Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: 2019-20 Penguins and NHL Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    That Letang goal was sick. He had a ton of body control on that. He is athletic.
    He’s dynamic, admit it.

His mental gaffes are there as always, but you get those big play moments out of him.
    He has a lot more gaffes than big play moments these days. A lot. Admit it.

That Letang goal was sick. He had a ton of body control on that. He is athletic.
    Hes dynamic, admit it.

His mental gaffes are there as always, but you get those big play moments out of him.
    For a defensive guy being a defensive liability is the last thing you should ever be. You need that in the playoffs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    He has a lot more gaffes than big play moments these days. A lot. Admit it.
    Letang hasn’t been the same since his stroke. At this point he is what he is

Hes dynamic, admit it.

The issue is that in the playoffs you have to be defensively sound. He lost the Washington series year before last almost all by himself. I lost count of how many TOs he had in that series. The last one was in OT in game 6. Just gave the puck away and the cap comes in on our goalie on a break away. You just can't have that from a defensive player. This team has the offense especially when Malkin comes back. It needs a good shot from the point, someone to move the puck, and someone just not to lose the game. The past few years he hasn't been able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The issue is that in the playoffs you have to be defensively sound. He lost the Washington series year before last almost all by himself. I lost count of how many TOs he had in that series. The last one was in OT in game 6. Just gave the puck away and the cap comes in on our goalie on a break away. You just can't have that from a defensive player. This team has the offense especially when Malkin comes back. It needs a good shot from the point, someone to move the puck, and someone just not to lose the game. The past few years he hasn't been able to do that.
    Last year Malkin was the king of turn overs.

Anyone have a good reddit link to watch the games? I found one, but they wanted credit card info...of course, they swore they weren’t going to charge.

Well that ended shitty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelr4evr View Post
    Well that ended shitty.
    The youngins are slowly being phased out again.
    Sucks to see McCann bitten by the injury bug.

Jack Johnson has no place on this team if the Pens want to continue with a speed game.
    No Dumoulin hurt this team tonight in the D side of things. Not a bad stretch for an injured team

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I'll take the unpopular opinion on Letang. Does he make mistakes, plenty. When you are a puck moving D-man that averages almost 26 minutes, things are going to happen. The important part for me is does he add more than he takes away from winning ? I'm not the biggest fan of advanced stats but it is somewhat more reliable than the TV eye test. Most years Letang has been in the Norris conversation for good reason. If you look at D-man rankings through the first 9 games he fares very well.

Corsica Hockey has him ranked 1 for the start of this season. Corsi ranking include WAR as well as almost all other advanced measures.

https://www.corsicahockey.com/nhl/pl...tings-rankings

Natural Stat trick has him at 4th. The site measures only scoring for the most part.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...&draftteam=ALL

I think Letang does what he is asked to do well. He will win you games and he will cost you some. I think the good FAR out weighs the bad.

The Following User Likes This Post:

JMM

Win some lose some works in the regular season. You lose some win some in post season you won't be around long. He plays worse the more you need him. His jumping up in the play has cost the pens two years in a row. I'm not good with a player that is 50/50 to win or lose a game. Some players can make mistakes that won't kill your chances to win. A defense-man doesn't have that luxury. He makes a few mistakes in the game and you could have 5 pucks in the back of your net. Just like he did in the caps game a couple of years ago. He makes a mistake and the season is over.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Win some lose some works in the regular season. You lose some win some in post season you won't be around long. He plays worse the more you need him. His jumping up in the play has cost the pens two years in a row. I'm not good with a player that is 50/50 to win or lose a game. Some players can make mistakes that won't kill your chances to win. A defense-man doesn't have that luxury. He makes a few mistakes in the game and you could have 5 pucks in the back of your net. Just like he did in the caps game a couple of years ago. He makes a mistake and the season is over.
    Bingo!

I knew I would take some heat for that post. I've wanted to trade him a few times but when you look at the overall performance. I want him on the team.

Interesting that Letang is a career +7 in the playoffs. Has contributed 80 playoff points.

Also has a Game winning OT goal. Has also been a Top 10 Norris candidate for 6 of the last 8 seasons in which he played the majority of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    I knew I would take some heat for that post. I've wanted to trade him a few times but when you look at the overall performance. I want him on the team.

Interesting that Letang is a career +7 in the playoffs. Has contributed 80 playoff points.

Also has a Game winning OT goal. Has also been a Top 10 Norris candidate for 6 of the last 8 seasons in which he played the majority of the year.
    He has a game winning OT goal but he also has a game losing TO that lead to the caps OT goal that won the series for them. Again he isn't a horrible player but at times he makes horrible plays.

It wasn't just Letang that lost that series. If they had played better as a team, it would not have come down to that turnover. Jsut my .02