Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers have the Most Underrated Player in the NFL

Steelers have the Most Underrated Player in the NFL

By Logan Leslie SteelerNation.com Over the last season, the analysts have raved about so many corners such as Stephon Gilmore, Tre White, Jaylen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore to name a few. What if I told you, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a guy in that tier of players? Well they do. His name is Steven Nelson. […]

More...

Yeah Nelson deserved a pro bowl nod he was a fantastic pickup for the Steelers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Nation View Post
    By Logan Leslie SteelerNation.com Over the last season, the analysts have raved about so many corners such as Stephon Gilmore, Tre White, Jaylen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore to name a few. What if I told you, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a guy in that tier of players? Well they do. His name is Steven Nelson. […]

More...
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

The Following User Likes This Post:

I remember people here making wisecracks about him during the season like he was getting beaten all the time or something. I couldn't figure out what they were seeing. I'm like......you don't hear his name during the game......ever. For a CB that is a fantastic thing. During the latter half of the season I saw the CB metrics rankings for the league and Nelson was ranked top 10 in the NFL.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Nelson was a great FA signing, probably the best next to Haden in the last ten years. And the price was friendly too at 7,5 avg, you don't get a #1 CB with less than 10M and Nelson could be a #1 in many teams.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Many Chiefs fans told me he sucks, gave up to many big plays. I defended by saying he needs a change of atmospher, a winning culture...................... For what ever that was worth.............

JUST real glad we got him !

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Yep - said it all year that he was under appreciated by fans. Guy played well this year.

In the space of a couple of years and primarily due to the FA signings of Haden and Nelson as well as the trade for Minkah - our secondary went from one of the worst in the league to a team strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Yep - said it all year that he was under appreciated by fans. Guy played well this year.
    And like has been said, when I watched the games that showed the metrics (PFF mind you), he was at the top. It's hard to follow CB play from a regular television screen, but when you rarely hear the guy's name called you know it's a good thing.
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"Ridicule is man's most potent weapon” - Saul Alinsky

"Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving" - David Burge

The Following 6 Users Like This Post:

Blog Entries
    Yeah. I like Nelson. Dude is a baller.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth View Post
    And like has been said, when I watched the games that showed the metrics (PFF mind you), he was at the top. It's hard to follow CB play from a regular television screen, but when you rarely hear the guy's name called you know it's a good thing.
    PFF is trash. Their grading system is based on what the evaluator feels is the best result a player gives on any single play called. They don’t know what the actual coach who called the play was attempting, or why the play was selected. Purely subjective analysis, no objective reasoning. Chris Carter has already blown PFF apart about using the actual player identified by a ref on a penalty in their statistical analysis. When 25% of players are miss identified by the officiating crew.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    PFF is trash. Their grading system is based on what the evaluator feels is the best result a player gives on any single play called. They don’t know what the actual coach who called the play was attempting, or why the play was selected. Purely subjective analysis, no objective reasoning. Chris Carter has already blown PFF apart about using the actual player identified by a ref on a penalty in their statistical analysis. When 25% of players are miss identified by the officiating crew.
    It's not entirely trash, but we certainly see games where a player is completely dominant and gets like a 70 grade. They also have guys they love and hate (Pouncey).

Nelson was a very good signing. In a what it's like when they signed Farrior. There's a guy who didn't necessarily put up huge numbers with his former team and when he got to the Steelers, they helped elevate his game.

I cant remember being this excited for a season to start. 2020 will be a great year! defense will be great!

Steelers have the Most Underrated Player in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
    It's not entirely trash, but we certainly see games where a player is completely dominant and gets like a 70 grade. They also have guys they love and hate (Pouncey).

Nelson was a very good signing. In a what it's like when they signed Farrior. There's a guy who didn't necessarily put up huge numbers with his former team and when he got to the Steelers, they helped elevate his game.
    No disrespect to you Fan448. But know this, Some PFF analysts are not SMEs on football. They are SMEs on analytics and some on predictive analysis. There are some analysts who have football backgrounds of no more than the average or casual fan. No game, coaching, or administrative level experience of any kind (even at a scholastic level). The precedent of their “ratings” are proprietary analysis of what they view as the correct action from a player on any given playcall. Something that cannot be measured unless they know the plays being called on offense or formations being communicated on defense in real time. So unless they are splicing into Belichick’s network with Ernie, they are just guessing like the rest of us evaluators.

The only reason PFF has visibility (via NBCSports as a sponsor and live screen graphics) is because one of its primary investors was Chris Collingsworth, an employee of NBC who pitched the sports analytics based company as a rival to STATS Inc. This provided NBC Sports its own “reputable” statistical/predicated analysis group independent of the older more accredited independent ones.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

Yep, he was great, his thrown at/ catches allowed numbers/ yards when thrown at, etc. were better than Gilmores. This is why I've been including him in the talks about contracts that we're going to have to give out in the next couple years making it tough to get Dupree long term.
    Cam and JuJu this offseason
    Watt and Nelson next offseason
    Minkah the season after that.

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZ View Post
    I cant remember being this excited for a season to start. 2020 will be a great year! defense will be great!
    I like the optimistic thought process but for me I need to see a better off-season this year.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

What happens is a guy doesn't produce a whole lot of splash plays. But sometimes its what you don't see is what matters. I coach DB's. We always talk about order of importance: Cover, tackle, turnover. 1 and 2 are way more important.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSask View Post
    What happens is a guy doesn't produce a whole lot of splash plays. But sometimes its what you don't see is what matters. I coach DB's. We always talk about order of importance: Cover, tackle, turnover. 1 and 2 are way more important.
    Nelson is a big reason why Haden had 17 passes defensed and 5 INT's, teams didn't want to throw at Nelson.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Nelson was damn good in 2019. Damn good, as was the rest of the defense. The 2019 Steelers defense was very, very good and only the horrible offense kept the team out of the playoffs.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...-passer-rating

In terms of passer rating surrendered, the Steelers ranked 3rd, behind only the Cheatriots and Baltisore. Of the top 7 teams ranked, only one - the Steelers - failed to make the 2019 postseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    Of course I'm despicable...

They were very good and clearly it was the offense and lack of Ben. however, they did have a couple hiccup games like in SF where the offense scored long TD's only to have the defense give up one right away. They were half the Jets game too. They shouldn't have gave up a point in that one. They were unable to seize momentum in some key moments. They were very good, but need to get better and probably a different coaching philosophy to reach full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    No disrespect to you Fan448. But know this, Some PFF analysts are not SMEs on football. They are SMEs on analytics and some on predictive analysis. There are some analysts who have football backgrounds of no more than the average or casual fan. No game, coaching, or administrative level experience of any kind (even at a scholastic level). The precedent of their “ratings” are proprietary analysis of what they view as the correct action from a player on any given playcall. Something that cannot be measured unless they know the plays being called on offense or formations being communicated on defense in real time. So unless they are splicing into Belichick’s network with Ernie, they are just guessing like the rest of us evaluators.
    None taken. It's not my favorite site, but why I said they aren't entirely trash is because they actually watch the games. There are a lot out there not watching games, evaluating players and voting on awards.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast