Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Deeper Look into the Steelers RB Situation

A Deeper Look into the Steelers RB Situation

By CJ Lester SteelerNation.com   One of the biggest needs in the 2020 off-season for the Pittsburgh Steelers is arguably the running back position. I know I know; how dare I not think they are fine with former Pro Bowler and fan favorite James Conner as the lead horse? James Conner has been injury prone […]

More...

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Good write up. I don't know who we should go after, but we need somebody. I love JC but injuries have become the norm for him. I think we need the 2 headed monster but I'm not sure we have the other half on the roster.

FNG

I dont like the idea of having to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a rb.

We don't NEED a RB but if there is a legit 3 down back sitting there that we have high on our board, you have to take him. RB is not our No. 1 need, though, heading into this draft. If we get no one this year, it probably will be next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I dont like the idea of having to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a rb.
    You have to upgrade talent at RB/G/WR/T/ and NT. If a RB is BPA you take him. I like the idea of upgrade talent over what you don't care for.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

The Following User Likes This Post:

Nice article CJ and thank you for your timer in doing so. Part of last year's offensive obstacles was the play was dictated by the player(s) on the field. The opposing "D" was able to TEE off on our Personel packages. RB isn't a luxury pick it's a bonified need. If the right guy is there we need to pull the 6.5 second sprint to the podium and make the pick.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

Last year, we could have had Barkley in the backfield and, sure it would have helped, but not that much. Teams had 8 or 9 men in the box. Our O-line couldn't run block. Defenders were instantly in the backfield. We had minimal threat of a passing game. Sure, it would be NICE to have a top 3 down back but if you fix the O-line and have at least a serious threat of some sort of a passing attack, the running game opens up and the backs we have look a lot better than they did. That is a given. So, sure, if a legit 3 down back is sitting there (i.e. Dobbins or a couple others) at our pick in the 2nd, I would take him. But, to say it is our top need is far from it. I think our first pick (depending on what happens with Vance and free agency) will be the top TE, RB or WR on the board. I would be shocked if it weren't a skilled position or if there was a stud O-lineman still on the board.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

I ain't buyin' it DIC. We got running backs on the roster that can play just fine. What we don't have is a TE that can make a difference in our teams attitude to ignore the position. They would rather use a OLman to fill in for the position than use a TE we have on the roster.....not good.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...d-position-nfl

IMO using good and needy resources to acquire a castoff RB from the scrapheap is folly and short sighted and would be far more productive to spend that cash on a dependable talented TE....jus sayin'

Scratchin' and clawin' for another 'Bus' could very well end up with another Quincy Morgan.

Last edited by SteelChip; 02-19-2020 at 09:24 AM.

I hear you SteelChip but my point was more if the RIGHT guy (RB) was there as apposed to taking a "risk" guy (TE). If we chose either RB or TE that player has to be "starting" caliber, not a project. I personally don't know if either will be there as I see mocks having us take "D" 2nd round coupled with the weak TE class coming out.

Oh and I'm not writing James Conner off but also realize he can't be counted on, to much injury. Another thing in our favor is BEN ROETHLISBERGER, one who can mask a lot of our issues. Thanks SteelChip.

Salute the nation

RB is definitely a need, the question is can we afford to fill it when we have other more glaring holes?

if Jontahen taylor is there in rnd 2 he will be a better long term back than Conner and that you can use a good 1-3 punch of taylor conner snell and samuals as ur scat back.

or keep Conner add a vet at low cost like a AP or Gore for 10-12 carries while easing Snell in.

Esteemed Throbbing Member

if Taylor or Dobbins are there in the 2nd, we have to use our pick on RB.

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    You have to upgrade talent at RB/G/WR/T/ and NT. If a RB is BPA you take him. I like the idea of upgrade talent over what you don't care for.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    So your saying Conner is definitely NOT that guy?

** Kareem Hunt is a restricted free agent.

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
    RB is definitely a need, the question is can we afford to fill it when we have other more glaring holes?
    That's my whole point. I'd love to upgrade but at what cost to other position of more immediate needs? But BPA may really be in play in a big way with our first couple of picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    So your saying Conner is definitely NOT that guy?

** Kareem Hunt is a restricted free agent.
    Not a healthy guy which makes him a better backup candidate.
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    if Taylor or Dobbins are there in the 2nd, we have to use our pick on RB.
    I agree I would think they would be BPA if they managed to still be there...
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

Quote Originally Posted by TDX27 View Post
    Last year, we could have had Barkley in the backfield and, sure it would have helped, but not that much. Teams had 8 or 9 men in the box. Our O-line couldn't run block. Defenders were instantly in the backfield. We had minimal threat of a passing game. Sure, it would be NICE to have a top 3 down back but if you fix the O-line and have at least a serious threat of some sort of a passing attack, the running game opens up and the backs we have look a lot better than they did. That is a given. So, sure, if a legit 3 down back is sitting there (i.e. Dobbins or a couple others) at our pick in the 2nd, I would take him. But, to say it is our top need is far from it. I think our first pick (depending on what happens with Vance and free agency) will be the top TE, RB or WR on the board. I would be shocked if it weren't a skilled position or if there was a stud O-lineman still on the board.
    I always think of the lines OL/DL as the first link in the chain. If that link is weak and breaks the rest of the chain falls off.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steelr4evr View Post
    I always think of the lines OL/DL as the first link in the chain. If that link is weak and breaks the rest of the chain falls off.

GOOD thinking because it is true. BEN ROETHLISBERGER played behind arguable the WORSE OL in the NFL for nearly five years. Imagine had that line been a little respectable.

Salute the nation.

Most INtelligent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by F83 View Post
    if Jontahen taylor is there in rnd 2 he will be a better long term back than Conner and that you can use a good 1-3 punch of taylor conner snell and samuals as ur scat back.
    unless Josh Jones is still hanging around....then you grab the future HOF tackle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast