensive coaching staff, top to bottom. A fundamental re-boot is required at this stage. We need a clean, fresh start, the sooner the better, to prep for the draft, FA's et al.

In Butler's defense, it was a stupid, irrelevant question by Labriola to bring-up Eifert's name at the end of an interview discussing this week's game. Listening to the flow of the discussion, I could see how Butler let his attention slip a bit. I doubt he doesn't know Eifert's been on IR since Sept, just had a Freudian slip in responding to a truly dumb question.

But that's besides the point. Butler should be fired for what's transpired on the field all year, along with his schemes, gameplans and play-calling. It's simply time to move on and try a different approach with a new DC.
    I agree with this, but I wonder if they should give Bradley (DB coach) a little more time. I know the secondary play has been shit but they have a rookie, a mental midget (Burns) and a guy new to the defense back there.

And it's strange seeing two things Steelers trending on twitter, Boswell & Keith Butler.
    Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups - Nietzsche