Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok trying to go over this cap crap if AB were traded.

Ok trying to go over this cap crap if AB were traded.

Sorry to bring it up again, but have heard so many different answers.

Looking over it. If AB is traded, his final 3 years of pro-rated signing bonus is accelerated to this year, that's 7 million per coming to a total of 22 million hit this season.
    His salary will no longer counts towards the cap this year or any other year since they aren't guaranteed, part of that salary is a 4 million bonus due March 18th.

So 22 million hit from the bonuses, but his 12 million+4 million bonus would also come off the cap, so 22-16 is only a 6 million cap hit if traded.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

He is due a 2.5 million bonus in March

Most INtelligent Poster

to me that is still a 22 million hit....either you have AB on the roster with his salary and bonus or you waste 22 million in space by trading him

The Following User Likes This Post:

His projected cap hit this year would have been: 7mil Signing Bonus (21mil amortized for 3 more years) + 12.6mil salary + 2.5mil Roster Bonus = 22.1mil
    If he is traded, we don't pay the bonus or salary, but the entire Signing Bonus of 21mil comes due.
    We save 1mil off the cap.

We save his salary and bonus but it's offset by the fact that all that SB comes due in one year (2019).

Next year we would be helped out with him not earning his salaries moving foward.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolieMan View Post
    to me that is still a 22 million hit....either you have AB on the roster with his salary and bonus or you waste 22 million in space by trading him
    I agree with you. I just don't see any way Tomlin can keep this team together if he lets AB back into the clubhouse. No one will respect him.
    You are basically saying AB can crap all over the team and do as he pleases.
    AB has to get gone.

Tomlin will face many challenges in 2019. AB is just one of them.

If he is a Steeler in 2019, he will know he's working towards a new contract with a new team for 2020. So he won't risk his health playing for the Steelers.

LBell all over again. I'm not saying he will hold out, but he certainly won't put forth an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by paperclip View Post
    If he is a Steeler in 2019, he will know he's working towards a new contract with a new team for 2020. So he won't risk his health playing for the Steelers.

LBell all over again. I'm not saying he will hold out, but he certainly won't put forth an effort.
    I'm pretty sure he has 3 years left on his deal...so not sure what you mean

can salary cap $$ be part of a trade? as in trade him to the jets for their no 1 and 10$ million?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolieMan View Post
    If we were tight on cap space I might agree, but we have plenty of cap space this year anyway even with the hit and in reality the 22 million is just old money that was already paid to him. It's just for accounting purposes that it would show up against this year's cap. Even if you have to restructure a contract or two this year you'll more than make up for it when AB's salary is completely removed from the cap next year. I think a high draft pick received in a trade would more than compensate for what really only amounts to a one year cap hit. And suppose you keep him and he keeps up his antics and causes problems in the locker room, would you really want to pay 22 million for that?

Quote Originally Posted by kev4heels View Post
    I agree with you. I just don't see any way Tomlin can keep this team together if he lets AB back into the clubhouse. No one will respect him.
    You are basically saying AB can crap all over the team and do as he pleases.
    AB has to get gone.
    I have a feeling they won’t trade AB. That with time this will cool down and the Steelers will continue to value “stability”.

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I have a feeling they won’t trade AB. That with time this will cool down and the Steelers will continue to value “stability”.
    even though they as a franchise are anything but stable right now

MTC

Quote Originally Posted by paperclip View Post

Belongs to the Steelers through the 2021 season if they choose to keep him.Were you thinking maybe he pushes for a trade after the 2019 season?

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZ View Post
    can salary cap $$ be part of a trade?
    I don't believe that is allowed under NFL rules.

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZ View Post
    can salary cap $$ be part of a trade? as in trade him to the jets for their no 1 and 10$ million?
    This is an accounting issue not really a money issue. They've already paid him the signing bonus. It's the cap that is the issue. If he is traded all the signing bonus is taken away from this year's cap space. It would be $21 million against the cap. They actually save real money by releasing him in March. The $21 million has already been paid but it goes against the cap.

NGA

Not
    Going
    Anywhere
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I think so too

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    NGA

Not
    Going
    Anywhere
    Peter King seems to agree.

Peter King: ‘I’ve Heard That Antonio Brown Does Not Want To Be Traded’
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology that’s never even been invented yet.” - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Most INtelligent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers1356 View Post
    If we were tight on cap space I might agree, but we have plenty of cap space this year anyway even with the hit and in reality the 22 million is just old money that was already paid to him. It's just for accounting purposes that it would show up against this year's cap. Even if you have to restructure a contract or two this year you'll more than make up for it when AB's salary is completely removed from the cap next year. I think a high draft pick received in a trade would more than compensate for what really only amounts to a one year cap hit. And suppose you keep him and he keeps up his antics and causes problems in the locker room, would you really want to pay 22 million for that?
    it doesn't matter if the Steelers have a lot of cap space, having 22 million of dead money is still wasting money that could go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kev4heels View Post
    His projected cap hit this year would have been: 7mil Signing Bonus (21mil amortized for 3 more years) + 12.6mil salary + 2.5mil Roster Bonus = 22.1mil
    If he is traded, we don't pay the bonus or salary, but the entire Signing Bonus of 21mil comes due.
    We save 1mil off the cap.

We save his salary and bonus but it's offset by the fact that all that SB comes due in one year (2019).

Next year we would be helped out with him not earning his salaries moving foward.

OR Signing bonus can spread out over two years if trade happens after March 13th (start of new league year) OR if AB will pay back most or a portion of signing bonus thus allowing him more freedom on trade / possible FA.

Salute the nation
    Last edited by Drink IRON City; 01-09-2019 at 08:16 PM.