Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why havenít they fired Butler yet? Oh no?

Why havenít they fired Butler yet? Oh no?

You think they would have fired the d coord first before Porter. Iím starting to think they are gonna keep Butler.

He's still under contract. FWIW, they would have to work out some details for his parting gifts.

The Following User Likes This Post:

It doesn't matter whether they fire Butler, this is Tomlin's defense. Tomlin will keep Butler around as long as possible so that he continues to get the blame instead of the person ultimately responsible.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Pride View Post
    It doesn't matter whether they fire Butler, this is Tomlin's defense. Tomlin will keep Butler around as long as possible so that he continues to get the blame instead of the person ultimately responsible.
    Hopefully....Art2 mandates the DC change and Tomlin actually allows his replacement to coordinate.
    Last edited by mightyguru; 01-04-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: misspelling

Porter wasn't "fired", he wasn't renewed.

Dale at DK did an intersting piece this morning talking about how far back this coaching staff goes. Relationship with Butler, Fitch, Dunbar, and the strength coach goes back to MT's early coaching days in college. Makes me think they will pause long and hard (er, waddle in it) before they fire any of the buddy net.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Porter wasn't "fired", he wasn't renewed.

Dale at DK did an intersting piece this morning talking about how far back this coaching staff goes. Relationship with Butler, Fitch, Dunbar, and the strength coach goes back to MT's early coaching days in college. Makes me think they will pause long and hard (er, waddle in it) before they fire any of the buddy net.
    someone posted a video a while back of Tomlin, Fitch and Butler all as coaches at Arkansas State. Only one year together there, I think.

Good JuJu

The defense was better when Tomlin put his hand print on it in the last few games of the season. Take off your Tomlin hate glasses.
    RIP CK

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

I disagree with the above post.

As one poster already said, statistically the defense was improving, particularly in the last half of the year. Again I say I will be surprised if they fire Butler. Internally, they can rationalize this season failure on a bad kicker and some bad luck (Ben hurt in Oakland, Bell). I donít agree with this, but I can see them NOT moving on from Butler this year. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan81 View Post
    The defense was better when Tomlin put his hand print on it in the last few games of the season. Take off your Tomlin hate glasses.
    Then he still deserves blame for waiting an entire season to put his hand print on it. Doesnít make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well then you can hate him for waiting until the last few games of the season. Glasses stay on.

I think this is incorrect as it's implausible that Tomlin doesn't want to point blank win as many football games as possible. He understands he needs a top-notch defense to accomplish that. I think he is at the crossroads in his professional journey, in that he realizes this current collection of coaches, mostly all 'known commodities' from years past, are simply not getting the job done. He also understands, I think, this is a cut-throat business and that his tenure will end soon if he doesn't change things up. Ultimately, he's failed as the HC to get the team to where it wants to go. Say what you want about him, Tomlin's no dummy, and when 7-8 HC's get canned within hours after the season ended, he knows what he's up against. My guess is he's gonna take a bit of time, huddle with Rooney & Colbert and chart out the path forward, as far as coaching - and possibly schematic - changes. We'll see.
    Last edited by Tibs; 01-04-2019 at 07:27 PM.

They have had a habit of letting contracts run out and not renewing. I believe this will be the exit of Tomlin over firing. Not sure what the details of a firing are. He has a contract, you pay it. He leaves. End of story. Not like players where there is a guarentee portion and a salary. Coaches contracts are guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by stewey View Post
    well then you can hate him for waiting until the last few games of the season. Glasses stay on.

lol

I think we are assuming a lot with a statement that says Tomlin all of a sudden put his hands in the pile. When the general thought was he had his hands in the D all year.

What evidence do we have that he didn't earlier on compared to later?

And the depleted Bungals in the last game wasn't a good measuring stick.

Against the top teams I never felt the team could late quarter stop anyone.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    I think we are assuming a lot with a statement that says Tomlin all of a sudden put his hands in the pile. When the general thought was he had his hands in the D all year.

What evidence do we have that he didn't earlier on compared to later?

And the depleted Bungals in the last game wasn't a good measuring stick.

Against the top teams I never felt the team could late quarter stop anyone.
    Yeah, seriously. For all we know, he let Butler do more of what he wanted and took his hands off the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether Butler is a good DC or not is pretty irrelevant at this point. Every year there are stretches where it looks like the defense has turned a corner. They come up with a big game and put up a lot of sacks. Still, when we go back and evaluate each season, the defense continues to be a major issue. The defense is littered with underachieving high draft picks. At some point you need a fresh perspective to try to improve things. The offense improved when they dumped Arians for Haley and improved again when they promoted Fichtner. There is no reason to believe the same can't be done with the defense.

Defense is overrated

5 WIDE !!!

What about the past few years? Tomlin was getting involved in Lebeaus final season.
    We played more zone than any team in the NFL Lebeaus final season, and that was put on Lebeau saying the game passed him by, then the first season without Lebeau we played more zone again, while Lebeau went to Tennessee and played more man than anyone.
    The constant usage of 2 Dlinemen, especially on short yardage and goal line situations is beyond stupid. 3rd and 20 and we play cover 4 and drop beyond the first down marker and give Brees all day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

At this point it's a pretty sure bet that Tomlin and Butler are not going to be fired. They will be allowed to finish out their contracts. Unless we have a dominating season, and go a long way in the playoffs, maybe even win the Super Bowl, then you'll likely not see their contracts renewed.