Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Losing Munch will be our biggest mistake to date

Quote Originally Posted by Cras108er View Post
    He had one of the best defenses in the league, at a time when defenses actually won championships. Tomlin has not had that benefit. We can do this all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Exactly, a defense that he built. Tomlin had that kind of defense in 2008, one that he didn't build. That's part of the point, he's been here 12 seasons and has yet to rebuild this defense.
    Every team that won wild card weekend played very good defense, even the teams that lost played good defense

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    Exactly, a defense that he built. Tomlin had that kind of defense in 2008, one that he didn't build. That's part of the point, he's been here 12 seasons and has yet to rebuild this defense.
    Every team that won wild card weekend played very good defense, even the teams that lost played good defense

Why Art Rooney II can't see this is the question. PS was the Special teams coach fired yet?
    Out of smoke! Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 12 seasons, and most of those came early.

Tomlin, not Butler, has been building this D for 4 years since LeBeau left in January 2015 and it has not gotten better. I know we lost Shazier but that isn't the reason. If the Rooney's can't recognize that, then maybe they are the problem. And, if they have recognized it and are afraid to do something about it because of the Rooney rule or some other BS, then they are definitely the problem. Every one of us knows Tomlin is the problem with our D.

Through his first twelve seasons he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Clarification and facts are your friend, otherwise you're just a political soundbite. The release of a LB and RB coach are not going to turn this team around. The loss of Munch would be staggering to this team.

At a minimum Butler and most of the position coaches on the defensive side need replaced, as well as ST's. Tomlin should be given a mandate to stay away from the DC and let him do his job. A time management and replay position should be filled and MT should let them do their job.

Then the coach can continue to be the cheerleader everyone seems to love. And if he can't do this, he needs to be gone, never a losing season or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post

Tomlin has particularly failed with the secondary.

Colbert deserves some blame as well, but the Steelers drafted the likes of Polamalu, Taylor, and Chris Hope and signed Ryan Clark when he was working with Cowher.

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney View Post

Colbert deserves some blame as well, but the Steelers drafted the likes of Polamalu, Taylor, and Chris Hope and signed Ryan Clark when he was working with Cowher.
    Interesting concept. Has Colbert changed as the coaches have changed ? Do the coaches significantly change his outlook on perspective talent ?

I'm sure he has and it does.

Because so many of the Tomlin/Colbert picks already have washed out, comparisons between the Tomlin/Cowher drafts likely will be more one-sided favoring Cowher as Tomlin's career progresses, unless the drafting suddenly gets better.
    https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...n-cowher-draft
    I guess that issue has been settled.
    Last edited by SteelChip; 01-09-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Proud to be everything a Liberal hates.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Trade Tomlin to the Jets for a player and pick, promote Munch, then trade AB to the Cardinals for Patrick Peterson and their 2nd pick. Craft it up, Colbert. Get this team back on track!

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney View Post

Not a Colbert pick, but Deshea was a nice find, and McFadden contributed in that 2005 run.

I don't think Colbert is the problem. I think he tries to find what the coach is looking for in a player. It doesn't make sense that he drafted great with Cowher on defense and now can't find DB to save his life.

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I don't think Colbert is the problem. I think he tries to find what the coach is looking for in a player. It doesn't make sense that he drafted great with Cowher on defense and now can't find DB to save his life.
    Well, we remember Polamalu and Taylor easily. and Hope/McFadden. But there were also Hank Poteat, Ricardo Coulclough, Anthony Smith and Lamar Glover. Except for Glover, those were 2nd and 3rd round picks. Not saying it hasn't gotten worse, just that, maybe, Colbert wasn't that good at it to start with.

Replace Colbert with Bill Cowher as GM and let Cowher shop and find the several replacements needed, that includes TOMLIN with a possible slide up for Muncheck.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

Broncos have hired Vic Fangio

Munch staying now?? Let’s hope so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I agree. It was almost an instantaneous shift in the type of players the Steelers drafted when Tomlin took over. That's a good thing on Colbert's part, but now the problem is the GM/Coach/Scout dynamic is clueless on how to draft defense.

The Following User Likes This Post:

US Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    Just curious.....what was Cowher’s playoff record minus the SB XL run?
    8-9. Why?

What's Tomlin's playoff record minus the SB XLIII run?

5-7. Still worse.

We are but a moment's sunlight
    Fading in the grass

-- Chet Powers

US Veteran

Through his first twelve seasons he does.
    I don't even know if that's true or not, because your first statement was bullshit, and even if it is...so what?

Nobody cares who wins the President's Trophy in the NHL for the best regular season record, and nobody but you Tomlin nuthuggers gives a shit about his wonderful regular season record through 12 years.

Fading in the grass

-- Chet Powers

Quote Originally Posted by topseed View Post
    I don't even know if that's true or not, because your first statement was bullshit, and even if it is...so what?

Nobody cares who wins the President's Trophy in the NHL for the best regular season record, and nobody but you Tomlin nuthuggers gives a shit about his wonderful regular season record through 12 years.
    I don't know what he's talking about. He can't be talking about total wins because Tomlin is tied for 29th in that category. Can't be winning percentage either because he is 15th in that. I guess you could dream up a category like during his 12 years he is the 2nd winning-est coach with 12 years experience??? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by topseed View Post
    8-9. Why?

What's Tomlin's playoff record minus the SB XLIII run?

5-7. Still worse.
    Just that, still losing records for both. Plus Chin had three more years to win 3 and lose 2 more games.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

Just that, still losing records for both. Plus Chin had three more years to win 3 and lose 2 more games.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    He also did it with Kordell "wormburner" Stewart and not a HOF QB. BTW do you think Tomlin is going to win 3 more playoff games and lose 2 more in the next 3 years?

US Veteran

So, you're proud of Mike Tomlin's 5-7 playoff record in non-SB seasons because....Cowher happened to be 8-9 in his?

Let's see, since we're arbitrarily picking out playoff records, how about we look at their most recent work?

Cowher was 6-3 in his last 9 playoff games. Tomlin is 3-6 in his last 9.

Hmmmm.

Fading in the grass

-- Chet Powers