Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We hired Teryl Austin to help Butler and Bradley..

We hired Teryl Austin to help Butler and Bradley..

Unbelieveable. Wtf is our Dback coach for?

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I don't know anything about Teryl Austin. I do like that his defense was ranked 2nd with Detroit a few years ago. Wonder how much latitude he will have and will Cool Shades keep his hands off?

The Following User Likes This Post:

This was taken from an ESPN article after he was fired.

Austin, 53, was in his first season with the team, and the unit looked shockingly bad at times. Not only did it fall to last in almost every defensive category, but it is also approaching historically bad levels. The team is on pace to break the 2012 Saints' record for most yards allowed in a season and is also the first team in the Super Bowl era to give up at least 500 yards in three straight games.

Nice to see we're now picking coaches rejected by both of those historically great, winning franchises like Detroit and Cincinnati. That's the EXACT pedigree we need in the building.

Applies to Tomlin too, but I will be realistic. The only thing Butler should need help with is filling out a Resume.

At least we can go into next year with low expectations and be blown away if they are actually good than the reverse.

I don't care what the Steelers do. All the magic is gone for me. They will have to earn it back. I really don't give a shit. I will watch until they piss me off. I have went to Sanford & Son recordings more than a few times this year when we were playing..

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Hire another D coach that does nothing. Tomlin still runs the D and will until Rooney tells him to stop.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Atlsteelers View Post
    At least we can go into next year with low expectations and be blown away if they are actually good than the reverse.
    I've had low expectations the last 5 seasons and I haven't been blown away yet.

Blog Entries
    Butler sucks. That's just a nice way to put it

Austin was a hot name not so long ago in the coaching ranks, but that has obviously settled. Will be interested in his role and how much input he'll actually get. Here's a pretty good read on him as far as why things went wrong in Cincy: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/201...steelers-game/

Austin was a hot name in 2016 and 2017 before the bungholes got ahold of him.

I knew once a few heard that he was the DC for that shitty Bengals D there would be some comments. Rightfully so I thought wow what a dumb fucking move.

Then I dug and looked closer he was at his best as a secondary coach, which is the area he will be focusing on.

On January 26, 2011, it was announced that Austin had been hired as the secondary coach for the Baltimore Ravens, and helped lead them to a Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers.[3]

A good move as long as he is just focusing on helping Bradley.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

Quote Originally Posted by Atlsteelers View Post
    This was taken from an ESPN article after he was fired.
    That doesn't sound very positive!

I just hope he can evaluate draft picks. We need a lot of help there.
    Well Yippy Skippy - Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    The people in Detroit were devestated to lose him, and wanted him to get elevated as the head man over Caldwell. They viewed him in the same sense we view munch. He played a pretty big role in the development of Darrius Slay, and some of the lesser-known secondary pieces the Lions have. Not that anyone will necessarily confuse a Detroit sports fan for a smart fan, but the Lions haven’t sucked because of their defense the last few years; their qb is horribly overrated, and has cost them in a lot of games.

Nothing against the hire but I see it as another way to "mask" the true problem. I hope he can develope our DBs into a TAMPA 2 nightmare for other teams,......He will have just one VERY hard time adjusting to our 2DL set and actually believe what he is seeing and in the football situation he is seeing it in.

Salute the nation

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    A good move as long as he is just focusing on helping Bradley.
    What's really interesting that I just read is that he was the DB coach for the Seahawks in 2005 when the Steelers beat them in the SB and was the DB coach for the Cardinals in 2008 when yeah, the Steelers beat them in the SB.

He got over the hump in 2011 when he was DB coach for the Ravens when they won the SB. At least he has a lot of Super Bowl experience. Maybe he can show Tomlin and co. how to get back there again?
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology that’s never even been invented yet.” - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    He must really suck!
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology that’s never even been invented yet.” - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez