Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Devlin Hodges

Devlin Hodges

It's still early, but you have to figure he now has a chance to make the team. If he plays this well the next two games, I'm keeping him over Dobbs, not just because I think he's better than Dobbs, but because I think he might be able to eventually give Rudolph a run for his money. Some players just have IT, you can't always put a finger on it, but it's there. I think Rudolph can be a starter in this league, but I see him as being an Andy Dalton level starter, a bit better than O'Donnell. You could do much worse (Kyle Boller, or any Cleveland qb before Mayfield), but I don't see him becoming elite. He'll win games with a good team around him, but can he work some magic when games against big teams are on the line. It's early, but I see some Drew Brees in Hodges. Maybe he'll fall on his face the next two games, and be lucky to win a spot on the practice squad, but I don't think so.

The Following User Likes This Post:

well due to the NFL channel changing to another game at halftime, I will wait till tomorrow to respond

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

I am the first to be critical of Tomlin, but this is a situation where I have to go with his decision. Unquestionably, Devlin has far exceeded all expectations. But in the end Dobbs is going against 1s and 2s. He has made lots of good throws and runs. Devlin is going against 3s and 4s. I have to go with the coaching staff who watches the practice film every day. If they say Dobbs it is what it is. Devlin may indeed have a future. I feel 50/50 they could get him through to the PS. Who gives a shit about position, I have to keep him in the organization if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSask View Post
    I am the first to be critical of Tomlin, but this is a situation where I have to go with his decision. Unquestionably, Devlin has far exceeded all expectations. But in the end Dobbs is going against 1s and 2s. He has made lots of good throws and runs. Devlin is going against 3s and 4s. I have to go with the coaching staff who watches the practice film every day. If they say Dobbs it is what it is. Devlin may indeed have a future. I feel 50/50 they could get him through to the PS. Who gives a shit about position, I have to keep him in the organization if I can.
    I am hardly critical of any player and most times keep criticism to my self when I am, but so far this preseason Dobbs has yet to make a "good" throw. The best throws being attributed to him were horrible throws and just a case of Washington being so far open that both badly under thrown balls were still caught. Because they went to commercial last night I rewound and watched it, That was a TD if Dobbs just under throws a little. It was the same last week. Dobbs has looked wildly inaccurate this year both in camp and in the games. The big thing about Duck Dynasty is he is not only very accurate, he makes good decisions, both in camp and in the games. I hope they keep Hodges.

The Following 8 Users Like This Post:

I think you are seeing what you want to. The throw to Washington was good. Great gets a few more yards, perfect and a little luck scores. The throw to Roger's where he got the defenseless receiver call was excellent. The throw to Radar when he flushed the pocket. Same thing. Then he made a first down with his feet that looked impossible and had another throw away that saved a sack, same thing. I gotta be honest I don't think there is anyway they are parting with Dobbs. If Hodges put down good film in game 4, I could see them getting a very late round offer for him for a team to get him as a third string project. I do hate to lose him.

Dobbs does not throw a good ball with accuracy. It doesn't matter who you're playing against. It all comes down to mechanics under duress. I'd certainly like to see Hodges get more playing time which may be the last game of preseason if they play the starters more in game three.

However it goes, I like our depth at backup.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I think if this is next year and Rudolph has entrenched himself as the backup and a possible future starter maybe you would look at cutting Dobbs for Hodson. I'm pretty sure in their minds, the #2 isn't exactly clear. I have a biased against athletic QB's vs. pure pocket passers, so I would like to see Rudolph win the 2 and progress. But I'm not sure that is how they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSask View Post
    I would like to see Devlin given a start. I think he has earned it. Not sure at this point that a team wouldn't snag him off the PS. They have to ultimately make the decision. Personally I think it is silly at this point to hold onto Dobbs because of his splash play ability. Especially when those plays come with inaccuracy and INTs.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

MTC

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDavenport View Post
    However it goes, I like our depth at backup.
    All three are better than Landry Jones ever was.

The Following 8 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by steelermania View Post
    On that I don't think anyone in their right minds could argue.

Especially when those plays come with inaccuracy and INTs.
    $$$$$

That INT in the red zone was atrocious. Guy has played long enough to know to either eat it, or throw it away. Throwin' that duck was terrible.

Hodges has the tools to be a quality long-term backup quarterback. Before I get too excited, I want to see what he can do at least against the No. 2s. I wonder if the Steelers would even keep 3 QBs with the depth at some of the other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by stillerfaninfl View Post
    That INT in the red zone was atrocious. Guy has played long enough to know to either eat it, or throw it away. Throwin' that duck was terrible.
    When the two QBs you are playing alongside of look like more polished veterans than you, something is wrong. Dobbs has his moments, but he's still inaccurate and makes questionable decisions too often. Hodges, under pressure, made a veteran-type throw to DJ for that 2nd TD. If he wasn't under duress, he probably gets more air under it and it's an easy TD for Johnson.
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology thatís never even been invented yet.Ē - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Landry was never used properly

Here We GO!!!

The only think Dobbs has going for him, is he's cheap and he's under contract for 2 more years. The cap cut or trade would actually be Rudolph, who is signed until 2021. He is already paid more than Dobbs and his salary escalates bu $200k each year after this.

If you're going for years, Rudolph and Hodges are the choice.

If you're going for cap savings, you go with Dobbs and Hodges.

If the Steelers can get a 4th or 5th for Dobbs, they should move him. Anything higher is a no brainer.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Dobbs has a lot of Dennis Dixon to his game. And thatís not a good thing heading into his third year. The inaccuracy seems to be a constant with him, seems he should be much improved by now. Maybe some team is desperate enough to take a flyer on him and we can get something in return.

Vince McMahon does not approve of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Dobbs has a lot of Dennis Dixon to his game. And thatís not a good thing heading into his third year. The inaccuracy seems to be a constant with him, seems he should be much improved by now. Maybe some team is desperate enough to take a flyer on him and we can get something in return.
    That third year more than often is the glimpse of things to come positively or negativity. Every once and awhile someone is a late bloomer but that is a rarity.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

dobbs throws and I kinda hold my breath. I don't think he is terrible,, but I watch and it just seems he is winging it down the field..