Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Neither Side Stopping Immigration: U.S. Fertility Rates The Reason?

  1. #1
    Forefather

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    El Paso, Rep. of TX
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    74

    Neither Side Stopping Immigration: U.S. Fertility Rates The Reason?

    I've been positing since late last year, when we first heard of these large-scale caravans making their way to our southern border, that neither Democrats (for obvious reasons) and Republicans (for not-so-obvious ones) have done little to address the issue of mass (illegal) immigration. The Republicans have paid plenty of lip service as to how they want to strictly enforce our immigration laws, yet we still see hundreds-to-thousands of mostly Central Americans arrive at the border daily/weekly. I should know, as I work, let's say, in this business. Tough talk about ending chain migration will need congressional action to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act (an executive order won't suffice), but we all know that's unlikely to happen. On the other side, Trump's offer a while back to legalize the DACA/Dreamers was declined by the Dems because they didn't want to fund the wall. This is all political gamesmanship, and it continues all the while several hundred thousand migrants have made their way north.

    The reasons (economic hardships, violence, corruption) they come underlie what I believe to be the real reason they are being allowed in to the U.S., a fact that is obfuscated by partisan fighting.

    This article was published not too long ago, but echoes my "theory"... that U.S. birthrates have declined while advances in medicine and technology are allowing Americans to live longer. Simple math and economics will reveal that: 1) fewer young workers to pay into SS, 2) a growing # of retirees dipping into SS, and 3) a slowly-depleting SS fund will lead to disaster.

    Is it out of the realm of possibility that our government realizes this, and has allowed the influx of migrants to take place? Have they given up on the idea that native births will begin to increase soon? Is the U.S. ready to turn to imported babies as the fix to the problem?

    By the way, the Israelis have no problem popping out babies:
    https://www.christianpost.com/voice/...lity-rate.html

  2. #2
    Here are some stupid (I’m buzzed) thoughts.

    1. Hard to afford multiple kids anymore

    2. #itsboutme movement where it’s not about family and that dream but rather what do I have

    3. Women. (Yeah sorry). I think women have become more focused on status gains in workforce than family. And that fine and great but, to your point. Once someone (man or women) is “established “ in their field their mid/late 30s.

    4. Me - money. One child and maybe wanted more, money and what I want for me, my family, and what I could for other kids wasn’t there.


    Maybe if we had more trumps in the WH for years I wouldn’t have been handcuffed. Or maybe it would have been the same.

  3. #3
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    4,575
    Rep Power
    158
    The problem with the theory is the assumption that illegals pay into Social Security and other taxes. They are a drain on this country’s resources with the government benefits and will not solve the population problem, IMO.

    As an aside, Japan and some other countries are in deep shit with this birth rate problem and relying more and more on automation and robots in their workforce.

  4. #4
    Lifetime
    Ron Burgundy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, PA
    Posts
    18,230
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    431
    That's one reason why Merkel opened up the borders in Germany.
    "It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a disposition to drunkenness among the common people; but that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776

  5. #5
    Member hamster's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Picksburgh, PA
    Posts
    7,834
    Rep Power
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
    will not solve the population problem, IMO.
    I forgot that we had a population problem, too.
    If so, shouldn't we be encouraging people that can't afford kids. to not have kids?
    You lost. Get over it.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  6. #6
    I don't know why our elected representatives don't act on illegal immigration. I doubt that they all get secretly briefed on the declining birthrate and have collectively decided to allow illegal immigration. I believe that Democrats will always be in favor of loose immigration laws for the extra dependency class votes and Republicans are just useless.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  7. #7
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.189de0e21773

    The USA with it's high housing and healthcare costs is getting too expensive to have kids. Many think it's too expensive to live and are leaving for cheaper countries.

  8. #8
    Esteemed Throbbing Member

    Superman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Trampa, FL
    Posts
    12,302
    Rep Power
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by 21STEELERS21 View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.189de0e21773

    The USA with it's high housing and healthcare costs is getting too expensive to have kids. Many think it's too expensive to live and are leaving for cheaper countries.
    wash, rinse, repeat ... been going on for decades

  9. #9
    Member
    Steeltime's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The nearest Steelers bar.
    Posts
    7,233
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by suncitysteel View Post
    This article was published not too long ago, but echoes my "theory"... that U.S. birthrates have declined while advances in medicine and technology are allowing Americans to live longer. Simple math and economics will reveal that: 1) fewer young workers to pay into SS, 2) a growing # of retirees dipping into SS, and 3) a slowly-depleting SS fund will lead to disaster.
    I hear 'ya. But to solve the undeniable problem of not enough citizens paying into the Ponzi scheme known as social security is NOT to have uneducated, unskilled workers by the millions pour in, with miniscule wages and huge demands on public spending (schools, school lunches, Section 8, medical care).

    Increase legal immigration on a merit system. Bring in immigrants who start businesses, employ people, innovate, and pay taxes - not the herd of tax-sucking illegals pouring across our southern border.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    Of course I'm despicable...

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  10. #10
    Member
    Steeltime's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The nearest Steelers bar.
    Posts
    7,233
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by 21STEELERS21 View Post
    The USA with it's high housing and healthcare costs is getting too expensive to have kids. Many think it's too expensive to live and are leaving for cheaper countries.
    Careful how you talk about Tibs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    Of course I'm despicable...

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltime View Post
    I hear 'ya. But to solve the undeniable problem of not enough citizens paying into the Ponzi scheme known as social security is NOT to have uneducated, unskilled workers by the millions pour in, with miniscule wages and huge demands on public spending (schools, school lunches, Section 8, medical care).

    Increase legal immigration on a merit system. Bring in immigrants who start businesses, employ people, innovate, and pay taxes - not the herd of tax-sucking illegals pouring across our southern border.
    Pay taxes?!? That’s racist

  12. #12
    US birth rates hit 32-year low, not enough to replace population

    A United States government report released last week showed a record low in the birth rate in the United States for women in their teens and 20s - the lowest rate in 32 years.

    The report also showed that the total fertility rate in the US is expected to be 1.73 children per woman through their child-bearing years, a drop of 2% from last year.

    The 1.73% fertility rate means that today's US generation is not having enough babies to replace itself.

    The trend of lower birth rates was found across all races, including Asians, Hispanics, whites and blacks.

    http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/263367

    ------------------------------


    Bad news for millennials. Who will be missing out on Social Security benefits when they reach retirement age and there is no one funding the kitty.

  13. #13
    Lifetime
    Ron Burgundy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, PA
    Posts
    18,230
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDavenport View Post
    I don't know why our elected representatives don't act on illegal immigration. I doubt that they all get secretly briefed on the declining birthrate and have collectively decided to allow illegal immigration. I believe that Democrats will always be in favor of loose immigration laws for the extra dependency class votes and Republicans are just useless.
    Dems want cheap labor and voters, Pubbies want cheap labor and both sides are afraid of pissing off the Hispanic voters because they're a swing vote. Neither side really gives a crap about the black vote because they're going to vote 90%+ Democrat. Hispanics break about 60/40 Dem/Pubbie and keep their vote in play.
    "It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a disposition to drunkenness among the common people; but that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Follow @SteeIerNation