Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it really get any better.

US Veteran

Does it really get any better.

I feel like Stan from South Park. Everything is shit.

2019 season ended with disappointment. Then the Kung foo flu hits and the country loses its mind.

Looking fwd to a sense of normalcy. Not happening.

Looking at college football canceling entire season,. Yet we're sending the kids and college students back to class. It makes zero sense.

Now too it off with zero real training camp news in mid August. Preseason is cancelled. Magically football will start and the teams will be competitive and top notch. Oh yeah. How many fans will be in the stands? Mmmhmm. Honestly. I'm just saying fuck it till mid Nov when all this stuff will magically go away. Anyone have any positivity or real camp news to share other than players released from their covid isolations?

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Here is one of my famous quotes

" I don't have a rear view mirror"

Think about that one and miraculously a lot of seemingly issues go away.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

The Following User Likes This Post:

The whole thing only makes sense if you look at it in light of political agendas. Other than that, it is all hogwash, double talk, contradictory, annoying, and wrong.

2020 is a historically terrible year, but things will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

US Veteran

I'm strong enough!

Iím not sure the country will ever be the same again honestly. Right now, I canít even picture people being elbow to elbow at a concert. Psycho people will be always have this virus as an excuse to act out when people get too close.. this whole thing is just a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTC

Quote Originally Posted by Black & Gold Bleeder View Post
    I feel like Stan from South Park. Everything is shit.

2019 season ended with disappointment. Then the Kung foo flu hits and the country loses its mind.

Looking fwd to a sense of normalcy. Not happening.

Looking at college football canceling entire season,. Yet we're sending the kids and college students back to class. It makes zero sense.

Now too it off with zero real training camp news in mid August. Preseason is cancelled. Magically football will start and the teams will be competitive and top notch. Oh yeah. How many fans will be in the stands? Mmmhmm. Honestly. I'm just saying fuck it till mid Nov when all this stuff will magically go away. Anyone have any positivity or real camp news to share other than players released from their covid isolations?
    My son is entering the eighth grade, ready to finally be the go-to guy on his middle school team after paying his dues as a seventh grader who started, but rarely got the ball. His league (Colonial) was all set to start on time...then our feckless governor comes out with his offhanded "recommendation" that there should be no sports played until 2021, and now the PIAA is scrambling to come up with a new plan. Ridiculous.

When you know that your time is close at hand
    Maybe then you'll begin to understand
    Life down here is just a strange illusion

-- Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

If it wasn't an election year it might all look different. A shame politics is playing a major role in how we are handling this.
    Quote Originally Posted by stillwright View Post
    Wait...are you talking about yourself or paperclip?

Super Dave: I am a(Super) contributor with an up to date subscription. I just never whined about the tag.

You should stick to talking football........

The Following 6 Users Like This Post:

All of those times that I had been out in public bitching about people being disgusting, filthy, unsanitary pigs and then....the kung flu fixed it all for me. Stores sanitize my cart for me, people are washing their hands and using hand sanitizer, coughing and sneezing into their elbows, using paper towels to open bathroom doors. I mean, it's a fucking miracle for me. The only impact that it's had on me was my Son's HS Graduation was a bit different and I'm stocking up on Brandy to be prepared for round 2 of Gov Wolf's shit show.

Oh, and my daughter got money back from her college since she had to finish out at home. So, college was cheaper as well.

Win win baby

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

There is a lot of GOOD in this world, just the media chooses to ignor and they play up the negative. I see kindness everyday. I think about how BEN ROETHLISBERGER is committed to the K-9 of the police forces around the country. I think of the volunteer stories of different NFL players as well as focus in on steelers players and not forgetting the everyday common folk volunteering as well.

STEELERNATION.COM just put out a feel good story of James Conner not Opting Out.

So goodness in in the eye of the searcher and it is there and strong contrary to what the media / agenda wants you to believe.

Salute the nation

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Well actually according to National Geographic's commercial regarding tonight's Savage Kingdom show at 9PM tonight, "What doesn't kill you, makes you queen". I'm looking forward to the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Chooch View Post
    Well actually according to National Geographic's commercial regarding tonight's Savage Kingdom show at 9PM tonight, "What doesn't kill you, makes you queen". I'm looking forward to the show!
    I will have to check that out.

I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

Quote Originally Posted by Drink IRON City View Post
    There is a lot of GOOD in this world, just the media chooses to ignor and they play up the negative. I see kindness everyday. I think about how BEN ROETHLISBERGER is committed to the K-9 of the police forces around the country. I think of the volunteer stories of different NFL players as well as focus in on steelers players and not forgetting the everyday common folk volunteering as well.

STEELERNATION.COM just put out a feel good story of James Conner not Opting Out.

So goodness in in the eye of the searcher and it is there and strong contrary to what the media / agenda wants you to believe.

Salute the nation
    Some of that is where you live always thought hardworking country people were more personable good natured.

I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    Some of that is where you live always thought hardworking country people were more personable good natured.

I agree to an extent but the city folk seem to have shut themselves off to seeing it. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the "hardened" aspect of city dwelling. It doesn't help with the media constantly blaring injustices or threatening situations to the average Joe. Kindness is there and it's in each and nearly every person alive ONCE the hardness is taken out of them. Granted for some it is a lot more difficult to remove the hardness than it is for others.

Long story cut short. Two years ago an out of state plates car was along side of road 1:30 AM. I pull up with my bright lites on to blind him I'm 100ft from them and get out and hollar....what's wrong. The guy hollers back out of gas and starts walking my way. I hollar stay where you're at I'll get gas and be back in 15 minutes. I drive off (home) grab my always filled 2 gal gas can and my (protection device). Drive back and see him and VERY pregnant wife outside car. I park truck 100 ft back bright lites and get out of my truck and carry gas to them (they didn't know if I had someone else in my truck or not. He gasses himself up and can't thank me enough. The wife hugged me and said she had to get out of car because she wanted to thank me, she struggled and got back in car and the kid asked me how much he owed me. I said nothing, just one thing and that was to play if forward. He knew what that was and asked for my phone number I gave it to him because she had given me theirs. 3 weeks later he called and said they had the baby safely and all was good, also he told me of his good deed he played forward.

Point is he was from a big city and had no problem being kind. I know well enough that evil exist(s) rampantly and many have been hardened by it. It's getting that hardened evil out of you that can make you happy in kindness and live life the way you were meant to live it.

Sorry for the run on and on but the GOLDEN ticket was the stranded people has a STEELERS decal in their rear window.

Salute the nation

The Following 7 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    I hope you are right about that Hoot but there are signs that say there may be some serious problems ahead for the NFL.

How the NFL is shooting itself in the foot, over and over

The NFL is on the verge of precipitous decline due to a weakening of the three legs of the stool upon which the league's empire sits: attendance, viewership, and revenue. All of these items are interrelated. All three are being eroded. Taken together, it is likely that the NFL has reached its high water mark and instead of expanding, as it dreams, the league will instead diminish in importance from here on out.

In response to this pandemic, NFL games will be played in empty or near empty stadiums ó that is, if the games are played at all. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have already canceled their 2020 fall season, and other major collegiate conference may follow suit. All it would take to foreclose on the 2020 NFL season is an outbreak of COVID-19 among a number of players. If the virus is as contagious as the experts say, this might be hard to avoid. This would wreak havoc on NFL finances, and contentious questions would then arise on how, or whether, to compensate the players, coaches, and support personnel.

A second reason for the NFL to be concerned is the number of fans the league's preachy leftward tilt has angered. This factor affects not merely attendance, but also and more importantly the critical TV ratings. It is hard to say how many fans are alienated due to the NFL's "wokeness" and its embrace of Black Lives Matter. As advertisers see a falloff in viewership, they will cut back on spending for NFL games, hurting the league's revenue even further. How, then, will teams pay the obscene 2020 season salaries to players like Patrick Mahomes ($45 million), Arron Rogers ($10.5 million), Julio Jones ($22 million), Amari Cooper ($20 million), and so on?

The third major factor undercutting the NFL's attendance, viewership, and revenue is demographic. Simply put, the younger generation is not in love with the game nearly as much as its elders are. To them, the games are boring. They're filled with endless commercials and a blizzard of game-stopping penalties, some of which nobody can really defend. The NFL's greed is also coming back to haunt it. It presents game after game on Sundays and then follows up with a game on Monday and Thursday nights. Can we say over-saturation here? Only a sports fanatic can absorb that much football.

Finally, there is this: should the NFL lose TV viewing fans in 2020 for whatever reason, it will be hard to win many of them back. Why? It's because of habit. Many fans watch NFL games out of habit. They're on auto-pilot. It's Sunday, so turn on the games. Ditto for Monday night. This conditioning was slowly formed, beginning, I'd guess, in the 1960s or 1970s, when the games and the players who played them were different from today. Break the habit for even a season, however, and the scales will fall off the eyes on many a fan. He then will wonder, why did he ever spend five hours on Sunday watching football when he could have been doing so many other things?
    https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...#ixzz6VDm0q3M5

Quote Originally Posted by SteelChip View Post
    I hope you are right about that Hoot but there are signs that say there may be some serious problems ahead for the NFL.

It won't be a good year for them no matter how you slice it. I have already mentally moved on. My interest level for this season and sports in general sits at zero. All I need to see is what happens before the game week one to seal the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelChip View Post

I meant life in general will get better in response to the OP concern about 2020 sucking on all fronts.

The NFL...I am on record in many threads here saying the NFL has a long term revenue issue for various reasons though my major point has been point 3 in the article you post above: today's youth don't play or in love as much as my generation. Kids today have so many choices for activities that it is darn overwhelming. Parents are choosing to enroll their kids in non-impact/contact activities. Others have made some good points about it being a generational sport, but my totally anecdotal observations of youth football around here (pop warner, middle school, and HS) is that participation has been in decline for about 10 or 15 years. Other folks I know in the coaching community across the country have witnessed similar declines although there are certainly hot spots of participation (Texas, Georgia, etc). A potential reduction in audience as my kids generation and limited ability to go global (rest of world simply not fans of the sport) is a significant long term problem for the NFL.

US Veteran

my OP may have sounded in general, because everything is affecting it. But I was pointing toward this coming season. There is a lot of over reaction to covid, and the NFL will embrace it, as well as the political BS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast