Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Melvin Gordon Dumb?

Is Melvin Gordon Dumb?

He is threatening to pull a Bell/Brown, wanting a long-term contract or trade or possibly sit-out. He is in last year of rookie deal which will pay him 5.6 mil salary
    in 2019. In 4 years he has only rushed for 1000 yds once, but does catch about 50 balls a year. Not sure what he expects for that production. But seems smarter to
    take the 5.6 mil, have a good season and hit the open market as UFA in 2020. Not sure they even missed him that much when he got injured last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 21STEELERS21 View Post
    He is threatening to pull a Bell/Brown, wanting a long-term contract or trade or possibly sit-out. He is in last year of rookie deal which will pay him 5.6 mil salary
    in 2019. In 4 years he has only rushed for 1000 yds once, but does catch about 50 balls a year. Not sure what he expects for that production. But seems smarter to
    take the 5.6 mil, have a good season and hit the open market as UFA in 2020. Not sure they even missed him that much when he got injured last year.
    Great theory, until the team slaps the franchise tag on him...............which is what Gordon knows will happen since they lowballed him earlier this off-season.

Lots of players are dumb. Josh Norman ran with the bulls in Spain

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Guys see big dollar contracts from their peers and they want to get paid huge too. The $$ in this game is absolutely mind boggling.

The Following User Likes This Post:

He's going to get one chance to cash in. So I don't blame him for attempting to maximize his value.

I don't blame hime for going for the pay day, but not sure this guy has enough in his sack to command a big contract. We'll see

He averages about 60 yds running and 3 catches a game. I can't see them franchise tagging him.

Decent amount of RBs are dumb as fuck.

Not ours mind you.

She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

There was simply no way that the Bell thing was not going to have a ripple effect. I think most believed that if he didn't play the minimum games on the second Franchise that he would not gain Free Agency. not the way it turned out. My guess is that Browns bullshit will also have a similar effect, so I would be very careful giving anyone more money up front to massage the cap.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I don't know what Gordon was watching but if he is fashioning his bargaining techniques after Bell he's a moron. Bell left 14.5 million on the table and then took less than the Steelers offered to play for the door mat of the league.

Chargers have 2 23 yr old backs behind him that were just as productive in 2018. I believe they would like him to play in 2019 and then walk.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I don't know what Gordon was watching but if he is fashioning his bargaining techniques after Bell he's a moron. Bell left 14.5 million on the table and then took less than the Steelers offered to play for the door mat of the league.
    Exactly. AND - Melvin Gordon isn't as good as the Lev Bell of that time (not sure what he's going to look like moving forward). While Bell's decision was one of the dumber in the history of the game - Gordon's production levels, like 21 has eluded to, don't come close.

He's playing w/ fire, IMO...

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

The short answer is: YES

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    The short answer is: YES
    Melvin Gordon be like...

via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
    Guys see big dollar contracts from their peers and they want to get paid huge too. The $$ in this game is absolutely mind boggling.
    Let's also not forget their greedy agents are filling their heads to make these moves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It's pretty well known, by now, that Bell screwed up. I think the only progress he made by doing what he did is maybe more guaranteed $ and that's it. He lost that $14.5 mill forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 21STEELERS21 View Post
    Chargers have 2 23 yr old backs behind him that were just as productive in 2018. I believe they would like him to play in 2019 and then walk.
    Austin Ekeler avg. 5.3 per carry. I don't know if he's big enough to be an every down back, at just under 200 lbs. Justin Jackson was not as productive with a 4.1 apc, and he's also on the smallish size.

Quote Originally Posted by bermudasteel View Post
    Melvin Gordon be like...

via GIPHY

Holy crap that is funny! Dude just watches her faceplant and does nothing. He is probably still waiting for her to show him how to make a PBJ Samich.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSask View Post
    There was simply no way that the Bell thing was not going to have a ripple effect. I think most believed that if he didn't play the minimum games on the second Franchise that he would not gain Free Agency. not the way it turned out. My guess is that Browns bullshit will also have a similar effect, so I would be very careful giving anyone more money up front to massage the cap.
    I think the ripple effect is just getting started...next CBA could be a bear. Players want to get rid of that Ftag and teams going to want protections against "quiting" on those up front payouts.

Gordon has one season with 16 games played and one season over 4.0 yards per carry. I get that he wants a long-term deal right now, but I don't know how much bargaining power he has.