Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents

Free Agents

Aside from the fact that we have little to no money to spend, there are very few good receivers or backs available in free agency. I assume we won’t make any big acquisitions but who can we get on the cheap that could help the team?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following User Likes This Post:

Robbie Anderson / Jets and to a lesser degree Breshad Perriman might be two vets worthy of a look.

I am pretty high on Anderson being a solid addition.............
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

It's been proven you don't need a HIGH draft pick or TOP 15 in pay to have a TOP RB on the roster. OUR current stable can get us through and in good shape. OUR offensive coordinator is who needs an upgrade or at least a OC class 101. There is no way we should be telegraphing our plays by who the personal is on the field. I realize part of that was due to QB play but to a degree, the QBs had their hands cuffed and yes.......... The OC was involved.

I'm thinking BEN masks most of that aspect5 but if by chance we have to rely on a BACK UP QB, then I hope like hell Randy takes off the training wheels.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

trade our comp pick to the Jets for LB it would be a great move. we get LB back at a cheaper amount that we offered him for the compensation we received for him. then go BPA in 2nd round

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    Robbie Anderson / Jets and to a lesser degree Breshad Perriman might be two vets worthy of a look.

I am pretty high on Anderson being a solid addition.............
    Anderson would be a good signing imo. Can stretch the field and was in the never ending carousel of bad qb’s with the Jets.

I dont think there is any way they're going to be able to afford Robbie Andersob, would be a great addition if they were able to pull it off though!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Our current RB's can do fine. Last year our O-line didn't block well for the running game over 75% of the time. And, teams were stacking the box with 8 or 9 guys all of the time because we had little to no threat of a passing game. Why people don't realize that is baffling. Everyone wants to blame the RB's. Sure, we can go after a true No. 1 RB that might command $15 million per year but as most teams in this league have proven, you don't need one to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    I dont think there is any way they're going to be able to afford Robbie Andersob, would be a great addition if they were able to pull it off though!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    The ol posturing man - we can't afford this or that flies in yet again. Push its cape out of the way for a second. One there is higher valued WRs on the market so his price won't need to be pushed up. Two the Steelers can manipulate their cap in a variety of ways to be active in free agency for mid tier players. Can't afford man can now resume his regular scheduled posturing.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

Quote Originally Posted by TDX27 View Post
    Our current RB's can do fine. Last year our O-line didn't block well for the running game over 75% of the time. And, teams were stacking the box with 8 or 9 guys all of the time because we had little to no threat of a passing game. Why people don't realize that is baffling. Everyone wants to blame the RB's. Sure, we can go after a true No. 1 RB that might command $15 million per year but as most teams in this league have proven, you don't need one to win.

Don't forget the OC had a big hand in the "stacking the box" due to his plays VS Personel. Telegraphed to a point I was more than 60% right so a paid professional "D" player would have been 75%+ correct. Think about that while eating ____________ (insert option)

Salute the nation

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZ View Post
    trade our comp pick to the Jets for LB it would be a great move. we get LB back at a cheaper amount that we offered him for the compensation we received for him. then go BPA in 2nd round

My first responder advice to you would be BACON. TWICE a day. FOR 15 days.

Salute the nation

I think you're forgetting one thing, BEN. Is he coming back and for how long. Randy needs to sit a spell or be gone. He's not ready yet, maybe one day, maybe. There is money to be free up, but not enough to get the skillz levels we need. I think we will do fine this year with minor additions, and a few players stepping up and in.

BLK305

Man I havent thought about Ben not coming back or retiring let's start a thread.

NT Phil Dawson
    Sheldon Day
    Carl Davis
    Poe
    Robinson
    Ellis
    Billings

there is no way Hargrave can be kept and he is a liability vs the run 1 of these guys can easily fill his spoit in the base 3-4 and easily spell when tuitt or cam need a few breathers in the 2-4-5 or 3-2-6 and at what the markrt is dictating his value
    Last edited by F83; 02-15-2020 at 11:29 AM.

I look at Colbert's moves past few seasons, including trades and FA signings, and it does give me optimism he can pull off another sly move or two, our salary cap issues notwithstanding. Bringing in the likes of Joe Haden, Steve Nelson, Vance McDonald, Tyson Alualu and to a lesser extent Mark Barron shows our FO's prowess. Not to speak of the once in a decade, bombshell moves of trading for Minkah and moving up to draft Devin Bush. Sure, Moncrief was a wash, but you can't hit on 100% of the moves.

So yeah, I'm real excited about what goes down next few weeks, then March for FA's and April with the draft. Colbert, Tomlin and the Rooneys have some big decisions ahead as far as signing some of our own, which will then define what happens next. This is my favorite time of the year - besides when we're on the field, of course. Looking forward to seeing what Colbert can pull out of his hat.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

could it help us if we cut vance and and if we dont like the other TE in the market sign him back to like a 1 yr 2 mill deal? how would that work with the 8 mill we are supposed to save vs the cap by cutting him

Quote Originally Posted by F83 View Post
    could it help us if we cut vance and and if we dont like the other TE in the market sign him back to like a 1 yr 2 mill deal? how would that work with the 8 mill we are supposed to save vs the cap by cutting him
    Cut him and it is likely he has a new home come the regular season.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

Quote Originally Posted by TDX27 View Post
    Not any of our backs strikes fear into an opponent, to sit on our hands here is ludicrous...

Can't rely on Conner guys. Better be looking at talent at the RB position....

We all know they have very limited resources in terms of cap space. I'm going to operate under what I believe they think. Not what I think. Though highly speculative, I think it is more relevant. Furthermore, it seems to me for the past several years they have been operating on a plug and play model as opposed to previous years where they anticipated about a year or two ahead in certainly their draft strategy. I don't believe they feel they have a huge need at running back. I'm not saying they will not add, but I don't believe they feel it is a priority. Working under the model of Bud staying and Hargrave leaving, they probably will add an interior defensive lineman. Because this is a highly rotated position, and they have Alualu under contract, I don't anticipate them using big capital.
    Breaking down the other positions:
    Oline- I could see them drafting, but not FA
    Receivers- I don't see big moves. I'm sure they like their top three. They will certainly add competition to the mix for the bottom end, but it won't be splashy.
    LB- They are not bringing anything but depth here. They may part with Chickiloo, but I doubt it. They can create cap room (and holes) by getting rid of Barron, but you are just paying someone else. Vince costs as much to cut as he does to keep. What I could really expect is if they Franchise Bud they may draft an OLB high or tweener rush end as insurance and situational backup.
    Secondary- No major moves required. Starter are all in place.
    QB's - Unless Ben cannot play, it is what it is. Move to improve backup would be expensive and possibly unnecessary. With the caveat that someone trying to resurrect their career might take a last minute deal for a song because they see the situation as opportunity.
    TE's - They likely add a low name FA here. They drafted last year and have a hole. Dumping MacDonald creates some cap space, but creates a hole in the starting rotation. Not happening.
    My honest opinion is they rework some contracts to get Bud (likely franchised) under the cap. Maybe dump a couple guys as well to make that happen. They make only a couple back up FA moves at TE maybe receiver and they draft Oline or Bud's spot if they franchise him.
    Last edited by SteelerSask; 02-15-2020 at 01:49 PM.

US Veteran

I think they will address right Tackle perhaps with a free agent. IDK the money perameters, but I think they move feiler to guard and get someone who is ready to go. I guess they could get a really good right tackle in round 2,, who could come and start right away. But I don't think the guys behind Feiler are the answer.

I think this because Feiler started all year at tackle. Our running game suffered. Some blame it on Sarrett. I think its the talent and age of the current O line. And they could upgrade this talent by moving Feiler and getting a proven RT,, or Bring in a stud RT in the draft.

Gilbert was a 2nd rounder and he played a lot his rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by Black & Gold Bleeder View Post
    I think its the talent and age of the current O line. And they could upgrade this talent by moving Feiler and getting a proven RT,, or Bring in a stud RT in the draft. Gilbert was a 2nd rounder and he played a lot his rookie year.
    I agree, that's a darkhorse option for our 2nd round pick, if a stud guard or tackle happens to drop, would be hard to pass up. Particularly w the fact Ramon Foster looks to be moving on. If it's a tackle they can move Feiler to LG, if it's a guard they can plug him in Foster's spot and keep Feiler outside. I do think they add some bodies up and down the o-line, though who knows what they think they have in Okorafor. I could see a FA add here as well for depth.