Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: There goes one pontential 2nd round pick for the us.

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    I would replace SS with RB but yeah.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Can't see them going defense besides NT this year.

RB is a concern but I think OL, TE and WR are much bigger immediate concerns

If they want to win now, RB has shown they can step right in the quickest and make an impact.
    If Ben is healthy, I think we are ok at WR. No matter who the QB is they need a TE, would be nice to be able to get one in Free Agency. TE's don't usually just step in and produce as rookies.

Huge Member

if we go TE, it'll be Moss in the 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
    100% agree on this. Rather go OG than OT but we will see what they do with Feiler as it seems Foster is going to be a cap casualty
    I just can't see a team with just one pick in the top 96 using that pick on an interior offensive lineman. Not saying that the need is not there, but the team just does not have the draft resources to go OG with pick 49. Steelers have a 3rd round comp pick, two picks in round 4, and two picks in round 5 - they can use those picks to improve the interior line.

Steelers need a lot of help on offense. They need a genuine RB, a TE, an OT, and a G. They can roll with the defense after they tag Bud, who turned from Dud Durpee into Bud the Stud with his 2019 performance (68 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 3 passes defensed).
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    Of course I'm despicable...

The Following User Likes This Post:

One pick in the 5th. The extra one was used on Vannett.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltime View Post
    I just can't see a team with just one pick in the top 96 using that pick on an interior offensive lineman. Not saying that the need is not there, but the team just does not have the draft resources to go OG with pick 49. Steelers have a 3rd round comp pick, two picks in round 4, and two picks in round 5 - they can use those picks to improve the interior line.

Steelers need a lot of help on offense. They need a genuine RB, a TE, an OT, and a G. They can roll with the defense after they tag Bud, who turned from Dud Durpee into Bud the Stud with his 2019 performance (68 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 3 passes defensed).
    This is the one position in the draft where we have really excelled. If they see Feiler as a long term answer at LG then you roll the dice and don't address the position this year. Pouncey is also looking at becoming a cap casualty after this season. $5M in cap savings to cut him in 21'. We saw his play slip noticeably this year. I wouldn't be offering him a 3rd deal. So the interior line does need to be addressed sooner than later.

TE is a position we have had really bad signings at, LaDarius Green and then the trade for McDonald have not offset the loss of Heath. The TE position has really advanced beyond a guy who can just run/pass block or a pure pass catcher. You have two teams with elite TEs in the Super Bowl this year. Its a huge position need for us to fill.

To me TE is the most glaring weakness of our offense. RB is a position we definitely need to upgrade as I can't view Conner as a long term answer given his injury history. They just spent a 4th on Snell. Not sure if they want to dip back in to get another back early but there is absolute value in drafting RBs in the first several rounds of the draft beyond round 1.

If we go WR I would be surprised, our WRs started to come together save for the Juju injury that put a damper on his season.

On defense I only see a need at NT. Barron is replaced by Bush and then you can start looking for depth behind Watt/Bud and also someone behind Vince Williams late in the draft.

This is the one position in the draft where we have really excelled. If they see Feiler as a long term answer at LG then you roll the dice and don't address the position this year. Pouncey is also looking at becoming a cap casualty after this season. $5M in cap savings to cut him in 21'. We saw his play slip noticeably this year. I wouldn't be offering him a 3rd deal. So the interior line does need to be addressed sooner than later.
    I see it that way too. But teams can get quality interior offensive lineman in the 3rd and 4th. The line should be upgraded, but just don't have the resources to do it in the 2020 draft.

TE is a position we have had really bad signings at, LaDarius Green and then the trade for McDonald have not offset the loss of Heath. The TE position has really advanced beyond a guy who can just run/pass block or a pure pass catcher. You have two teams with elite TEs in the Super Bowl this year. Its a huge position need for us to fill.

To me TE is the most glaring weakness of our offense. RB is a position we definitely need to upgrade as I can't view Conner as a long term answer given his injury history. They just spent a 4th on Snell. Not sure if they want to dip back in to get another back early but there is absolute value in drafting RBs in the first several rounds of the draft beyond round 1.
    TE is a huge need, in large part due to the frequency that the Steelers go two TE's. Some draft sites link the Steelers to ND tight end Cole Kmet. He could very well be there at the end of the 3rd. The combine could change that, of course. The issue with Kmet, as far as I can tell, is his poor blocking. But if McDonald is healthy, he and Kmet would fill the TE role just fine.

RB is a position we definitely need to upgrade as I can't view Conner as a long term answer given his injury history. They just spent a 4th on Snell. Not sure if they want to dip back in to get another back early but there is absolute value in drafting RBs in the first several rounds of the draft beyond round 1.
    Steelers currently entrust the running game to a 3rd rounder, a 4th rounder, and a 5th rounder. A 2nd round pick would be an upgrade and some possibilities at pick 49 would include Chuba Hubbard. Looks like a very good one-cut back, not a great receiver right now but most college RB's need to work on pass receiving. If a college RB is quick, effective, good vision, good open field runner, AND can catch the ball, he is not going to last until pick 49. I also think Kylin Hill of Mississippi State is going to be a good back and will probably be there at the end of the 3rd.

So the Steelers can go Hubbard in the 2nd, Kmet in the 3rd, and OG in the 4th. Put Ben back at QB, and with DJ a year better, Juju healthy again, I think the offense can do the job.

So the Steelers can go Hubbard in the 2nd, Kmet in the 3rd, and OG in the 4th.
    Without applying actual names, I agree with this position strategy and hope the talent pool/value falls this way for the team. I would also be fine if you flipped the RB and TE rounds if the board falls that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Without applying actual names, I agree with this position strategy and hope the talent pool/value falls this way for the team. I would also be fine if you flipped the RB and TE rounds if the board falls that way.
    Yep, I thought about that as well but agree with Hines that the need at RB is paramount. I think the Steelers can get a starting RB, a dude who can carry it 20 times per game and catch 50 passes, in the middle of the 2nd. Some RB's picked around 40 to 70 include Sanders, Singletary last year, Dalvin Cook and Kamara 2017, Derrick Henry 2016, Carlos Hyde 2014, and ... Dri Archer 2014.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Yep, I thought about that as well but agree with Hines that the need at RB is paramount. I think the Steelers can get a starting RB, a dude who can carry it 20 times per game and catch 50 passes, in the middle of the 2nd. Some RB's picked around 40 to 70 include Sanders, Singletary last year, Dalvin Cook and Kamara 2017, Derrick Henry 2016, Carlos Hyde 2014, and ... Dri Archer 2014.
    agree that RB in the second is ideal. Given a couple of high prospects going back to college, it just may not fall that way and I wouldn't try to force it. If the guy isn't there, he isn't there...next priority would be TE.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I don't like Moss as much as some. He is not a good blocker, does not strike me as a guy who wants to be a good blocker, and looks like a slot guy or a TE that splits out a lot. Steelers need to get a TE who can block.

A 2nd round pick would be an upgrade and some possibilities at pick 49 would include Chuba Hubbard.
    Hubbard is returning to school. With Hubbard, Entienne, and Harris all returning to school, RB could be a reach in the second unless Dobbins or Taylor fall.

It really depends on the players, but I think you want to put more emphasis on getting the higher quality TE if he's there. RBs are a dime a dozen in this league. We see guys step up off the bench all the time and shine. But since we are not FO, they will assuredly go draft something else probably. HA

Quote Originally Posted by Scott109 View Post
    Hubbard is returning to school. With Hubbard, Entienne, and Harris all returning to school, RB could be a reach in the second unless Dobbins or Taylor fall.
    So he should be there at 49!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Moss is overrated. Show me where he blocks.
    He isn't dynamic enough to warrant a 2nd round selection for me.

I believe we have zero picks in the 5th. One went for Vannett, other went to Miami in exchange for a 4th in Minkah trade.

Quote Originally Posted by kev4heels View Post
    Moss is overrated. Show me where he blocks.
    He isn't dynamic enough to warrant a 2nd round selection for me.
    And is missing two years of stats. No way do I want him in 2.
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

US Veteran

Is there a tight end out there we can draft who can start RIGHT NOW? Blocking and receiving? Otherwise I say get a free agent vet, along with keeping Mcdonald.

Tight end is a luxury position for this team.

They have 2 second rounders and a third rounder at wide receiver, so I doubt they take another in the second. If healthy, the duo of Conner and Snell isn't too bad.

You fix the offensive line and get some guys who can run block, a lot of the skill position problems will go away very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
    Tight end is a luxury position for this team.

They have 2 second rounders and a third rounder at wide receiver, so I doubt they take another in the second. If healthy, the duo of Conner and Snell isn't too bad.

You fix the offensive line and get some guys who can run block, a lot of the skill position problems will go away very quickly.
    I think upgrading Foster would be a big step in the right direction.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast