Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid (Steelers QB Related)

Quote Originally Posted by Drink IRON City View Post
    One more thing which I think is pretty big.......................... Will Sherman be replaced????? He hasn't been relevant in quit some time with other teams and our WRs looked pedestrian as a group. Yes bright spots but still overall step backed. Sherman was a stop gap and let's get a move on happening with a new WR coach.

Salute the nation
    Wish we would consider Hines for this position. Hed bring an element of toughness to that young group.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Just when you thought I was done! I'll be feasting on the NFL come 2020.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

I'm all for Mason improving. We have been spoiled. Right now, I can't honestly say if Rudolph's issues were due to his being tentative, or due to a very restrictive game plan.

Over time, I suspect we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Rooney: Steelers standing pat at QB heading into 2020

https://sports.yahoo.com/rooney-stee...212747346.html

I think this is stupid. No one knows what Ben's elbow is gonna do until he heats it up and start throwing. Until the Steelers know for sure, and FA worth his salt is going to be on a team. He could throw one pass and realize it isn't going to work out. Then we are left with Rudolph and Duck. Again.
    right. nobody knows. So what do you want them to do? Run out and sign a Free Agent right now? Well, they can't since FA doesn't open until the beginning of March. If the plan is to chase a FA, do you think it would be to wise to state their intentions to the public? Of course not. Rooney is doing exactly what executives do, answering questions and not telling us anything about the internal process. I have no doubt that they have weighed options and associated risks and have contingency plans in place. But, until the next MRI on Ben's elbow, until the next 6 weeks of rehab unfold, there is no reason to do or say anything other than "we support Ben."

Now, consider the alternative...in order to sign a veteran QB, there will have to be a lot of other moves made to make cap space. So, forget Bud, Hargrave, and any other of our own FA's. Forget getting other team's FA's. Even then, you aren't getting an elite QB.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

I've been looking back at Ben's stats for his first 2-3 years. Despite the win percentage his stats were very Mason like. Any one stating that he was soooooo much better starting out than Mason is only considering wins and not completion percentage. Dont get me wrong Ben was our guy but had growth issues himself.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin View Post
    I've been looking back at Ben's stats for his first 2-3 years. Despite the win percentage his stats were very Mason like. Any one stating that he was soooooo much better starting out than Mason is only considering wins and not completion percentage. Dont get me wrong Ben was our guy but had growth issues himself.
    Not this again. Just looking at raw stats with no context means nothing.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by steelhurt View Post
    Wish we would consider Hines for this position. He’d bring an element of toughness to that young group.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I fully agree but didn't he just sign a contract with NY Jets?

Salute the nnation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

Look at their cap situation. Did you honestly believe they would significantly upgrade at this position? How much would that cost. Now if it turns out Ben can't play next year, he will likely retire at which point they will do what they can. If that is going to happen, hopefully sooner than later. But there was no way they were going to make a move on a big name soon. Even if they had to, I'm not sure they could afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin View Post

WATCHING those early games one would see that they passed, got the lead and then Cowher balled them. Cowher didn't get that 100+ TO 1 loss ratio by passing. BEN was so efficient that he needed only 12-20 passes a game for the win.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

None of the QB's out there that have been mentioned on this forum would be affordable for the Steelers. I guess they could let Bud and the others walk so they can sign a back up QB for 10 to 15 million. But, we all know that ain't happening.

My guess is Lynch will be working real hard this offseason and make a serious run (if given the opportunity) at making the team as, at worst, the No. 3 QB. Also, keep in mind, the Steelers (with Ben healthy) have gone with only 2 QB's on the roster in recent years. This year, even if Ben is healthy, I think they have to keep 3 on the roster.

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Not this again. Just looking at raw stats with no context means nothing.
    True, Ben had a top running game to go with a great defense. Rudolph only had a great defense with a one dimensional offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Drink IRON City View Post
    I fully agree but didn't he just sign a contract with NY Jets?

Salute the nnation
    its the NFL those contracts mean nada...he was being interviewed for the Eagles WR job...no reason we cant do the same

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TDX27 View Post
    None of the QB's out there that have been mentioned on this forum would be affordable for the Steelers. I guess they could let Bud and the others walk so they can sign a back up QB for 10 to 15 million. But, we all know that ain't happening.

My guess is Lynch will be working real hard this offseason and make a serious run (if given the opportunity) at making the team as, at worst, the No. 3 QB. Also, keep in mind, the Steelers (with Ben healthy) have gone with only 2 QB's on the roster in recent years. This year, even if Ben is healthy, I think they have to keep 3 on the roster.
    A lot of assuming there. I hear the same old tired debate every free agent thread. And I am sure there will be more posters bringing it up yet again.

They can make room for Bud and a backup QB, and still bring in a G or T. They have had off-seasons with little room and managed to sign a plethora of their own and still bring in notable free agents.

They know how to manipulate the cap.

One of the more annoying conversations from fans...
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

It’s obvious the plan is to win 2-3 games next year if Ben can’t return..
    This will allow us to draft our next franchise QB out if Clemson ..

Quote Originally Posted by steel dino View Post
    It’s obvious the plan is to win 2-3 games next year if Ben can’t return..
    This will allow us to draft our next franchise QB out if Clemson ..
    All kidding aside if it goes bad, I really hope they don't do shit to try to save the 8-8 mark again. Tank and get your prospect.

The big question will be if Tua drops into 2nd rd, do we take him?

US Veteran

I think Tua Might be a pipedream.

Steelers have $1.4 M in 2020 cap space, we cant buy a bag of donuts

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Sounds like an echo chamber in here...

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TDX27 View Post

This is it. They aren't going to spend cap dollars on a backup when they have limited space to work with. Plus, they still have faith in Rudolph to develop into something.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I don't think anyone should be taking Tua until they get full medicals and see him up and moving. People worried about Ben's elbow...that hip may be a lot more significant. Problem is, I'm not sure he will be able to workout before the draft. I haven't kept up with his prognosis - anyone know?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast