Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So They Had That Going For Them, Which Was Nice

So They Had That Going For Them, Which Was Nice

Steelers O-Line Finishes 1st In PFF’s 2018 Rankings

By Matthew Marczi
    January 8, 2019

This may not come to you as a surprise, but the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offensive line is being highly regarded this season. After all, they have sent three starting offensive linemen to the Pro Bowl for the second year in a row. That is why offensive line coach Mike Munchak is a hot commodity right now in the head coaching circuit, and may soon land in Denver.

While Ramon Foster continues to be overlooked, his three starting teammates that remained healthy for the majority of the season have all wound up in the Pro Bowl. Leading the pack would be center Maurkice Pouncey, and joining him are right guard David DeCastro and left tackle Alejandro Villanueva.

For Pouncey, it was his seventh Pro Bowl nod in nine seasons, the only exceptions being the years in which he was injured. He was also named an All-Pro for the fifth time, albeit on the second team, the first time since 2014 he made that list.

DeCastro just completed his seventh season in the NFL and has been named to the Pro Bowl for the fourth consecutive year in what is looking like another annual tradition. Surprisingly, he was passed up for the All-Pro list this year in favor of, among others, Joel Bitonio and rookie Quenton Nelson.

Then there is Alejandro Villanueva, who had the best season of his career at age 30. In his fourth season, he earned his second Pro Bowl nod in as many years. A late bloomer and latecomer to the tackle position, he even received an All-Pro vote, though did not make the team.

Even Pro Football Focus has recognized the Steelers’ group as the top in the league, putting them in the number one spot in their year-end rankings list of all 32 offensive lines around the league. If memory serves, I believe they placed around the top five last season.

“The blame game has run rampant around Pittsburgh after a disappointing season ended”, the article reads. “Don’t point fingers anywhere near the offensive line though, as they were dominant down the stretch this season. Their lowest-ranked starter was still only the 61st ranked offensive lineman. That type of cohesion was unmatched around the NFL”.

Given that there are 32 teams, and five starting linemen on each of them, it’s quite impressive that the Steelers’ worst-ranked lineman would only be low as 61st among all positions, meaning that their worst starter is regarded as better than the majority of most team’s starters.

The line could be in for a shakeup this offseason, however, with Foster scheduled to be a free agent, Marcus Gilbert’s status in question due to injuries, and Munchak quite possibly leaving for a head coaching position. Do they have the talent and expertise to continue this high level of play?
    Ugh, what a heartbreaking shitstorm of a season it was, especially for these guys. They held the likes of Von Miller & Bradley Chubb, then Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram in check. Like the article alludes to, with the possible shake-up ahead, can they continue to dominate? With Ben publicly campaigning for Munchak to stay, you know that's one damn good (and beloved) coach.
    Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups - Nietzsche

The Following User Likes This Post:

Hard to believe PFF can recognize an OL that employs Maurkice Pouncey at the top of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
    Hard to believe PFF can recognize an OL that employs Maurkice Pouncey at the top of the league.
    Ha, excellent point.

I knew our OL was VERY good and I'm sure our QB does as well. LeMEon Bell will realize it as well as soon as he runs behind another one other than ours.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

So a top 5 QB who just threw for 5k yards, the best WR in the game with the best Oline in the game and we missed the effing playoffs...

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

...and we will probably let the OL coach walk.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Sucks to lose Munch possible

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj1225 View Post
    So a top 5 QB who just threw for 5k yards, the best WR in the game with the best Oline in the game and we missed the effing playoffs...

It gets better, read on down..............

AND retain our HC on top of all this...................

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I mean it's not letting him walk if he gets hired as a head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
    Coach’s head going to explode. PFF disagreeing with his view of Pouncey, which is based on PFF’s own rating.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    Coach’s head going to explode. PFF disagreeing with his view of Pouncey, which is based on PFF’s own rating.

PFF has rated Pouncey poorly in the past. I know Coach is fun to pile on, but Pouncey has been supremely overrated since before he was drafted and despite the accolades, is not in the same class as Webster, Dawson, and maybe even Hartings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack_of_Steel View Post
    PFF has rated Pouncey poorly in the past. I know Coach is fun to pile on, but Pouncey has been supremely overrated since before he was drafted and despite the accolades, is not in the same class as Webster, Dawson, and maybe even Hartings.
    Please explain to me in detail how Pouncey is overrated. Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post

PFF is correct. We have a top OL. You must hate agreeing with them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Out of smoke! Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 12 seasons, and most of those came early.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth View Post
    Please explain to me in detail how Pouncey is overrated. Thanks.
    Pouncey overrated that is hilarious. I won't even go back n forth in that ridiculous debate. SMH
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Does suck but what does it matter if you can put up 40 points a game if you give up 41.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack_of_Steel View Post

I felt he was overpaid, and overrated by those who think he's a top 3 NFL center. This year he had 5 penalties ( Lead the team ) and gave up 2.5 sacks. He's very good on the move, just so so as a drive blocker and anchor. Agreed not in Webster, Dawson or Hartings class. I do not want to give him a 3rd contract that pays on average 12-13 million a season. 2-4 season from now, the Steelers will need to replace him. Fans can read more below:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/20...ack-breakdown/
    Out of smoke! Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 12 seasons, and most of those came early.

Perfect example of you interpreting the article or stats for your own pleasure. The article referenced only the Steelers line, not the league. The article also noted Pouncey has given up less sacks and penalties in a three year period than any other lineman on the team. 5 penalties on how many snaps? Around 720+ snaps. 2.5 sacks for the year....his highest in 3 years, yet averaged one every 287 snaps. He was voted All-Pro (2nd team) for a reason. Idiot.

It’s a travesty that DeCastro wasn’t All-Pro this year.

P-38L fan

Ben sure doesn't think Pouncey is overrated and I think he would know ore than any of us.

Top 5 of what, exactly?

It evens out with our FAKE PUNT coaching