Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What does Hodges need to do to keep the job for another week?

How is putting Mason, our clear cut No. 2 QB, back in after the bye a bad thing? Hodges played OK. That's it. He didn't light anything up. He didn't even look better than Rudolph, let alone so much better than Rudolph to even warrant a conversation about him being starter. In fact, for him to be starter, he has to get rid of that ridiculous No. 6. Seeing him run around in No. 6 last night gave me nightmares of Bubby Brister and those are nightmares you don't want to know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    Mason will start and we will again struggle, he has a weak downfield arm and needs the player to be wide open before he throws the ball. Hodges anticipates the throws and lets her rip, much better for an NFL QB and the reason he had a great training camp and wowed the coaches with his more mature approach . We will beat the Phins the real question is whose style is better equiooed for trying to make a playoff run and a weak armed timid statue in the pocket is not the answer. He will start due to pedigree and we will suffer as a result.
    Rudolph doesn't have a weak downfield arm, throwing a good deep ball is what got him drafted, you may be right on anticipation, or he just doesn't trust himself at this level yet.

Sorry, there's no way this is a playoff team, too may holes. I say play Rudolph and open the playbook to downfield passing this year, at least figure out what we have in Mason.

Too bad we blew our 1st round pick, we go nowhere without a reciever that can seperate from DB's

Blog Entries
    All any QB under center needs is confidence and consistency.
    As long as Duck approaches every week and not make the game any bigger than it needs to be, he can get some W’s.

My only complaint is our wins seem to come at a price injury wise.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Rudolph has the better overall rating and TD percentage. They are playing them similar as their yards per pass play are identical. But Rudolph is safer with the football. How they are playing them I will go with the safer option, it is Rudy for me.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

I almost want to see Duck start again with the coaches allowing him to play his style of game however he’s just not good enough or experienced enough under center.

His best team would be in a dome to cover a very limited NFL arm.

What this season is showing us is none of our back ups are long term solutions. Rudy could be a good back up, but I don’t see much beyond that.

The Steelers are going to need to draft a QB high in 2021 or 2022...the year Ben retires.

Trading Tomlin makes all the sense in the world.

I like what I see out if Joe Burrow so far

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Players can develope and there is no denying that. But if Duck can develope into a better QB then ALSO Rudolf can as well. Rudolf has a Higher caliber athletics and all around game. Duck would have to increase a lot just to get even. I don't see Duck's ceiling be higher than Rudolf"s and taking longer to get to it. Mason Rudolf will start and continue the rest of season unless injury.

NOW we need the rest of our guys healed up.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

Hodges is the duck tape on our QB situation. It doesn't look pretty but it does the job..

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I almost want to see Duck start again with the coaches allowing him to play his style of game however he’s just not good enough or experienced enough under center.

What this season is showing us is none of our back ups are long term solutions. Rudy could be a good back up, but I don’t see much beyond that.

The Steelers are going to need to draft a QB high in 2021 or 2022...the year Ben retires.

Who is Joe Burrow?

She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

I warned about taking a too negative or too positive look at what happens in Hodges first NFL start...

His arm isn’t as strong as Rudolph or Ben, but scouts still rated it as above average and there is room for improvement.
    He absolutely has starter potential, especially how he reads plays, but he was always going to be a two to three year development project.
    Think of him like a guy with lots of upside... next season he should be very close to where Rudolph is now... Rudolph has legitimate potential to replace Ben... you all have to see now that the gameplan is shackling these guys... both have more upside than Dobbs did... frankly our QB position is easily the best it has been in years....

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    Who is Joe Burrow?

Some scrub SEC QB who won't start in the NFL

Who is Joe Burrow?

The flavor of the month for top QB in the draft next year... first name that comes up if you google 2020 draft qbs...

lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

So in your eyes Duck's 9 pass attempts were enough to make him the 2nd coming of Kurt Warner but now he's not good enough after seeing him for a full game? Isn't this why me and many other posters were saying to not judge him after 9 pass attempts but you kept persisting with he's so much better than Mason?

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj1225 View Post
    So in your eyes Duck's 9 pass attempts were enough to make him the 2nd coming of Kurt Warner but now he's not good enough after seeing him for a full game? Isn't this why me and many other posters were saying to not judge him after 9 pass attempts but you kept persisting with he's so much better than Mason?
    Confucius says, “the man who argues with a Rock will never win, no matter how intelligent his argument is....”

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Who is Joe Burrow?

Image r

Joe Burrow
    Football quarterback
    Description
    Joe Burrow is an American football quarterback for the LSU Tigers. Before transferring to LSU, Burrow began his college career at Ohio State. Wikipedia
    Born: Athens, OH
    Current team: LSU Tigers football (#9 / Quarterback)
    Class: Senior
    Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
    Education: The Ohio State University (2015–2017), Athens High School
    Parents: Jim Burrow, Robin Burrow

Someone is projecting top 12 draft pick.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
    Confucius says, “the man who argues with a Rock will never win, no matter how intelligent his argument is....”
    See....I told the ex to never argue with me

Saw an awful lot of the same dump offs and check downs Rudolph throws. Kinda leads me to believe it is the game plan.
    God I hope so, because neither of them are throwing the ball downfield enough to even tempt defenses to be honest. Last game they put up a stat where Mason's passes in the 1st quarter were virtually ALL behind the line of scrimmage, and at one point last night they put up a stat showing Duck's earth-shattering 3.3 yards in the air average per completion.

That simply won't cut it. That's not a QB that's a guy managing forward hand-offs.

Hodges anticipates the throws and lets her rip
    If 3.3 yards in the air is "lettin' her rip", we may want to save the fabric.

Regarding the lack of a downfield game, I will say the fact that Washington is out is a pretty big blow to the downfield game. You can throw it to Horton, but it's simply an exercise in showing the defense you're willing to throw a ball away every now and then to make them turn their heads for a moment.

Mongrief had 1 catch for 11 yards. It wasn't an easy catch, and he did end up trapping it against the ground and the Chargers probably could have challenged that catch along with at least 2 others in the game, but hey - he recorded a catch of more than 2 yards! Building blocks!

And wow... JuJu with 1 catch for 7 yards... Clearly teams have zero respect for the passing game. It would be really really awesome if they come up with a plan to exploit that going forward. Admittedly, I have no faith whatsoever that they'll do that, but I can dream!
    Last edited by wig; 10-14-2019 at 12:10 PM.

One in a row...Let the streak begin

The difference in this game compared to when Rudolph was in? The run game was successful in chewing clock and yards, if Rudolph was starting and the run game was working like that we still win. Rudolph threw those same checkdowns to Conner, there would have been barely any difference with who the QB was as it was the same gameplan they've gone with for weeks (minus the wildcat)