Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84

Thread: Ben vs. Duck: Can Hodges really take Steelers to Super Bowl?

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    Like who?

    Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Dupree, for one.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    And much like the 2000 Ravens. The 2019 Steelers have a Superbowl caliber defense. So as long as the QB does not turn the ball over, as Dilfer was excellent at ball security, the defense can win a championship for the city of Pittsburgh.

    Will it happen? Who knows. One thing a lot of fans do forget is Dilfer started slinging it in the playoffs. It was out of the norm from feeding Lewis the rock, so they got early leads on the road against much higher ranked teams. Much like the 05' Steelers with a young Ben at QB.


    Steelers donít have the coaching staff to win it all this way.

    The Following 4 Users Like This Post:



  3. #43
    If we had Ben we would not be blowing teams out. Thatís not how this staff thinks. They would get a lead and then try to keep it by playing small ball.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers1356 View Post
    Dupree, for one.
    I don't think Dupree is going anywhere. Hargrave on the other hand...

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDavenport View Post
    The only way Duck takes the Steelers to the Super Bowl is in a bus. Love the guy and what he is doing, but there are too many top tier QBs with solid teams.
    Beginning Sunday. The Bills are playing good football and looking to beat the Steelers to remain in W/C contention. Beating the Bills would certainly do Hodgesís stock a nice bump.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  6. #46
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, PA
    Posts
    19,969
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Well shit, you're right. But do you think Duck can hit these numbers made by Dilfer to win a Superbowl:

    WC 9-14-0-130 1TD
    Div 5-16-0-117 Blocked FG TD, INT TD
    AFCC 9-18-1-190 1TD 3 FGs
    SB 12-25-0-153 1TD INT TD, KR TD 2 FGs

    You think Duck can do this? I think he can better these numbers.
    Like Dilfer's Ravens, it depends on the defense now. The offense has only scored one TD in 5 of the last 6 games.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  7. #47
    Member
    Omar10213245's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    an ethereal, mystical place, where all my fantasies come true
    Posts
    7,446
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
    Hahahaha... trent dilfer took a team to the super bowl and won it, so officially anything is possible... pretty sure most rookie udfas are better than trent Fín dilfer... and I donít just mean rookie qbís...if you put a rookie udfa linebacker at qb you would get similar production to what dilfer gave them that year....
    this is a ridiculous take, people seem to have some sort of absurd recollection about dilfer. he was much better than people want to give him credit for. was he near the top of the league at his position? absolutely not, but he wasn't some 3rd-stringer, either.

  8. #48
    Member
    Omar10213245's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    an ethereal, mystical place, where all my fantasies come true
    Posts
    7,446
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    Baltimore barely threw the ball in those playoffs, the only pass play I remember was the quick slant to Sharpe in the AFC title game at Oakland, that he ended up running for like 94 yards for a TD. In those 4 post season games, I'd be surprised if Dilfer completed a total of 40 passes or even attempted 75 passes combined.
    what about the 38-yard TD pass to Brandon Stokely in the superbowl? or his 44-yarder to qadry ismail in that same game?

  9. #49
    Member Shane Falco's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,764
    Rep Power
    134
    Obviously for an undrafted small school quarterback; Hodges is playing above the neck football. He’s not hurting the team by his play. He’s making the right plays at the right time and managing the game in an efficient manner. It seems as if Fichtner is understanding his capabilities every week. His stats are similar to Rudolph’s in the beginning- but what Hodges is doing with those stats is the difference. By the time we reach the Baltimore game I expect to see more of the playbook opened up. Especially when he gets Smith-Schuster back. He’s developing timing and trust with the others as well.
    It would be nice to see a Super Bowl run. I’m not sure if he can light up the scoreboard against Mahomes. But- the way the Patriots are trending down, and the way the Steelers played Baltimore/Jackson (even though they lost) I think this team has a better chance than Buffalo making it to the Super Bowl

  10. #50
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,189
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    Obviously for an undrafted small school quarterback; Hodges is playing above the neck football. He’s not hurting the team by his play. He’s making the right plays at the right time and managing the game in an efficient manner. It seems as if Fichtner is understanding his capabilities every week. His stats are similar to Rudolph’s in the beginning- but what Hodges is doing with those stats is the difference. By the time we reach the Baltimore game I expect to see more of the playbook opened up. Especially when he gets Smith-Schuster back. He’s developing timing and trust with the others as well.
    It would be nice to see a Super Bowl run. I’m not sure if he can light up the scoreboard against Mahomes. But- the way the Patriots are trending down, and the way the Steelers played Baltimore/Jackson (even though they lost) I think this team has a better chance than Buffalo making it to the Super Bowl
    Wouldn't an SB run be awesome? I'm not counting my chickens for or against anything right now since we are basically on house money. 2 months ago we were counted down and out but a lot of guys stepped up and righted the ship. Things could have easily gone the other way. I am just enjoying the season week to week now - no super high expectations of championships; no fear of losing. Its kinda liberating actually. Just watch and enjoy.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtwnvin View Post
    Beginning Sunday. The Bills are playing good football and looking to beat the Steelers to remain in W/C contention. Beating the Bills would certainly do Hodgesís stock a nice bump.
    This. So far Fitchner has been unwilling to allow Duck to throw the ball down the field consistently. Lots of run, run, pass on 3rd down. We don't know enough about Duck, but I don't see the current offensive gameplan being good enough to get us any W's in the playoffs.

    What I recall about Ben's 1st year is we saw flashes of him making some big plays down the field within a conservative gameplan, I haven't seen nearly as much of that trust from the coaches with Duck

    Eventually Duck will half to drop back and throw when the D knows it's coming, then we'll see...

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers1356 View Post
    Dupree, for one.
    They can tag him, Ben's contract won't stop that.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar10213245 View Post
    what about the 38-yard TD pass to Brandon Stokely in the superbowl? or his 44-yarder to qadry ismail in that same game?
    I do remember that pass to Stokely now that you mention it, it was down the right sideline. The point I was making is they didn't suddenly start throwing it 25 times per game, once they got in the playoffs, Dilfer averaged like 9.5 completions per game in the post season.
    It was also alot easier to play defense then too. Our defense is very good but they aren't going to keep playoff teams from scoring like that Ravens team did. We'll need our offense to produce

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  14. #54
    Member
    Omar10213245's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    an ethereal, mystical place, where all my fantasies come true
    Posts
    7,446
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    I do remember that pass to Stokely now that you mention it, it was down the right sideline. The point I was making is they didn't suddenly start throwing it 25 times per game, once they got in the playoffs, Dilfer averaged like 9.5 completions per game in the post season.
    It was also alot easier to play defense then too. Our defense is very good but they aren't going to keep playoff teams from scoring like that Ravens team did. We'll need our offense to produce
    Agreed

  15. #55
    Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
    Cope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Section 228
    Posts
    13,878
    Rep Power
    356
    Dilfer's strength was he didn't fumble or throw INTs. They relied on Stover's leg to win games. Our kicker is better than Stover.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  16. #56
    Member Shane Falco's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,764
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Dilfer's strength was he didn't fumble or throw INTs. They relied on Stover's leg to win games. Our kicker is better than Stover.
    Exactly. If Hodges continues to properly manage the game. With this defense and better special teams play- they have a shot in my opinion.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Only Steelers fans would want to cut a future all of fame QB with two SB rings for a UDFA that couldn't beat out Mason Rudolph.
    WTF? When a player is sitting on the bench watching the other guy take the field with the starting unit for the third straight game, that player most certainly has been beaten out of a job.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  18. #58
    US Veteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marietta, OH
    Posts
    4,741
    Rep Power
    0
    Fiectner get shit on a lot in the forums here. The fact we are winning with a udfa 3 Rd string rookie QB, an ZERO run game to speak of, and a buncha rookies and practice squad receivers,,,. Says he is doing a great job. But no , the way we run right now , I don't think we go anything past a wild card birth.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    Baltimore barely threw the ball in those playoffs, the only pass play I remember was the quick slant to Sharpe in the AFC title game at Oakland, that he ended up running for like 94 yards for a TD. In those 4 post season games, I'd be surprised if Dilfer completed a total of 40 passes or even attempted 75 passes combined.
    Nice comment because he was pretty horrible. 35-73-590-3-1. The only thing mind boggling was his completion avg was over 16 yds. I cannot imagine a QB playing like this (again) and leading a team to a championship. Unicorn
    Last edited by Steelerz99; 12-11-2019 at 01:02 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    WTF? When a player is sitting on the bench watching the other guy take the field with the starting unit for the third straight game, that player most certainly has been beaten out of a job.
    Nuance isn't really your thing is it? You see, Mason Rudolph beat him out. Mason was the #2 to start the season, and Duck was on the practice squad. Had Mason not nearly lost everything from the neck up against Baltimore, Duck would still be on the bench. Mason melted down two games in a row. Any coach worth his salt would have made a change. Shit isn't hard.


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •