Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing Munch will be our biggest mistake to date

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    The Steelers have had great success with an OL coach who became Head Coach in the past.

Chuck Noll.

He taught the game.

Based on what we hear from our OL now, that is exactly what Munchak does.

He should be Assistant HC. That may be enough for now.
    If it gets Tomlin out, make Munch the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Born and raise in the state, and a former PSU guy. I wish he was a bit younger, but for now to Ben's retirement, he'll do.
    Out of smoke! Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 12 seasons, and most of those came early.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhurt View Post
    Munchack is by far the best coach that the Pittsburgh Steelers currently employ. He's turned an abysmal offensive line into one of the best if not the best in the NFL. The players respect him and players like Ben and Al say he's a special coach and don't want to lose him. At Tennessee he was only fired after a short stint 3 years because he refused to fire assistant coaches. Although not a winning record while there, look at the QB's he had. Jake Locker for one.

If I were Art II I would reach out to Munch, gauge his interest in staying and becoming our 4th head coach in 50 years and if so he is promoted to that position. Now what to do with the current coach Mike Tomlin? Gauge the interest with the 8 vacancies and try and trade him for the best offer possible which saves from firing the coach who has never had a losing season but has a terrible playoff record and has clearly lost this team. If no takers, then you terminate him. Its a business when it comes to the players like Troy, Ike, Harrison when it was time so now its time to fix this mess so nothing personal coach, we want to go in another direction.

Munch could instill life back into this team, along with respect,integrity and accountability which we're not getting and are the laughing stock of the league. He would most definitely have his offensive lineman and his QB as his biggest supporters and the rest would fall into place. I know this will not happen but I'm telling you this will be a huge loss, missed opportunity to fix this mess, and a huge win for Denver.
    The Steelers have a head coach - who has a MUCH better track record as a head coach than Munch. In case you werenít aware he is the 2nd winningest coach among active coaches and has the fourth best winning record in NFL history.

I fully support Munch in his efforts to pursue coaching vacancies. Thatís the typical process for filling open positions. Never heard of trading coaches. smh

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following User Likes This Post:

I like the coach with the Noll mentality.
    "I'm not a motivator, I'm a teacher."

Teammates/peers can give you a kick in the arse when you need one.
    You need people who study the game and/or have previously played to point out and correct mistakes.
    If you have bad habits/techniques, it doesn't matter if someone yells at you, coddles you, inspires you, etc.

The Lombardi and your bank account should be ALL the motivation you need.
    If it's not, you're in the wrong line of business.

His soul is full of hate.

Blog Entries
    Munch will be HC at another team next year. That is a forgone conclusion, and we will be stuck with mediocrity under Mikey Sunglasses.
    Every story needs a villain. I'm okay playing that role.

Does Dermontti Dawson have any interest in coaching when Munch leaves?

John Elway is choosing between Vic Fangio and Mike Munchak

As the head-coaching dominoes begin to fall, the Denver domino apparently will land in one of two directions.

Mike Klis of 9News.com reports that Broncos G.M. John Elway “appears to be deciding between” Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-mike-munchak/

Munchack is by far the best coach that the Pittsburgh Steelers currently employ. He's turned an abysmal offensive line into one of the best if not the best in the NFL. The players respect him and players like Ben and Al say he's a special coach and don't want to lose him. At Tennessee he was only fired after a short stint 3 years because he refused to fire assistant coaches. Although not a winning record while there, look at the QB's he had. Jake Locker for one.

If I were Art II I would reach out to Munch, gauge his interest in staying and becoming our 4th head coach in 50 years and if so he is promoted to that position. Now what to do with the current coach Mike Tomlin? Gauge the interest with the 8 vacancies and try and trade him for the best offer possible which saves from firing the coach who has never had a losing season but has a terrible playoff record and has clearly lost this team. If no takers, then you terminate him. Its a business when it comes to the players like Troy, Ike, Harrison when it was time so now its time to fix this mess so nothing personal coach, we want to go in another direction.

Munch could instill life back into this team, along with respect,integrity and accountability which we're not getting and are the laughing stock of the league. He would most definitely have his offensive lineman and his QB as his biggest supporters and the rest would fall into place. I know this will not happen but I'm telling you this will be a huge loss, missed opportunity to fix this mess, and a huge win for Denver.
    he DRAFTED Jake locker. His other two drafts were players that didn't pan out either....

Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    he DRAFTED Jake locker. His other two drafts were players that didn't pan out either....
    Chuck Noll drafted Mark Nalone and Bubby Brister

Steeler Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Art is ignoring the writing on the wall. Fans and media are calling for Tomlin’s head and his assistant is one of the hottest head coaching candidates.
    No he isn't. One team wants him. Thats it.
    RIP CK

Vic Fangio would look great in Blue and Orange.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Losing Munch will be our biggest mistake to date

Quote Originally Posted by Cras108er View Post
    The Steelers have a head coach - who has a MUCH better track record as a head coach than Munch. In case you weren’t aware he is the 2nd winningest coach among active coaches and has the fourth best winning record in NFL history.

I fully support Munch in his efforts to pursue coaching vacancies. That’s the typical process for filling open positions. Never heard of trading coaches. smh

I’m very well aware of his won loss record. I’m also very well aware of his post season record and his poor clock management, poor challenge record, inability to control his locker room, etc.This guy is not the right coach for this team and needs to move on. He has become much to complacent in his job which is a bad situation for this team.
    Yes, coaches can be traded. Jon Gruden was involved in a trade several years ago and if you follow the NFL there are teams interested in trading for John Harbaugh if Baltimore wants to let him go.

Tomlin has been a joke and has caused the issues we are currently sitting in.

And on a side note Munch only coached three seasons in Tennessee with future HOF QB Jake Locker as one of his starters. He was only dismissed after not firing some of his coaches as directed to him. He was good enough to come in here to Heinz with a scrub at QB and kick the shit out of Tomlin.

Last edited by steelhurt; 01-08-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Art is ignoring the writing on the wall. Fans and media are calling for Tomlinís head and his assistant is one of the hottest head coaching candidates.
    Fans and the media do not make personnel decisions for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Cras108er View Post
    Fans and the media do not make personnel decisions for the team.

well, we should. We would have a new HC every season and a new QB every 6 games and new position coaches every other game.

No one gets draft picks right on every time. Iím sure he had help making that draft. Tomlin and Colbert drafted Uncle Jarvis, Bud the Stud, Artie Burns,all first round picks. It happens! Locker was highly touted coming into the draft and they needed a QB. So was Blake Bortles, Ryan Mallet, and a countess list of others. They donít all pan out.

Chuck Noll drafted Mark Nalone and Bubby Brister
    I don't know how that is relevant. My point was that he wasn't stuck with Locker as a player already on the team, he picked him. However, I don't think you can compare pick 28 and 67 from another era to pick 8, either.

Munch had 3 drafts. The first round picks for all three were not "good". That is all the data we have. We have more on Chuck to know that those are less indicative. Two of his 3 picks were top 10. You should do better with those, IMO.

He, I assume, had later picks that had better careers.

No one gets draft picks right on every time. I’m sure he had help making that draft. Tomlin and Colbert drafted Uncle Jarvis, Bud the Stud, Artie Burns,all first round picks. It happens! Locker was highly touted coming into the draft and they needed a QB. So was Blake Bortles, Ryan Mallet, and a countess list of others. They don’t all pan out.

He was 0-3 on first round picks. picking top 10, twice.

Seems easy to make an excuse for other coaches, eh?

He was 0-3 on first round picks. picking top 10, twice.

Seems easy to make an excuse for other coaches, eh?
    No one is making excuses for the draft picks that weren't successful in Tennessee. Just like Tomlin's draft failures, its not just on him, its also attributed to the scouts and the GM Colbert. As I said, drafting is a crap shoot for all 32 teams and that includes the Patriots. Munch would be a better fit here fr the Steelers than Tomlin.

No one is making excuses for the draft picks that weren't successful in Tennessee. Just like Tomlin's draft failures, its not just on him, its also attributed to the scouts and the GM Colbert. As I said, drafting is a crap shoot for all 32 teams and that includes the Patriots. Munch would be a better fit here fr the Steelers than Tomlin.
    Seems like excuses are getting made, to me.

Seems like excuses are getting made, to me.
    Thatís cool! Youíre certainly entitled to your viewpoints like all of us. Itís all good!

I'm thinking they will go with the "D" guru versus Munch.....

Neither is young or the new breed, so I think 'D" wins here & Elway will input with the offense....

Come on guys I am right, & this is the story we are rolling with to bring this into reality......Our O-Line rocks
    Gimme the damn ball