Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So let's look at the melt-down...

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Tibs isn't going to blame Tomlin. That's the rub. He's going to blame players, agents, managers ETC... but he won't blame the actual person in charge of the locker room.
    No, Tomlin does deserve some blame. But not the majority of it, like many of you are dishing out.

As far as Deebo, Tomlin wanted to keep him as a stop-gap, emergency option while allowing younger players to develop. Not sure what he did wrong there. Deebo took his shitty attitude to the Pats and has been seething ever since, bad-mouthing the Steelers whenever he can.

Not sure what Tomlin did wrong concerning LeVeon, it's not Tomlin's job to get him to accept a more than fair contract the Steelers were offering. Bell went off the deep end during his holdout, Tomlin did what he could to move on without him and focus on the players he had on the roster.

With AB, now here I see where Tomlin may have babied his superstar WR until it was too late. Tomlin sat him as punishment against the Bengals, but should have stepped in earlier and try to get AB on the straight and narrow. AB let his superstardom go to his head, Tomlin failed in talking some sense into him.

But I don't see the situation as dire as most here make it out to be, as in Tomlin running too loose of a ship or letting players get away with murder, etc. He deserves some blame, but certainly not all of it.
    Last edited by Tibs; 01-07-2019 at 02:54 PM.

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wig View Post
    2017 - Harrison basically gives up on the team. Refuses to continue working his butt off like he has his entire career suddenly, out of the blue. His side - He was told if he came back one more year he would get significant playing time, but when the season started he was not only put out on the field, he was often deactivated. In response, he says "Fuck it", and essentially tunes out completely.

2018 - Leveon Bell, nearly ready to sign a long term contract that is very close to what he's been asking suddenly decides to back out. His concerns, too many carries and touches which will ultimately shorten his career without enough guaranteed protection down the line. This stalemate extends well beyond any reasonable level and ultimately, Bell decides to give up an entire season rather than come back and play a few games with the Steelers.

2019 - Antonio Brown, unhappy for any number of reasons, decides out of the blue that he's going to pull even more of his antics for the last week of the regular season. This quickly devolves into a benching for the final game and Brown refusing to talk to ANYONE, including the owner. It seems as though Brown has gotten the idea that he can force his own trade, and worse yet, it seems as though the F.O. is going to investigate that very possibility.

At what point do we take a look at that and see that the F.O. / Coaching is completely mismanaging some of the best talent on the team, much less in the league. (Admittedly, James was in the twilight of his career, but you want to talk about a guy who's contributed... that would be him.)

Both Colbert AND Tomlin look like a clown-car with just the two clowns,

Why Colbert, he offered Bell a good deal and traded Bryant?

The problem is Tomlin's lying about Harrison's playtime, and saying Brown had an injured to excuse his absence when its something else.

Other legendary steelers such as Bradshaw and Beiler have spoken out against Tomlin. So have some of the minority owners.

Does any current NFL head coach have past legendary players and his current stars against him as much as Tomlin? NO.

Coaching at the top remains a problem on the field and with player management. Ownership i( Art Rooney II ) if they won't change the head coach remains an even bigger problem.
    Last edited by Coach; 01-07-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    Out of smoke! Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 12 seasons, and most of those came early.

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    Players like Tomlin..

If you are angling that Tomlin isn't wasting Ben's final years based on his want to return. I think that is a little short sighted. Ben isn't in a position to evaluate Tomlin nor should he try to.
    Seems like he is in a significantly better position than any of us yahoos. Who else would be in a better position?

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    Seems like he is in a significantly better position than any of us yahoos. Who else would be in a better position?
    Ben's a competitor, he's going to play until he can't anymore and he's making ashit ton of money doing it.

Ben's been getting killed all week for AB being an asshole, I have no idea why. If he tried to get Tomlin fired and that got out, you'd never hear the end of it. Ben's a coach killer, Ben's a prima Dona, Ben is selfish. It would never end, especially on this board

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Esteemed Throbbing Member

so the problem is not Deebo *fuck Deebo* .. or Bell ... or Brown. But Tomlin.
    Nevermind the 49 other players on roster who do their shit in a professional manner.

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

Let’s not forget the Blount debacle also.

I believe we can add the issue of what happened with Troy Polamalu.

Each one on their own, can be seen as a freak occurrence, but with this many, it is a pattern. Sorry that lands on the HC’s desk, nowhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    so the problem is not Deebo *fuck Deebo* .. or Bell ... or Brown. But Tomlin.
    Nevermind the 49 other players on roster who do their shit in a professional manner.

It is not an all or none sum game, as much as some people want to believe it is. This problem is a COMBINATION of many factors.

this same combination that has not led Juju to smoking weed on the way to the airport, Watt from throwing a piss party or Conner from sulking? that combination?

for the record, if you fire Tomlin, then fire him. I'm ok with it. Blame Tomlin for what he's done or not done.
    but, don't lose sight of the fact that these are grown damn men being paid a king's ransom to play a child's game. Why shouldn't these fuckers ALL act with pride, dignity and professionalism? They make more in one season than I'll see in my life, but I'm held to a higher standard than they are. Unfuckingreal.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

I blame 3 people: Tomlin, AB and John Fucking Madden. Instead of an injury the curse was a collision between AB's ego and Tomlin's inept coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    Ben's a competitor, he's going to play until he can't anymore and he's making ashit ton of money doing it.

Ben's been getting killed all week for AB being an asshole, I have no idea why. If he tried to get Tomlin fired and that got out, you'd never hear the end of it. Ben's a coach killer, Ben's a prima Dona, Ben is selfish. It would never end, especially on this board

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app
    What does this have to do with anything whether he is in a position to evaluation tomlin? He was there when ALL of this was going on. I know you are butthurt that the media wants to put some blame on Ben, but that doesn't have to obstruct logic. They want news stories, you shouldn't take them personally. I'm sure Ben does not.

If he wants a ring and thinks Tomlin is the obstacle, why would he risk his health to keep it up, KNOWING Tomlin is the obstacle he won't succeed? For that matter, WTF would Ben give a shit what the media said if he wants to win another ring and knows Tomlin is holding the team back? Wouldn't he put the team above the media's opinion of him?

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MT~Forged View Post

Each one on their own, can be seen as a freak occurrence, but with this many, it is a pattern. Sorry that lands on the HC’s desk, nowhere else.
    The Blount incident, obviously backfired. However, Blount was pouting for several games because he wasn’t getting more touches. And rightfully so, he shouldn’t have been. Bell was blowing him away in YPT at over 5 YPT. So, he had enough and walked off the field before a game ended. Got released the next day. Yeah, they should have suspended him whatever was allowable from the CBA, and then sat him with pay. FO won’t make that mistake again.

Troy’s Issue is he thought he could play in 2015. Yet his body wasn’t showing it. Since his monster year in 2010, he missed 15 games leading up to 2015. While he bounced back in 2013 after missing 9 games in 2012, he still missed 4 games in 2014, including the last two regular season. Played that W/C playoff loss to the Rats he wasn’t 100%. IIRC 2015 was cap hell for the Steelers as well. Taylor retired as well and they wanted Thomas to start the transition to Troy’s roll (unsuccessfully I might add).

FO advised Troy they had to release him or he’d need to retire, his cap hit was too much. Worst part of the business for us fans....but it is a business.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

What does this have to do with anything whether he is in a position to evaluation tomlin? He was there when ALL of this was going on. I know you are butthurt that the media wants to put some blame on Ben, but that doesn't have to obstruct logic. They want news stories, you shouldn't take them personally. I'm sure Ben does not.

If he wants a ring and thinks Tomlin is the obstacle, why would he risk his health to keep it up, KNOWING Tomlin is the obstacle he won't succeed? For that matter, WTF would Ben give a shit what the media said if he wants to win another ring and knows Tomlin is holding the team back? Wouldn't he put the team above the media's opinion of him?
    not butt hurt, just find it ridiculous at the amount of false stories these ass clowns are coming up with to try to let AB off the hook.

What's that have to do with anything? He's a competitor and is going to make 25-30 million per season to play, he'd fucking play if you were the coach.

How do you know he hasn't expressed his displeasure with Tomlin?

The Following User Likes This Post:

Wouldn't the FO have made the decision on Troy?

Yes, there is a pattern and Tomlin looks like a poor communicator. We have several incidents here. You don't tell a player he's getting playing time if that's not the case. Playing time must be earned. Also, if a player misses practices, and is missing, be upfront and honest about it. Lying about an injury as the cause for the missed game only makes Tomlin look worse.

As I said before it is my opinion that Tomlin lost the respect of several players in the locker room when he asked for team unity after the national anthem vote.
    Out of smoke! Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 12 seasons, and most of those came early.

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    not butt hurt, just find it ridiculous at the amount of false stories these ass clowns are coming up with to try to let AB off the hook.

What's that have to do with anything? He's a competitor and is going to make 25-30 million per season to play, he'd fucking play if you were the coach.

How do you know he hasn't expressed his displeasure with Tomlin?
    He's made his money. Even without the $25-30m he is set for life. Sure he is a competitor. If he is play just because he is a competitor, he would want to play, but not for a coach that is holding the team back, IMO.

My expectation is that if Ben thinks that Tomlin is the problem the way so many here, do, he would have said something to the FO and Tomlin would have been gone with Haley.

The worst part of the Harrison thing, on Tomlins end anyways was that Harrison was still the better player than Dupree.

wouldnt this alleged communication between Tomlin and FuckDeebo have occurred prior to the draft? after the draft, we had WATT playing in Deebo's spot. Clearly better at that point in their respective careers. Durpee was still on the other side of the field, much like his pass rush, he's a moot point to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Yes, there is a pattern and Tomlin looks like a poor communicator. We have several incidents here. You don't tell a player he's getting playing time if that's not the case. Playing time must be earned. Also, if a player misses practices, and is missing, be upfront and honest about it. Lying about an injury as the cause for the missed game only makes Tomlin look worse.

As I said before it is my opinion that Tomlin lost the respect of several players in the locker room when he asked for team unity after the national anthem vote.
    I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the AB fiasco. It is very possible that Tomlin said it was an injury as they were going to handle it in-house instead of in the media where a bunch of jackholes can jump to conclusions with only partial data and to keep the media out of their business. Who the fuck cares what is said in a press conference?

He's made his money. Even without the $25-30m he is set for life. Sure he is a competitor. If he is play just because he is a competitor, he would want to play, but not for a coach that is holding the team back, IMO.

My expectation is that if Ben thinks that Tomlin is the problem the way so many here, do, he would have said something to the FO and Tomlin would have been gone with Haley.
    The Rooney's do not work that way. If anything one of the defenders would go complain about Tomlin, they're the ones that have sucked for awhile, the offense for the most part puts up very good numbers.