Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Extension

Tomlin Extension

Just read an article citing Bouchette that Colbert will be on year to year contracts and stay as long as he wants and the club is competitive. Tomlin will be extended before training camp. You gotta be kidding me.

People still read Douchette?
    Fire Mikey Cool Shades

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSask View Post
    Just read an article citing Bouchette that Colbert will be on year to year contracts and stay as long as he wants and the club is competitive. Tomlin will be extended before training camp. You gotta be kidding me.
    That is freaking backwards. Colbert should be extended, and Tomlin should be year to year. PLEASE ART, DO WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE TWO YEARS AGO. MAKE THIS YEAR A PROVE IT YEAR. IF HE DOES WELL, THEN EXTEND HIM.

I am not sure why anyone is surprised. There was a cleansing, remember? This is all Bell and Brown's fault. If not for Bell and Brown, the D wouldn't have blown those 4th quarter leads and Boswell wouldn't have missed all those field goals. The Steelers under Tomlin will be back, better than ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Tomlin a life time contract and a blank check.

Geez! To extend Cool Shades at this juncture is irresponsible of Art. Tomlin enabled Mr. Little Chest and most likely discouraged DumBell who knew the plan was to run the wheels off therefore he stayed away.
    Make him earn it this season and stop thinking he can’t be replaced because he can.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Colbert wants it year to year as he is nearing retirement age.

Douchette is just speculating about Tomlin.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

Tomlin has deep roots in the city. If the season goes well, he isn't leaving. He simply is not. If it goes poorly, why do you want to be on the hook for additional years? You make players earn it. Why not coaches?

It's really simple, Ben is tied to Tomlin. Ben got extended, so expect HCMT to be here as long as Ben is. No major changes will occur until that duo is seperated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I am not sure why anyone is surprised. There was a cleansing, remember? This is all Bell and Brown's fault. If not for Bell and Brown, the D wouldn't have blown those 4th quarter leads and Boswell wouldn't have missed all those field goals. The Steelers under Tomlin will be back, better than ever.
    Mr. Daniel M. Rooney is sorely missed.
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology that’s never even been invented yet.” - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth View Post
    Mr. Daniel M. Rooney is sorely missed.
    Dan M. Rooney was alive and well when Art didn't want to pay Cowher as much as Holmgren after Super Bowl 40.

Dumb move. Wait until Tomlin proves he is making changes. So far, I have seen nothing. If he is still doing the game planning and play calling for the D, we will still have problems.

Extending Tomlin now is foolish. Let him work his contract, let it expire, and then explore other options.

Let this HC feel a sense of urgency for God's sake. There have been a lot of personnel changes, not enough coaching changes and no proven strategies that we are going to operate differently. Extending him before training camp would be a joke. He still has time on his contract and it is not like he is living paycheck to paycheck. He needs to learn that he has major coaching flaws that need to be addressed before this team ties up more money in his future. It is bad enough we are eating 20 plus million for the AB fiasco.

What's their definition of competitive? Mediocrity?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

This is like a Saturday Night Live skit. They're not that funny to start with, then they drag on until it's painful.
    Last edited by CharlesDavenport; 05-09-2019 at 01:41 PM.

I don't want them to extend him either, I think he's a decent coach, but I can see where they are coming from.
    1.-We have the second best record since 2010 behind only the Cheats
    2.-Ben has only a few seasons left, bringing in totally new schemes and terminology now may not be the best idea
    3.-We are stuck in the same conference as the cheats, so it's going to be tough to get through the playoffs. Since 2006 there's only been what 4 AFC coaches to get to the Super Bowl other than Belicheat, Tomlin did it twice.
    4.-Having said all that, Rooney and the Steelers would be a laughing stock if they fired a coach with a good record who is considered by many "experts" to be a top 5 coach, and then went down hill.

My opinion is Tomlin won with Cowher's players, I don't care what anyone says, and as those players left so did this teams success and leadership and Tomlin has yet to rebuild that. He's to involved with the defense and that's a big reason they suck. I think he's replaceable, IMO, but with the above I can see why they are reluctant to make a change.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Tomlin seems to be better when it's an "us against the world" thing and his back is up against the wall, so why wouldn't they make him feel like his back is up against the wall?
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology that’s never even been invented yet.” - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    I don't want them to extend him either, I think he's a decent coach, but I can see where they are coming from.
    1.-We have the second best record since 2010 behind only the Cheats
    2.-Ben has only a few seasons left, bringing in totally new schemes and terminology now may not be the best idea
    3.-We are stuck in the same conference as the cheats, so it's going to be tough to get through the playoffs. Since 2006 there's only been what 4 AFC coaches to get to the Super Bowl other than Belicheat, Tomlin did it twice.
    4.-Having said all that, Rooney and the Steelers would be a laughing stock if they fired a coach with a good record who is considered by many "experts" to be a top 5 coach, and then went down hill.

My opinion is Tomlin won with Cowher's players, I don't care what anyone says, and as those players left so did this teams success and leadership and Tomlin has yet to rebuild that. He's to involved with the defense and that's a big reason they suck. I think he's replaceable, IMO, but with the above I can see why they are reluctant to make a change.
    Unfortunately I think you are right that ownership probably believes that keeping Tomlin gives us the best chance to win while Ben is here.

LOL....It's funny because this Forum hates Tomlin.

Fact is 80-90% of the league would love to have his success. Yeah, I said it....

Ranked #19 Greatest Head Coach of All-Time here https://athlonsports.com/nfl/25-grea...es-nfl-history
    Last edited by SteveA; 05-09-2019 at 03:15 PM.