Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nope. Walls donít work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Border crossings don't even account for a majority of the people joining the unauthorized population in a given year. In fiscal 2016, for instance, the Department of Homeland Security estimated 628,799 people who had previously entered the country legally overstayed their visa that year. Other groups, such as the Center for Migration Studies, have similarly estimated that visa overstays account for about two-thirds of the total number of people joining the undocumented population in any given year.

“The number attempting to get across the Southern border is probably the lowest it's been since at least the 1970s,” said Robert Warren, a demographer with the Center for Migration Studies. “I'm surprised the [Trump] administration hasn't really focused on overstays. That's where the action is.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e10889a831dc
    LOL. I'll see your non-partisan think tank, the Center for Migration Studies, and raise it one non-partisan think tank, the Center for Immigration Studies. Anyway, for some reason you all think that percentage is important to your anti-wall arguments. It's a red herring.

Christ! Really. Is this from a grown man? The Democrats. Just being a Democrat should be treason. The new definition for treason is the Democratic party. Their so bad the make Nancy Pelosi look almost normal and that's Pelosi at 80!!! Mexico would of paid and in time will pay for the wall if it wasn't for the meddling by the high treasonous way of the Demicratic party. Go get a job and get off the dwindling public hand out you probably been on for years.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Steeler Nation mobile app

It's a cleat cut division that most Anti Trump low life are o the public free ride including free food, free cash, free housing, free cell phones, free WiFi, also they got out of bed long enough to fight fpr the right to buy fast food with their food stamps and got it. Yes lets not build a wall and the tax payers can carry even more then the 48% who are on some kind of hand out. AlL FACTS ALL TRUE AND WERE ALL PAYING THEIR WAY!!

With the government shit down it's estimated that we'll save $45,000,000,000 a year every year. All Trump has to do is keep the shut down for two years to build the wall at the Democrats inflated costs prediction and maintain and man it for the next 133 years. His plan is working already either way the D party is too stupid to realise well with their noses cut off. Despite the faces.

Walls are immoral.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Steeler Nation mobile app
    You lost. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Walls are immoral.

If walls don't work why does Pelosi have one around her $20 million shack?https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=2&ajaxhist=0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roy92040; 01-10-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Well Yippy Skippy - Author Unknown

The Following User Likes This Post:

Not Pelosi's house, but the point is valid. Rich people have walls around their houses.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDavenport View Post
    Not Pelosi's house, but the point is valid. Rich people have walls around their houses.
    My bad. Damn Forbes lied

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I love how the word is diverse. They all believe the same things. They all say the same things. They all do the same things.

Diverse from white people I guess is what they mean. So diversity in looks. Not diverse in thoughts or ideas.
    Yeah, diversity in thought will not be tolerated.

Lifetime

Blog Entries
    Dems are starting to crack. Must be hearing from their constituents.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...k-on-the-wall/
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

My proposal:

Don't ask for money to build a wall.

Ask for money to build a solar farm. The solar collectors will need to be ON something. I propose that some sort ok f concrete standing supports be built under the solar collectors. Of course, you'll need some fencing to protect it from vandals.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

My proposal:

Use some of the $5.7B to build new detention facilities for those seeking asylum. Include dormitories, small apartments for families with children, medical clinics and cafeterias. Hell Iíd live there myself.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

The intrepid Jim Acosta made his way down to the border and found that there is indeed no crisis on the US side of a border wall -

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDavenport View Post
    The intrepid Jim Acosta made his way down to the border and found that there is indeed no crisis on the US side of a border wall
    And the intrepid Jim Acosta also found there is indeed no crisis on the US side of the border where there is no border wall at all, or where there are levees, chain-link fences, waist-high barriers and the like.

The point being, there is indeed no crisis on the US southern border.

Duly noted, I'll make sure I keep that in mind next time the lunatic Trump is ranting and raving about what a national emergency this is that needs immediate attention an a blank check of taxpayers money, or money diverted from actual, real disasters. .

Acosta is cool as a cucumber, completely unfazed by Trump's - and the looney alt right's - constant harrassment and attacks. Kudos to him.

Last edited by Tibs; 01-11-2019 at 06:24 AM.

No matter where you stand on Trump's wall, this is an interesting read. It helps understand the real world issues such a project would face. Trump doesn't have a magic wand that will just make a border wall appear out of nowhere. It also helps quantify the current $5bn price tag is most likely a minor down payment when given the overall scope and cost of such a project. Again, try to read this without a partisan, political slant. It'll help you come to grips with the challenges such a gigantic project entails, and perhaps provide a sobering analysis of what the realities are on the ground. It should also shed light on why so many people have wet feet cutting Trump a blank check on a massive project like this. Particularly since there are no specific plans or feasibility studies, it's just an idea in Trump's head with some hastility assembled prototypes.

This was originally posted on twitter, so I'll line-up the individual tweets for ease of reading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Amy Patrick, an engineer, Wall Expert.

I’m a licensed structural and civil engineer with a MS in structural engineering from the top program in the nation and over a decade of experience on high-performance projects...

...and particularly of cleaning up design disasters where the factors weren’t properly accounted for, and I’m an adjunct professor of structural analysis and design at UH-Downtown.

I have previously been deposed as an expert witness in matters regarding proper construction of walls and the various factors associated therein, and my testimony has passed Daubert....

Am I a wall expert? I am. I am literally a court-accepted expert on walls....

Structurally and civil engineering-wise, the border wall is not a feasible project. Trump did not hire engineers to design the thing. He solicited bids from contractors, not engineers....

This means it’s not been designed by professionals. It’s a disaster of numerous types waiting to happen. What disasters?...

Off the top of my head... 1) It will mess with our ability to drain land in flash flooding. Anything impeding the ability of water to get where it needs to go (doesn’t matter if there are holes in the wall or whatever) is going to dramatically increase the risk of flooding...

2) Messes with all kind of stuff ecologically. For all other projects, we have to do an Environmental Site Assessment, which is arduous. They’re either planning to circumvent all this,...

...or they haven’t accounted for it yet, because that’s part of the design process, and this thing hasn’t been designed.

3) The prototypes they came up with are nearly impossible to build or don’t actually do the job. This article explains more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.engineering.com/amp/17599.html … And so on....

The estimates provided for the cost are arrived at unreasonably. You can look for yourself at the two-year-old estimate that you see everyone citing. http://fronterasdesk.org/sites/default/files/field/docs/2016/07/Bernstein-%20The%20Trump%20Wall.pdf …

It does not account for rework, complexities beyond the prototype design, factors to prevent flood and environmental hazard creation, engineering redesign...

It’s going to be higher than $50bn. The contractors will hit the government with near CONSTANT change orders. “Cost overrun” will be the name of the game. It will not be completed in Trump’s lifetime....

I’m a structural forensicist, which means I’m called in when things go wrong. This is a project that WILL go wrong....

When projects go wrong, the original estimates are just *obliterated*....

And when that happens, good luck getting it fixed, because there aren’t that many forensicists out there to right the ship, particularly not that are willing to work on a border wall project—

.. a large quotient of us are immigrants, and besides, we can’t afford to bid on jobs that are this political. We’re small firms, and we’re already busy, and we don’t gamble our reputations on political footballs....

So you’d end up with a revolving door of contractors making a giant, uncoordinated muddle of things, and it’d generally be a mess. Good money after bad. The GAO agrees with me....

And it won’t be effective. I could, right now, purchase a 32 foot extension ladder and weld a cheap custom saddle for the top of the proposed wall so that I can get over it...

I don’t know who they talked to about the wall design and its efficacy, but it sure as heck wasn’t anybody with any engineering imagination.

Another thing: we are not far from the day where inexpensive drones will be able to pick up and carry someone. This will happen in the next ten years, and it’s folly to think that the coyotes who ferry people over the border won’t purchase or create them.

They’re low enough, quiet enough, and small enough to quickly zip people over any wall we could build undetected with our current monitoring setup.

Let’s have border security, by all means, but let’s be smart about it. It’s not effective. It’s NOT cheap. The returns will be diminishing as technology advances, too. This is a ridiculous idea that will never be successfully executed and, would be a monumental waste of money. <>
    Last edited by Tibs; 01-11-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Democrats and fake news are such liars, about everything. Their latest lie is that the majority of drugs come into the country through legal points of entry. That’s bullshit. What mule would rather risk getting caught at a security checkpoint than cross parts of the boarder where there is no wall and no security? And they don’t even fucking know. How could they? They have no idea, they just lie.

No matter where you stand on Trump's wall, this is an interesting read. It helps understand the real world issues such a project would face. Trump doesn't have a magic wand that will just make a border wall appear out of nowhere. It also helps quantify the current $5bn price tag is most likely a minor down payment when given the overall scope and cost of such a project. Again, try to read this without a partisan, political slant. It'll help you come to grips with the challenges such a gigantic project entails, and perhaps provide a sobering analysis of what the realities are on the ground. It should also shed light on why so many people have wet feet cutting Trump a blank check on a massive project like this. Particularly since there are no specific plans or feasibility studies, it's just an idea in Trump's head with some hastility assembled prototypes.

This was originally posted on twitter, so I'll line-up the individual tweets for ease of reading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Amy Patrick, an engineer, Wall Expert.

Iím a licensed structural and civil engineer with a MS in structural engineering from the top program in the nation and over a decade of experience on high-performance projects...

...and particularly of cleaning up design disasters where the factors werenít properly accounted for, and Iím an adjunct professor of structural analysis and design at UH-Downtown.

I have previously been deposed as an expert witness in matters regarding proper construction of walls and the various factors associated therein, and my testimony has passed Daubert....

Am I a wall expert? I am. I am literally a court-accepted expert on walls....

Structurally and civil engineering-wise, the border wall is not a feasible project. Trump did not hire engineers to design the thing. He solicited bids from contractors, not engineers....

This means itís not been designed by professionals. Itís a disaster of numerous types waiting to happen. What disasters?...

Off the top of my head... 1) It will mess with our ability to drain land in flash flooding. Anything impeding the ability of water to get where it needs to go (doesnít matter if there are holes in the wall or whatever) is going to dramatically increase the risk of flooding...

2) Messes with all kind of stuff ecologically. For all other projects, we have to do an Environmental Site Assessment, which is arduous. Theyíre either planning to circumvent all this,...

...or they havenít accounted for it yet, because thatís part of the design process, and this thing hasnít been designed.

3) The prototypes they came up with are nearly impossible to build or donít actually do the job. This article explains more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.engineering.com/amp/17599.html Ö And so on....

The estimates provided for the cost are arrived at unreasonably. You can look for yourself at the two-year-old estimate that you see everyone citing. http://fronterasdesk.org/sites/default/files/field/docs/2016/07/Bernstein-%20The%20Trump%20Wall.pdf Ö

It does not account for rework, complexities beyond the prototype design, factors to prevent flood and environmental hazard creation, engineering redesign...

Itís going to be higher than $50bn. The contractors will hit the government with near CONSTANT change orders. ďCost overrunĒ will be the name of the game. It will not be completed in Trumpís lifetime....

Iím a structural forensicist, which means Iím called in when things go wrong. This is a project that WILL go wrong....

When projects go wrong, the original estimates are just *obliterated*....

And when that happens, good luck getting it fixed, because there arenít that many forensicists out there to right the ship, particularly not that are willing to work on a border wall projectó

.. a large quotient of us are immigrants, and besides, we canít afford to bid on jobs that are this political. Weíre small firms, and weíre already busy, and we donít gamble our reputations on political footballs....

So youíd end up with a revolving door of contractors making a giant, uncoordinated muddle of things, and itíd generally be a mess. Good money after bad. The GAO agrees with me....

And it wonít be effective. I could, right now, purchase a 32 foot extension ladder and weld a cheap custom saddle for the top of the proposed wall so that I can get over it...

I donít know who they talked to about the wall design and its efficacy, but it sure as heck wasnít anybody with any engineering imagination.

Another thing: we are not far from the day where inexpensive drones will be able to pick up and carry someone. This will happen in the next ten years, and itís folly to think that the coyotes who ferry people over the border wonít purchase or create them.

Theyíre low enough, quiet enough, and small enough to quickly zip people over any wall we could build undetected with our current monitoring setup.

Letís have border security, by all means, but letís be smart about it. Itís not effective. Itís NOT cheap. The returns will be diminishing as technology advances, too. This is a ridiculous idea that will never be successfully executed and, would be a monumental waste of money. <>

All of that is now irrelevant as the new "barrier" is simply tall pointed steel spikes. Seems to allow for many of those concerns.

And the intrepid Jim Acosta also found there is indeed no crisis on the US side of the border where there is no border wall at all, or where there are levees, chain-link fences, waist-high barriers and the like.

The point being, there is indeed no crisis on the US southern border.

Duly noted, I'll make sure I keep that in mind next time the lunatic Trump is ranting and raving about what a national emergency this is that needs immediate attention an a blank check of taxpayers money, or money diverted from actual, real disasters. .

Acosta is cool as a cucumber, completely unfazed by Trump's - and the looney alt right's - constant harrassment and attacks. Kudos to him.

He found a section of fence that is quiet. So why are you not giving Trump credit for solving the crisis at the border? Surely you recall the humanitarian crisis at the border you all were bleating about a month or two ago.