Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So let's look at the melt-down...

So let's look at the melt-down...

2017 - Harrison basically gives up on the team. Refuses to continue working his butt off like he has his entire career suddenly, out of the blue. His side - He was told if he came back one more year he would get significant playing time, but when the season started he was not only put out on the field, he was often deactivated. In response, he says "Fuck it", and essentially tunes out completely.

2018 - Leveon Bell, nearly ready to sign a long term contract that is very close to what he's been asking suddenly decides to back out. His concerns, too many carries and touches which will ultimately shorten his career without enough guaranteed protection down the line. This stalemate extends well beyond any reasonable level and ultimately, Bell decides to give up an entire season rather than come back and play a few games with the Steelers.

2019 - Antonio Brown, unhappy for any number of reasons, decides out of the blue that he's going to pull even more of his antics for the last week of the regular season. This quickly devolves into a benching for the final game and Brown refusing to talk to ANYONE, including the owner. It seems as though Brown has gotten the idea that he can force his own trade, and worse yet, it seems as though the F.O. is going to investigate that very possibility.

At what point do we take a look at that and see that the F.O. / Coaching is completely mismanaging some of the best talent on the team, much less in the league. (Admittedly, James was in the twilight of his career, but you want to talk about a guy who's contributed... that would be him.)

Both Colbert AND Tomlin look like a clown-car with just the two clowns,

The Following 9 Users Like This Post:

Cowher as GM and a new hire for HC and partial staff including new DC. FIX

Salute the nation

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Good JuJu

Aren't there 20 threads about firing Tomlin that this could've been placed in?
    RIP CK

The Following 7 Users Like This Post:

Sorry 81, feel free to merge me in. Wasn't trying to Coach there.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I think wig is making a great point and this is an underdeveloped issue, why are there so many guys acting out on this team?

Add Mitchell to the list, he was an underachieving distraction last year on PIT but is being hailed as a good leader and mentor to a young Colts defense this year...what's the common denominator?
    Last edited by Avoid_Lloyd; 01-07-2019 at 12:52 PM.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid_Lloyd View Post
    I think wig is making a great point and this is an underdeveloped issue, why are there so many guys acting out on this team?

Add Mitchell to the list, he was a distraction last year on PIT but is being hailed as a good leader and mentor to a young Colts defense this year...what's the common denominator?
    Lack of discipline from a culture allowed to fester.
    Last edited by slashsteel; 01-07-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

Add into the list whatever transpired between Troy Polamalu and the Tomlin that has led to him having nothing to do with the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    Lack of discipline festering from a culture allowed to fester.
    Bingo, and who does the buck stop with on culture and discipline? Cool shades. Who is now the object of sympathy in the media over Brown's actions instead of being held accountable for enabling the development of deva media whore Brown is today.

Quote Originally Posted by wig View Post
    2017 - Harrison basically gives up on the team. Refuses to continue working his butt off like he has his entire career suddenly, out of the blue. His side - He was told if he came back one more year he would get significant playing time, but when the season started he was not only put out on the field, he was often deactivated. In response, he says "Fuck it", and essentially tunes out completely.

2018 - Leveon Bell, nearly ready to sign a long term contract that is very close to what he's been asking suddenly decides to back out. His concerns, too many carries and touches which will ultimately shorten his career without enough guaranteed protection down the line. This stalemate extends well beyond any reasonable level and ultimately, Bell decides to give up an entire season rather than come back and play a few games with the Steelers.

2019 - Antonio Brown, unhappy for any number of reasons, decides out of the blue that he's going to pull even more of his antics for the last week of the regular season. This quickly devolves into a benching for the final game and Brown refusing to talk to ANYONE, including the owner. It seems as though Brown has gotten the idea that he can force his own trade, and worse yet, it seems as though the F.O. is going to investigate that very possibility.

At what point do we take a look at that and see that the F.O. / Coaching is completely mismanaging some of the best talent on the team, much less in the league. (Admittedly, James was in the twilight of his career, but you want to talk about a guy who's contributed... that would be him.)

EXACTLY
    Diva or not, Brown probably was upset by the fact that JuJu got team MVP days after a fumble that cost the Steelers a game they needed to stay alive. JuJu has been great but he is no AB. That would piss me off if I was Brown, going against the top DB's in the league and getting doubled yet still putting up better numbers than JuJu, I would take that as a slap in the face as well.

The Following User Likes This Post:

The hell with the Steelers, rehashing old worn out crap over and over means nothing being out of the playoffs, go on the Ravens or Bears boards if you want to see good meltdowns! LOL

These aren't my childhood STEELERS. 1968 fan

Salute the nation

Quote Originally Posted by wig View Post

Wiggy, I agree with what you said 100%. James has never,ever been a distraction prior to Tomlin flat out making promises that he didn't keep. If you had a change of heart with James then release him that summer rather than keep him on the bench or deactivate him.
    The LevBell should have never gotten to the point it did. Tomlin has made a point several times of making the statement that he's going to run the wheels off these running backs. Think about that for a second. Thats a stupid philosophy to run your start running back into the ground and risk injury, wear him out come playoff time, and shorten his career. Wouldn't the best plan be to have a capable back ala La Garrett Blount and add him to the game plan as the change of pace back and to not run your feature back into the ground? No, Tomlin hardly plays Blount causing an issue where the guys walks off the field, but he goes elsewhere, plays and excel. Tomlin is to blame here.
    AB, Tomlin creates monster, lets monster do whatever he wants with no accountability, hence we are where we are today with the game's best receiver. Tomlin again to blame.

I read a good article today from John Steigerwald calling out Tomlin and essentially telling him to walk away from the team because its time. He writes that Noll and Cowher knew when they had lost their edge and knew when it was their time to step down, and that Tomlin has lost any edge and should do the same. The media in PGH. is starting to see who the real problem is here and its the one constant with this team's issues, Tomlin.

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

Well, ifn Tomlin is the one wasting Ben's years, why is he willing to sign an extension to help the cap rather than demanding that he be traded, too? Or, demanding that Tomlin be fired?

Players like Tomlin..

If you are angling that Tomlin isn't wasting Ben's final years based on his want to return. I think that is a little short sighted. Ben isn't in a position to evaluate Tomlin nor should he try to.

He knows pain in the ass Haley is gone and he is happy with that. .He is happy with Fitch and perhaps that is really what is important to him that and retaining Pouncey.

I know the conclusion you are trying to make, but I feel in this instance you are reaching.

Tomlin made enough obvious bad decisions in his overall body of work that you should be able to understand others views even though you want him retained.

Personally I see nothing but participation trophies with him, and nobody should be shocked at this point if that is as good as it gets.

His decision making will need to improve for this team to go where we want them to go.

I blame the players, and nobody else. Namely Harrison, Bell and AB, three malcontent, me-first pricks who let their selfishness and egos drive them from the team. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I blame the players, and nobody else. Namely Harrison, Bell and AB, three malcontent, me-first pricks who let their selfishness and egos drive them from the team. End of story.
    Not weird to you that there is three of them huh. None of those players are without blame, but to leave out a environment that allows the crap to take place. Leaves you with not seeing the whole picture IMO.

Not weird to you that there is three of them huh. None of those players are without blame, but to leave out a environment that allows the crap to take place. Leaves you with not seeing the whole picture IMO.
    Yeah, what belongs in the picture are their agents, managers, hangers-on who've clearly enabled their prima donna personalities and attitudes.

Yeah what Slash says here. Sure the players need to conduct themselves like men and professionals but who is the one person in the center of all of this? Its Tomlin's team to coach, manage the players and locker room, deal with the egos of his superstars, and most importantly, most importantly, set the tone. You cannot have one set of rules for these players and another set for the rest of the team. You cannot allow some of the antics that AB has pulled on the sidelines and locker room and you must take control of the situation.Its not about bumping chests and being the players buddy, and surrounding yourself with coaches like Porter thats your buddy. A smart manager in any profession surrounds himself or herself with the best people they can find, not their buds. Its the same with a head coach.

Tibs isn't going to blame Tomlin. That's the rub. He's going to blame players, agents, managers ETC... but he won't blame the actual person in charge of the locker room.

Tomlin has allowed him to get away with shit for to long. Remember before it was ok to celebrate TDs, AB got a damn 15 yarder like every time he scored, Tomlin said he'd handle it, he never did.
    This goes back to 2012 according to Clark, AB was screaming at Lebeau and other defenders to not touch him because he's the franchise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app