Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bud Dupree Leaves Representation before Officially Hitting Free Agency

Take a look at this analysis on Dupree - https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...sher-2019-cdc/

He has changed a number of aspects of his game - better technique, better hand use etc - and it has paid dividends in getting to the QB. To me that points to better coaching since Joey Porter was fired. I'm not sure who the OLBs coach was last year. I know Olsavsky was the ILB coach but maybe Keith Butler doubled up as OLB coach..? Either way, that gives me hope that this isn't a one hit wonder in a contract year.

I have no idea if that means that he will continue to improve but it makes me more comfrotable paying him a competitive rate - assuming that we can.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

My concern about signing dupree long term is will it hinder them from signing Watt, who is clearly the better player

US Veteran

We cant pay everyone top dollar . RIght now, you got Tuitt as 2nd highest paid on the team behind ben. How do we pay watt, bush, cam, haden, minkah, and nelson when he comes up again, You cant. Thats why people hated on Donahoe He let people walk.

For everyone saying he got better, his number steadily improved, etc. He had 20 sacks, 2 FF, 6 PDs, and 30 QB pressures (Watt had 36 this season alone) combined in his previous 4 years. There really was only one way to go, up.
    The Steelers usually do not let rookies they really like play out their entire deal before offering an extension, they did let Bud play out his contract, so they obviously weren't real impressed with him

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Here We GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    For everyone saying he got better, his number steadily improved, etc. He had 20 sacks, 2 FF, 6 PDs, and 30 QB pressures (Watt had 36 this season alone) combined in his previous 4 years. There really was only one way to go, up.
    The Steelers usually do not let rookies they really like play out their entire deal before offering an extension, they did let Bud play out his contract, so they obviously weren't real impressed with him

If you notice around the league, first rounders play out their contracts now because of the 5th year option. You retain a player for 5 years before you really have to pay them market value.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    If you notice around the league, first rounders play out their contracts now because of the 5th year option. You retain a player for 5 years before you really have to pay them market value.
    Steelers don't do that, they signed Tuitt heading into his final year of his rookie deal. They won't let Watt play out all 5 years

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by alancac98 View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't see it that way. Bud the Dud did not start to adequately live up to the 1st round pick he was until this year. Other than that, he has been very pedestrian to put it mildly. In fact, I highly doubt he would have done anything this year without Watt on the other side! Though we have no one with game time experience (all because Tomlin can't rotate players in much), that doesn't mean that either Ola or Skipper can't be a good to great replacement for Bud. Hell, we lived at least 3 years pulling our hair out over Bud not being able to play the damn position, I'm sure we can give Ola or Skipper a couple years to develop. I look at it this way - what could Ola or Skipper look like in 5 years if given the same opportunity Dupree was given? How long did it take Harrison to see the field and look what we had with him! Opposite Watt, a rotation of Ola and Skipper will be just fine. I hope they let Dupree walk and message both Ola and Skipper, next man up - who wants it more?
    Nope, I'm not gonna agree with this.

Buddy was not always stellar - we know that. But he has a better coach than Peezy and he was put in the right situations to excel.

Even when he wasn't making all the sacks he applied pressure.

The defense as a whole is better than good. Losing Dupree will be a huge setback...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bermudasteel View Post

Buddy was not always stellar - we know that. But he has a better coach than Peezy and he was put in the right situations to excel.

The defense as a whole is better than good. Losing Dupree will be a huge setback...

I agree!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black & Gold Bleeder View Post
    We cant pay everyone top dollar . RIght now, you got Tuitt as 2nd highest paid on the team behind ben. How do we pay watt, bush, cam, haden, minkah, and nelson when he comes up again, You cant. Thats why people hated on Donahoe He let people walk.
    Bermuda would let Tuitt walk...

He ranks pretty low in QB pressures, so he's not getting much pressure.

And it would cost more to cut Tuitt than it would to keep him this season I believe.
    Last edited by Coryea; 02-21-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Pretty clear that Coryea is hell bent on not paying Bud. Damn glad we don't have a Madden GM running this team. Pay the man and move onto the next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
    Pretty clear that Coryea is hell bent on not paying Bud. Damn glad we don't have a Madden GM running this team. Pay the man and move onto the next contract.
    LOL, except I've said tag him or give him 13per, I guess that's hell bent on not signing him?

you said he's not a top tier player but want to pay him top 10 money. nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
    you said he's not a top tier player but want to pay him top 10 money. nuff said
    LOL, well that is possible to make top 10 money and not be a top tier player, top tier guys are Mack, Watt, used to be Von Miller. I thought I was hell bent on not signing him?

And that won't be top 10 money after this off season is over probably, definitely not after next off season.

Here We GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    Steelers don't do that, they signed Tuitt heading into his final year of his rookie deal. They won't let Watt play out all 5 years

Not so sure about Watt. If the new CBA goes through it makes the 4th and 5th year option guaranteed. Most teams will take advantage of this.

Bermuda would let Tuitt walk...

That's not an option right now Berm

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhurt View Post
    Oh man I dont want to franchise Bud at 16 mil. Hes not worth that and it really ties our hands. There are some potential F/As that would be far less than what Bud will want or what the Tag will impose.
    I'm not that worried about keeping him. Jason Worilds had one good season too.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Litos View Post
    That's not an option right now Berm

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app
    True but I'd still have it as an option...

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Not so sure about Watt. If the new CBA goes through it makes the 4th and 5th year option guaranteed. Most teams will take advantage of this.
    They don't want their players getting to test free agency, that's why they sign them before their final year of their contract. Troy, Ben, Heath, Pouncey, Woodley, Decastro, Cam, Tuitt probably some I can't think of all signed new contracts before finishing their rookie deals

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast