Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok trying to go over this cap crap if AB were traded.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolieMan View Post
    it doesn't matter if the Steelers have a lot of cap space, having 22 million of dead money is still wasting money that could go elsewhere.
    I will say that would be the stupidest decision in franchise history by far if it came to pass. Take away talent and the ability to bring in free agents.

That is almost as dumb as thinking Ed Oliver will be drafted outside of the top ten.

She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

to me that is still a 22 million hit....either you have AB on the roster with his salary and bonus or you waste 22 million in space by trading him
    Exactly, it’s not a savings. We would have no player, but spending 21 million. There’s no way to make this favorable unless we are lucky enough to get a high quality player fairly cheap. Regardless, we are staring at who knows who at a net cost of more than 21 mil, essentially.

Heard Von Miller might be on the trade block. What about an even trade w Denver??

Quote Originally Posted by 6Lombardis View Post
    Exactly, it’s not a savings. We would have no player, but spending 21 million. There’s no way to make this favorable unless we are lucky enough to get a high quality player fairly cheap. Regardless, we are staring at who knows who at a net cost of more than 21 mil, essentially.

Heard Von Miller might be on the trade block. What about an even trade w Denver??

It's a good idea for Miller but I'd need their 2nd or 3rd to go with it. I'd want Peterson & 3rd and then play for FA Larry Fitzgerald.

Salute the nation

Ok trying to go over this cap crap if AB were traded.

The thing is with all of these trade requests with players involved, it just isnít sound. First, you have the $21 mil that goes to the cap if AB is traded. Plus if you bring in another player from the trade, say PP2 or Miller, their salary is ALSO added to the cap. So itís 21 + X amount added to the cap. You are spending money on the cap for 2 players, but only have 1 on the roster. Thatís not good business.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

The Following User Likes This Post:

I'm with the "he's not going anywhere" camp. I think this will blow over and back to business as usual. I hope so anyway. I think he is just too valuable to get rid of with our window so short.
    But who knows, I was dead wrong about Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    The thing is with all of these trade requests with players involved, it just isn’t sound. First, you have the $21 mil that goes to the cap if AB is traded. Plus if you bring in another player from the trade, say PP2 or Miller, their salary is ALSO added to the cap. So it’s 21 + X amount added to the cap. You are spending money on the cap for 2 players, but only have 1 on the roster. That’s not good business.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ike, I hear wehat you're saying but you must allow us to dream a little........ You know, like the dreaming of a super bowl with the current coach in tact......

If I Remeber right they can spread that cap hit out over two years if the "trade' Happens after March 13 and before March 18th to save the roster bonus. It's a small window if I understand it correctly. They might also be able to entice AB to pay some of the signing bonus back (takes directly off cap hit) by giving him some say in trade and time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by 6Lombardis View Post
    Exactly, itís not a savings. We would have no player, but spending 21 million. Thereís no way to make this favorable unless we are lucky enough to get a high quality player fairly cheap. Regardless, we are staring at who knows who at a net cost of more than 21 mil, essentially.

They aren't spending $22 million. It's already been spent. The signing bonus just gets put on the cap this year. Again this isn't about the Steelers spending money, it's about how already spent money is accounted for against the cap.

Most INtelligent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    They aren't spending $22 million. It's already been spent. The signing bonus just gets put on the cap this year. Again this isn't about the Steelers spending money, it's about how already spent money is accounted for against the cap.
    I'm pretty sure he knows it is not cash going out from the Steelers. Technically though it is cap space being "spent" on nothing if AB is traded..you are burning 21 million in cap space for nothing in return

I'm pretty sure he knows it is not cash going out from the Steelers. Technically though it is cap space being "spent" on nothing if AB is traded..you are burning 21 million in cap space for nothing in return
    Maybe just the way he worded it sounded like he was worried about them spending the money. The issue to me is; is the team better or worse with him on it. If traded in March the team saves a little "real" money and loses $21 million in cap space. The cap space doesn't worry me because you don't have to pay AB's contract for the year and a draft pick will make a lot less and be included in the rookie cap.

Dramaville...

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

If the Steelers get offered something like a high first round pick or perhaps two later first round picks like Oakland has I don't think the cap hit would be an issue to them. The compensation would make up for it.
    Last edited by Steelers1356; 01-10-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Most INtelligent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    as if anyone here can read

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Most INtelligent Poster

He is not going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Drink IRON City View Post
    Ike, I hear wehat you're saying but you must allow us to dream a little........ You know, like the dreaming of a super bowl with the current coach in tact......

If I Remeber right they can spread that cap hit out over two years if the "trade' Happens after March 13 and before March 18th to save the roster bonus. It's a small window if I understand it correctly. They might also be able to entice AB to pay some of the signing bonus back (takes directly off cap hit) by giving him some say in trade and time frame.
    The only way the cap charge is spread is if the trade is made after June 1st, or he is designated a June 1st cut. AB isnít paying back any $$$. You can guarantee that. The NFPA would be all over him on that.

Drink if we could dream...I can think of a lot of changes, and not just Steeler improvements. Goodell replaced. Riveron...gone....Spygate 2.0 confirmed, Deflate gate someone breaks a NDA. Marcia tests positive for estrogen based steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    The only way the cap charge is spread is if the trade is made after June 1st, or he is designated a June 1st cut. AB isn’t paying back any $$$. You can guarantee that. The NFPA would be all over him on that.

Drink if we could dream...I can think of a lot of changes, and not just Steeler improvements. Goodell replaced. Riveron...gone....Spygate 2.0 confirmed, Deflate gate someone breaks a NDA. Marcia tests positive for estrogen based steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Thanbks Ike as I wasn't sure on the spread out 2years cap hit but that makes total sense now. Dream the DREAM !!!!!! Love it

Salute the nation

I think Cope nailed it with the 21 mil, really not seeing the Steelers eating that if they can help it. And they can help it.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

With the money they get from bell not playing 15 mil? And Ben redoing his deal 5-7 mil it’s pretty much a wash.

Logical teams wouldn't eat that kind of cap money, but I'm not sure this team is very logical when it comes to the cap.

I think they see a black/white situation and Brown is already out the door, no matter what. In fact, their stubborness on this point (and the fact the owner has pretty much come out and said it) already puts them in a poor negotiating position asking for draft picks. This is Santonio Holmes all over again. Ownership has already made the decision and just basically told Tombert "get him out". We'll end up getting pennies on the dollar, lose the potential to have a season with decent cap space entering a season (as if we'd use it outside the building) and probably use a high draft choice "replacing" Antonio Brown's spot on the roster (thus netting nothing in the scheme of things).

I've seen all this before on the team when someone rocks the boat. They don't EVER turn it into much value. And recently they've waiting 1 year too late to realize there's a problem rather than 1 year too early when the player has enormous value (what would Brown have been worth before LAST YEAR'S draft???!!!).

This type of shortsightedness, this type of waiting one year too late when making personnel decisions has been killing them. Arguably the drafting has been okay. I don't like some of the first rounders but they have done well finding starters in the 2nd-4th rounds (despite my surprise). But when ego and selfishness blow holes in your ability to IMPROVE your overall talent level (because you are always getting rid of the bad apples and have to find new apples to replace them), then even good drafting goes to waste; and wasted draft picks hurt even more.

And in my opinion we need VASTLY superior talent because we are not coached up to do it with average talent because in order for average talent to compete you have to be extremely disciplined and that is just not what we teach around here. We want splash plays from special talent and if we don't get it, we lose. Tomlin has almost said as much in his press conferences.

Dramaville...

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    I've seen all this before on the team when someone rocks the boat. They don't EVER turn it into much value. And recently they've waiting 1 year too late to realize there's a problem rather than 1 year too early when the player has enormous value (what would Brown have been worth before LAST YEAR'S draft???!!!).
    Funny enough, last year, before the restructure, he only would have counted $15.2M in dead money to move...