Thread: Snell ready to carry the load again with Conner out

Snell ready to carry the load again with Conner out

James Conner said he will miss his fifth game in the past six with a shoulder injury on Sunday in Arizona, meaning Benny Snell will continue to play a bigger role.
    The post Snell ready to carry the load again with Conner out appeared first on DKPittsburghSports.com.

Full Story

This story is from our friends at DKPittsburghSports.com . Please visit the link above to read the full story. Click Here to subscribe to DK Pittsburgh Sports for a 50% off offer.

He's gonna have to

Steelers’ James Conner will not play vs. Cardinals, hopes to return before season’s end

“Being smart. Just simple as that,” the reigning AFC Pro Bowl running back said after practice Thursday. “Obviously, I am a competitor and I want to be out there. But it’s just I ain’t ready.”

Conner missing Sunday’s game will mean he will have missed five of the Steelers’ past six games

With only three games remaining in the regular season after this week’s game, is there consideration being given to Conner going on season-ending injured reserve?

“I just am literally taking it, honestly, day by day,” Conner said. “So, whatever that may be. I’m not counted out until it’s done, for sure.”

“I don’t want to look too far ahead, because I will take some time,” Conner said moments earlier. “So we will see, hopefully, if I can go out there as soon as possible.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...end-of-season/

Well I know Conner says he is being "smart" by continuing to stay off the field, but he is starting to miss ALOT of football...He is giving an opportunity away to someone with potential to never get his job back if Snell turns up the heat even further.

Bennys new nickname is "Bam-Bam", you heard it here first.....Benny "Bam-Bam" Snell.....
    Last edited by SteveA; 12-06-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
    Well I know Conner says he is being "smart" by continuing to stay off the field, but he is starting to miss ALOT of football....
    What choice does he have? The body only heals so fast and coming back too soon has a high risk of worsening the injury thus elongating the recovery. Which, from what I can see, is precisely what he did the first time.

An example, a few years ago I was playing softball and tore both quads on a wet field. Team was short handed that season so I tried to come back way too soon. First game back, I made one quad worse - a lot worse than the original injury. Had I waited, I probably would have been back for the tourny. Instead, I missed the rest of the spring season, all summer tournaments, and the fall season as well.

I see fans (not you Steve) get upset when players don't "rub some dirt in it and play through it" then the same fans call another guy injury prone when he does that and the injury doesn't heal. Just can't have it both ways. The body only heals so fast no matter how much we want it to go faster.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    What choice does he have? The body only heals so fast and coming back too soon has a high risk of worsening the injury thus elongating the recovery. Which, from what I can see, is precisely what he did the first time.
    I can't call it. But Snell can take that job...Opportunity awaits

B-B-B-Benny and his Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    B-B-B-Benny and his Jets.
    "Bam-Bam"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
    I can't call it. But Snell can take that job...Opportunity awaits
    Don't get me wrong, The old adage "you can't lose your job to injury" is bunk. Of course you can. Has Snell made JC expendable? No, not yet. Snell's running style is going to get him battered as well and JC is a much better receiver and edge runner. Doesn't mean a battle isn't brewing when JC comes back (and there is nothign wrong with healthy competition). All I was saying was that JC (and any injured player for that matter) has to go through the healing cycle. It is just biology.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Don't get me wrong, The old adage "you can't lose your job to injury" is bunk. Of course you can. Has Snell made JC expendable? No, not yet. Snell's running style is going to get him battered as well and JC is a much better receiver and edge runner. Doesn't mean a battle isn't brewing when JC comes back (and there is nothign wrong with healthy competition). All I was saying was that JC (and any injured player for that matter) has to go through the healing cycle. It is just biology.
    True, but this is the 3rd straight year he has missed considerable time due to injury. That makes it 3 out of 3.

Not good. Snell and JaySam can handle the load until next April. Just seems like Conner is non-playing his way off the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    Of course I'm despicable...

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltime View Post
    True, but this is the 3rd straight year he has missed considerable time due to injury. That makes it 3 out of 3.

Not good. Snell and JaySam can handle the load until next April. Just seems like Conner is non-playing his way off the roster.
    He may be non-playing his way off the roster; never said he wasn't. My original statement was that he may not have a choice in the matter but to "play it smart". He is hurt. He isn't a robot that can just plug in a new cogwheel - his body has to heal and that takes time no matter how much he or anyone else wants it otherwise.

I do hope Snell handles it well, but he has a similar running style to JC and Snell did get hurt and miss time already this year. Don't think it can't happen again.

Why aren't we using Samuels who can run and catch more?? Snell big runs came at the very end of game last week for his yardage. Both these runners need to be playing especially since run up the middle seems to be the only call we have

Snell, Yeah!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Steeler Nation mobile app
    I can't figure out - Troglodyte

The Following User Likes This Post:

I would still like to see them both in the backfield

He's pretty much done for the year. Well barring the Steelers making the playoffs. He would basically get to play one game and it will probably get jacked up again.