Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: “Defense is Designed to Lose” – LB Vince Williams

  1. #21
    This is why "cover" guys are so important these days. It is also why I valued Greedy Williams so much. That said, the draft worked out well as we got a bigger DB in Layne.....I am glad we gor a bigger DB for a change....

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    It is, clearly, what he is saying.
    Even so, still a terrible mindset.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  3. #23
    Member Hines57's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,815
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    I'm saying "dominant" is not required. Even 2 or 3 more turnovers last year could have changed the outcomes of some games. Even with being middling D (poor with regard to turnovers), it took blatant ref blunders to keep us from the beating two PO teams.

    With our poor ability to get turnovers, those self-inflicted wounds are killers that we cannot recover from.
    I hear you. Those referee calls v NO and SD fucked us hard. Losing the Bronco game was also a back breaker.

  4. #24
    the rules are definitely slanted towards the offense, but in no era under no rules is it smart to ask your ILB to cover the other teams #1WR, something we did vs SD and have tried over and over again vs NE with Timmons. Also in no era or under any rules is it smart to use just 2 Dlinemen(hail mary excluded) especially in short yardage or goal line situations, something we continually do.

    The Following 5 Users Like This Post:



  5. #25
    We all have witnessed this defense Vince is not telling stories

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  6. #26
    Member Hines57's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,815
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    the rules are definitely slanted towards the offense, but in no era under no rules is it smart to ask your ILB to cover the other teams #1WR, something we did vs SD and have tried over and over again vs NE with Timmons. Also in no era or under any rules is it smart to use just 2 Dlinemen(hail mary excluded) especially in short yardage or goal line situations, something we continually do.
    exactly this

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by mightyguru View Post
    He's not wrong.
    Well, he is wrong, in how he stated it. "Ds are NOT designed to lose." That would mean they were purposely engineered to fail. They are not. Now, the NFL maybe creating an environment to allow more scoring, but Ds are not "designed to lose." They try their darndest to win, but the chips keep getting stacked against them.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    the rules are definitely slanted towards the offense, but in no era under no rules is it smart to ask your ILB to cover the other teams #1WR, something we did vs SD and have tried over and over again vs NE with Timmons. Also in no era or under any rules is it smart to use just 2 Dlinemen(hail mary excluded) especially in short yardage or goal line situations, something we continually do.
    So, that means our coaches are dim.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    the rules are definitely slanted towards the offense, but in no era under no rules is it smart to ask your ILB to cover the other teams #1WR, something we did vs SD and have tried over and over again vs NE with Timmons. Also in no era or under any rules is it smart to use just 2 Dlinemen(hail mary excluded) especially in short yardage or goal line situations, something we continually do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
    exactly this
    While I do not disagree, the results of other teams not doing this was the same result as what we did v SD. They scored 28 or more points in 6 other games during the year, and more than 21 in 6 others. They were, under most circumstances going to be scoring 21+ points regardless of what we did or did not do. They scored less than 21 points 3 times in the 2018 season.

    Even with that shitty D system and calls, we did exactly what others did vs SD last year, which was get scored on.

    With a gift TD to SD, an INT on the opponents 8 and that is the game where Conner got hurt, we lost by 3 points.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bufford View Post
    Well, he is wrong, in how he stated it. "Ds are NOT designed to lose." That would mean they were purposely engineered to fail. They are not. Now, the NFL maybe creating an environment to allow more scoring, but Ds are not "designed to lose." They try their darndest to win, but the chips keep getting stacked against them.

    Semantics
    Last edited by ark steel; 05-14-2019 at 08:18 PM.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bufford View Post
    Well, he is wrong, in how he stated it. "Ds are NOT designed to lose." That would mean they were purposely engineered to fail. They are not. Now, the NFL maybe creating an environment to allow more scoring, but Ds are not "designed to lose." They try their darndest to win, but the chips keep getting stacked against them.
    Teeth have been taken out of the defense for years...by design. Rules are slanted towards Offense continually...by design. I can't even imagine where the nfl would be if FF didn't exist. So, you're wrong.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  12. #32

    “Defense is Designed to Lose” – LB Vince Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bufford View Post
    Well, he is wrong, in how he stated it. "Ds are NOT designed to lose." That would mean they were purposely engineered to fail. They are not. Now, the NFL maybe creating an environment to allow more scoring, but Ds are not "designed to lose." They try their darndest to win, but the chips keep getting stacked against them.
    Expound in this please.....

    If Defenses are not purposely engineered to fail, then what does your comment of “creating an environment to allow more scoring” (the single purpose of the offense) mean? If the league is “creating” a competitive imbalance between each side of the ball, how is that not an adverse obstacle for the other side?

    Educate us on this statement.


    Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

  13. #33
    Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    between $2 short & ten buck two
    Posts
    11,911
    Rep Power
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bufford View Post
    And yet, which teams advance in the playoffs? Teams with better Ds. How did Pats win the Super Bowl? With their D.


    GIVE our team a 20% correct knowing the other team's play called and you be asking about our "D" and SB win...........

    \




    Salute the nation

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Drink IRON City View Post
    GIVE our team a 20% correct knowing the other team's play called and you be asking about our "D" and SB win...........

    \




    Salute the nation
    you don't even need to know every play. if you exercised that ability correctly (and you know they do), knowing as few as 5 key plays in a game could significantly alter the results.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    While I do not disagree, the results of other teams not doing this was the same result as what we did v SD. They scored 28 or more points in 6 other games during the year, and more than 21 in 6 others. They were, under most circumstances going to be scoring 21+ points regardless of what we did or did not do. They scored less than 21 points 3 times in the 2018 season.

    Even with that shitty D system and calls, we did exactly what others did vs SD last year, which was get scored on.

    With a gift TD to SD, an INT on the opponents 8 and that is the game where Conner got hurt, we lost by 3 points.
    They did get a gift TD, but how many of those teams you referenced got scored on by SD, had them down by 16 points in the second half? SD was without their best play maker Gordon. So you have them down by 16, they are missing their RB, so that leaves them with Keenan Allen, and yet you still try to cover him with Williams and Bostic, 3rd and 4, game on the line and you have Bostic covering Allen, up by 16 them missing their best play maker RB Gordon, why in the hell are Bostic and Williams even in the game? You know they are going to be airing it out, they shouldn't even be on the field, but they are and you have them covering the other teams #1 WR and only playmaker?????????????? That's idiotic.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bufford View Post
    So, that means our coaches are dim.
    Yes. 2016 or 2015, at Baltimore, our offense is struggling because we are going run, run, pass punt, Baltimores offense is doing nothing either. Ben wants to go no huddle in the 3rd quarter. Baltimore suddenly scores twice and we are down in the 4th, we have to go no huddle, Ben lights them up for 200 yards and 2 tds but it's no enough. When asked about going to the no huddle earlier, Tomlin says, well their offense wasn't doing anything so we were comfortable staying status quo, what the fuck????? This is why you lose fucking games, instead of trying to win while they are struggling, you say you're fine struggling to score since they are. Yes our head coach is very dim.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  17. #37
    In 2018 we had 2 defensive positions inadequately manned, ILB & LCB, a first year position switch at FS and a rookie manning SS.
    I see the D taking a major step in performance in 2019, management addressed the deficiencies this offseason, they didn't last year.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  18. #38
    Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marietta, OH
    Posts
    3,831
    Rep Power
    141
    I been waiting for that very thing since what 2012?

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    They did get a gift TD, but how many of those teams you referenced got scored on by SD, had them down by 16 points in the second half? SD was without their best play maker Gordon. So you have them down by 16, they are missing their RB, so that leaves them with Keenan Allen, and yet you still try to cover him with Williams and Bostic, 3rd and 4, game on the line and you have Bostic covering Allen, up by 16 them missing their best play maker RB Gordon, why in the hell are Bostic and Williams even in the game? You know they are going to be airing it out, they shouldn't even be on the field, but they are and you have them covering the other teams #1 WR and only playmaker?????????????? That's idiotic.
    For the most part, The points at any particular point in the game are irrelevant, except at one time and that is when the clock reads 00:00.

    You act like im disagreeing with you, when i have even stated i don't.

    Im trying to get you to realize that SD scores a loton other teams. What that (and the gronk example) should lead you to think about is that, had we done something different, maybe allen doesn't do what he did, but, as evidence suggests, someone else does and SD still scores the same amount of points.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    For the most part, The points at any particular point in the game are irrelevant, except at one time and that is when the clock reads 00:00.

    You act like im disagreeing with you, when i have even stated i don't.

    Im trying to get you to realize that SD scores a loton other teams. What that (and the gronk example) should lead you to think about is that, had we done something different, maybe allen doesn't do what he did, but, as evidence suggests, someone else does and SD still scores the same amount of points.
    I'm not saying you're disagreeing, but just because SD scores on other teams doesn't mean they have to score on us. And yes time of the game is very relevant. So you're telling me a team that is trailing by double digit points in the second half of a game isn't going to be more likely to throw the ball, especially missing their pro bowl RB???

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Follow @SteeIerNation