Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penguins and NHL Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
    This is exactly it. No one wanted the Penguins to make this move last year outside of Rutherford and everyone said it was for too long and too much money. Maybe they still would have needed to trade Maatta, but it would have been nice to have a bit more flexibility without Johnson's bad contract.
    Yes, and this is that disconnect I'm talking about between Rutherford and Sullivan. Rutherford obviously thinks we should play a different style than Sullivans system. Johnson is definitely not a fit for that system, Reaves was not a fit, Oleksiak not a fit.

Seems over his career, Jack Johnson hasn't been a fit for any system. I guess he is okay for 5-6 defenseman, but he is not suited for the role in which he is cast. I still don't understand the signing, especially the term and cost, considering his age and track record. It was just a dumb signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Seems over his career, Jack Johnson hasn't been a fit for any system. I guess he is okay for 5-6 defenseman, but he is not suited for the role in which he is cast. I still don't understand the signing, especially the term and cost, considering his age and track record. It was just a dumb signing.
    He and Sid are very close friends, that probably had a little to do with the signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    He and Sid are very close friends, that probably had a little to do with the signing.
    Oh yea, I'd say so, as well.

On Johnson, No doubt Sid did his bankrupt buddy a good turn. I'm sure Sid gave it the "he wasn't used right". For a 3rd overall pick, he is a failure. He had a few moments last year but they were damn few. He will hit and block shots, that's about all that is left. Gonchar had a full season to fix him and nothing really changed. Send his ass down to Wilkes Barre. If someone claims him, oh well. Sending him down save about $1.1 M on the cap. I don't think it's wise to buy him out until we see the cap. Rumors are that it will be less than expected and that's not good news for us.

The disconnect is there. Sully and GMJR are both stubborn. Sully believes in the fast/skill scheme. Sully was right and everyone copied it. Problem is they got younger faster and we got old and slower. I like some of our recent adds, Blueger,McCann, Bjugstad, Petterson they all skate well. I even like Gudbranson, he certainly isn't fast but he does play a role.

I would ramble on but let's wait and see what happens this weekend. There will some moves. We are against the cap, still have a few to re-sign.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I don't know if any of you read hockey books ? I highly recommend Behind The Bench by Craig Custance. He does some great coaching interviews. Sully was interviewed as well as Torterella, Babock, Hitchcock and others. Anyway I enjoyed it.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Rangers are making moves, adding Trouba with more moves to come, and Philly is shoring up their defense adding Niskanen and Hayes. Division is going to be a meat grinder this year. Caps are tough, Jackets if they can keep it together, Carolina is improved, Isles are tough and the Rags and Flyers are trying to get better.

One thing for sure, can’t go into the season half-cocked this year, that’s for sure.

MTC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Rangers are making moves, adding Trouba with more moves to come, and Philly is shoring up their defense adding Niskanen and Hayes. Division is going to be a meat grinder this year. Caps are tough, Jackets if they can keep it together, Carolina is improved, Isles are tough and the Rags and Flyers are trying to get better.

One thing for sure, can’t go into the season half-cocked this year, that’s for sure.
    Hate to say it, but the caps are going to be a force this season.

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Hate to say it, but the caps are going to be a force this season.
    craps got better, Flyers got better, Rangers got better, Islanders and Canes are were already tough for us. The Pens are on a downward spiral. Most of this is a function of consistently winning. You deplete the farm and sooner or later, here we are. The window isn't shut but it really close.

JMM

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    craps got better, Flyers got better, Rangers got better, Islanders and Canes are were already tough for us. The Pens are on a downward spiral. Most of this is a function of consistently winning. You deplete the farm and sooner or later, here we are. The window isn't shut but it really close.
    Part of it is winning and part of it is bad to horrible trades. Washington won the cup last year and has been in the thick of things for years. Winning isn't putting them on a downward spiral. The Pens problem is because of horrible trades and a massive disconnect between Sully and Rutherford.

well, I said to myself that gimme the B2B Cups and I'll be content if they start going in the tank as the price of winning. I'm affraid there are some really tough years ahead. I hope they are not totally gutted and wilted when GMJR bows out. After Sid and Geno are gone, I think we will see another Rico Fata-era type Penguins. The farm needs filled and they have no one there.
    There are rumblings that Letang is on the block, so I expect him or Kessel or both will be moved. They need fresh blood in here that is young and hungry. I think that's the only way they will get there. Will be an interesting weekend in Vancouver..

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thesteelcity View Post
    well, I said to myself that gimme the B2B Cups and I'll be content if they start going in the tank as the price of winning. I'm affraid there are some really tough years ahead. I hope they are not totally gutted and wilted when GMJR bows out. After Sid and Geno are gone, I think we will see another Rico Fata-era type Penguins. The farm needs filled and they have no one there.
    There are rumblings that Letang is on the block, so I expect him or Kessel or both will be moved. They need fresh blood in here that is young and hungry. I think that's the only way they will get there. Will be an interesting weekend in Vancouver..
    The salary cap is set up to create parity and sadly it's working. You have to dump aging vets before they reach their expiration date. The other issue is having a strong scouting department and keeping the farm growing. Our farm is a bunch of weeds. We dealt away the future for "win now'. We've won 3 cups in the past 10 years and I'm OK with that (should have had 2 more). I think everyone of us here, knew the Pens weren't going anywhere in the playoffs. They should have sold at the deadline and focused on this year and maybe next. Who knows ? Maybe they tried and the value wasn't there.

With what is happening in the Metro. I think the pens will struggle to make the playoffs. Tonight and free agency in July will be fore telling. GMJR cannot make another mistake. The McCann, Blueger, Simon, Bujgstad all have to live up to their potential. I won't write them off yet but I pretty much agree with you.
    Last edited by Uncle Ben; 06-21-2019 at 05:10 PM.

JMM

To be honest the two cups were enough for me to be happy. I know you can't win every year. Hopefully the next few years they can re-tool before Sid retires.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    To be honest the two cups were enough for me to be happy. I know you can't win every year. Hopefully the next few years they can re-tool before Sid retires.
    We're spoiled. Look at the Blues 49 years.

I have followed the Pens since 67. Waited until 91 for the first one. I'll always be a fan but it is a lot more fun when you win. Seeing this teams identity age, get traded or retire will be tough. Next man up !

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

With the 21st Pock in the 2019 NHL Draft. The Pittsburgh Penguins select Samuel Poulin. A bit of a reach but I'm sure thr Pens are better at homework than I am. Here is the best scouting report I've seen

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/05...outing-report/

I just want two more cups out of Sid&crew. Ok,1 more at least. If you can get the guys to play as if they've never won a thing. They can absolutely win more. "Whatever it takes!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Same here. Being the 1st team to go back to back in 20 years.
    I’ve become content as a fan. When the next torch is passed, I’ll want those guys to get a cup.

This season and the year prior didn’t bother as much.
    Especially this season, knowing we weren’t primed for a playoff push. Getting swept didn’t sting at all

Pens trade up lesser pick to move up into the 3rd round. They select Nathan Legare. Where I thought the first pick was a bot of a reach. This long looks like a steal. Here's a good scouting report.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nathan-...spect-profile/

Wanted to add Poulin and Legare are good friends, going back to when they were 8. Both power forwards with a high compete level. Seems like the Pens did do some homework.

Round 5 Pick 145 The Pens take Judd Caulfield

Another big power forward. The trend continues. He's not related to Cole.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/06...uting-reports/