Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com

View Poll Results: Who gets your vote in 2020?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trump

19 95.00%
  • Other

1 5.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steeler Nation Union Members - Who gets your vote in 2020?

My experience with unions has led to my opinion that they are worthless, unnecessary and detrimental to profitability. Being in the steel industry, I have dealt with both the Steelworkers and the UAW. The dinosaur steel mills like U.S. Steel, AK Steel, ArcelorMittal etc... are all union. Just one quick example of how inefficient they are: I was running a chemical trial at Weirton Steel back in the day. I was setting up a metering pump when a guy comes over all red-assed and yells "You can't do that! You need Maintenance to work on that!" I had to wait over an hour for a guy to come over and tighten a hose clamp with a screwdriver. It still goes on today. On my last trip to USS a couple weeks ago, an old timer union guy, who I actually like, told me that he found a way to automate one of their processes that would save downtime and labor on their outage shift. He literally said "But fuck it. I'm not helping them. Every time we save this company money, the CEO gets a bonus." Conversely, the more modern steel mills like Nucor and Steel Dynamics are non-union. They pay their workers well and give them bonuses based on productivity. They also get profit sharing. They are much more productive and profitable. Compare the stocks...they don't lie.

Been a member of the Steelworkers Union since 04 and near as I can tell they're only function is to take 15 - 20 bucks a week out of my pay and then throw you under the bus when you actually need them. However I have no complaints about my wages, benefits, or pension. All of which are very competitive.
    As far as politics go,our Union has always been on the Dems dicks. Pushed hard for Hillary in 16 but over the last two to three years they've become neutral for the most part. When asked why they are not currently supporting the Dems the answer is always the same... the economy.

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stevielee View Post
    Been a member of the Steelworkers Union since 04 and near as I can tell they're only function is to take 15 - 20 bucks a week out of my pay and then throw you under the bus when you actually need them. However I have no complaints about my wages, benefits, or pension. All of which are very competitive.
    As far as politics go,our Union has always been on the Dems dicks. Pushed hard for Hillary in 16 but over the last two to three years they've become neutral for the most part. When asked why they are not currently supporting the Dems the answer is always the same... the economy.

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app
    If the Steelworkers endorse a Dim next year it's like cutting their own throat.