Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QB Coach Named

QB Coach Named

https://www.steelers.com/news/canada-named-qb-coach

Well, hopefully this helps our young qb's.

Joe

The Following User Likes This Post:

Very good hire!

Not sure how willing Ben will be to being coached after 15 years in the league. As far as the backups, Rudolph may be able to improve but not sure Hodges has the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ExUSAF View Post
    Not sure how willing Ben will be to being coached after 15 years in the league. As far as the backups, Rudolph may be able to improve but not sure Hodges has the tools.
    Although I can't say that I know exactly all the duties of a QB coach, I can only assume as far as Ben goes it would be more of a "let me tell you what I saw on this play" kinda thing?
    I mean at this stage I would think as far as mechanics and what Ben does is pretty much set.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Although I can't say that I know exactly all the duties of a QB coach, I can only assume as far as Ben goes it would be more of a "let me tell you what I saw on this play" kinda thing?
    I mean at this stage I would think as far as mechanics and what Ben does is pretty much set.
    Who can say for sure when it involves Ben's throwing arm....Hopefully he doesn't have to alter his throwing mechanics to continue to play...

Hopefully .... AIR CANADA .... will be flying high south of the border
    Last edited by Paul G; 01-15-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    I doubt Canada even deals with ben outside of qb meetings... he is there for the young guys plain and simple

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Great. Some college guy who was out of work. God forbid we hire someone more competent than Tomlin.

The Steelers just hired Fichtner's successor. He'll come in and improve the offence right away. As far as him developing Rudolf or Duck, it isn't going to happen. Canada can't perform miracles.

Blog Entries
    It’s a start right?

Quote Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
    I doubt Canada even deals with ben outside of qb meetings... he is there for the young guys plain and simple
    Couldn't agree more. Hopefully he helps fichtner to disguise the play call better, I mean anything could be an improvement

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
    Maybe Ben can coach him up.

the only way Devlin can survive is bet more accurate and needs a dink n dunk offence as that pass to james I think he threw from 35 to end zone is the deepest he can probably throw.

I think this hire may be entertaining at the very least....

It’s not about plays,” Canada said. “It’s about players. Our system is very easy to learn. We find a way to teach it and they believe it and we want them to learn it as fast as they can. I don’t get any points for saying two years from now, you’re really going to understand this offense. That doesn’t matter. We’re going to win right now. That’s why we’re here.”
    Canada is arguably best known for his pre-snap motion. Few offensive coordinators get as creative before the snap than him. Shifts, trades, jets, orbits, he’s been committed to stressing defenses. Overloading and creating the numbers game if the defense doesn’t respond, creating extra gaps to run through, or just putting defenders on the move and forcing them to switch and keep their run fits without anytime to communicate.

Nice video from 2017 which shows this.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/fi...elers-offense/

Quote Originally Posted by SteelChip View Post

Canada is arguably best known for his pre-snap motion. Few offensive coordinators get as creative before the snap than him. Shifts, trades, jets, orbits, he’s been committed to stressing defenses. Overloading and creating the numbers game if the defense doesn’t respond, creating extra gaps to run through, or just putting defenders on the move and forcing them to switch and keep their run fits without anytime to communicate.

nothing new with the concept of pre-snap motions to get the defense to adjust and show their coverage hand, but that is indeed a lot of presnap movement shown in the video. I doubt that will have quite the same impact in the Pro's as college, but that may not even be a useful conversation as I am not convinced he is being brought to change the offense as much as teach MR. Time will tell I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    nothing new with the concept of pre-snap motions to get the defense to adjust and show their coverage hand, but that is indeed a lot of presnap movement shown in the video. I doubt that will have quite the same impact in the Pro's as college, but that may not even be a useful conversation as I am not convinced he is being brought to change the offense as much as teach MR. Time will tell I guess.
    I agree, as a QB coach he will have little to do with the game plan and play selection but he may have some influence as time goes by. I'm not sold on our OC and welcome any new ideas to get the offense more creative and unpredictable.

Like Alex says in the article.

Final Thoughts

Just in general, bringing someone in to be dedicated to those guys is important. Rudolph in particular. The team drafted him with the hope of being the franchise and not having a QB coach is a disservice to that investment and his development. But they have seemed to get a bright mind in Canada who hey, if things go well, two years from now, may become the Steelers’ OC. Just saying.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

I'm not sold on our OC and welcome any new ideas to get the offense more creative and unpredictable.
    I am not at all sold on RF ether. Goodness knows, the team could use some fresh perspective. I just hope that MT, RF, and BB are receptive.

Holy crap. That involves a lot of scheming. It makes our offensive schemes look very underwhelming. I have a good feeling about this but I've never even seen the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Anything that could improve the current predictability of our Offense is very welcome, even if he is not setting the world on fire or discovering the wheel, just being better than a guy that every fucking time in 1st down puts holton as the single WR, 2 TEs and 1 tackle eligible (banner), then sends holton on a vertical route that No One buys while another run for 2 yards occurs...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin View Post
    Holy crap. That involves a lot of scheming. It makes our offensive schemes look very underwhelming. I have a good feeling about this but I've never even seen the guy.
    Granted it was college, but his one year at Pitt when they were loaded with talent, it was one of the most exciting offenses I ever watched. The Steelers don't need to go all in on this scheme, instead they need to use some elements from it and integrate it into what they already do.

Quote Originally Posted by Litos View Post
    Anything that could improve the current predictability of our Offense is very welcome,
    agreed, but will the old guard incorporate new ideas or will they continue to live in what they do.